Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: CineForm News

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 CineForm News 
    Couple of items for today. There are new Prospect 4K and Neo 4K build that went live today (Version 3.2.3 build 152.) But the reason for these new releases is to help support CineForm new standalone R3D conversion tool.

If you are thinking, "don't we already have that with RedCine?", you are correct and RedCine does much more than what CineForm is offering. Instead we are adding to your workflow options, particularly for those with PCs and/or GPUs insufficent to run RedCine. The tool is in public beta, currently with the unimaginative name R3D2DPX.exe (liked the sound of R3D2.) It only converts R3D files directly to DPX, AVI or MOV (CineForm compressed), very little else, not even a GUI. It doesn't require the GPU, so it will work on any SSE2 equiped PC (i.e. P4 onwards.) But there is no color processing for image enhance features like that of RedCine, you can simply set the size, format, and curve, and the rest is a direct conversion the preserve the full 12-bit space of the source.

Other than those who can't use RedCine, due to PC limitations, who is this tool intended to support? We believe many users would prefer to do all their color work further downstream in their post workflow. Doing the look in RedCine is new to many.

The tool is in public beta, and is completely free for the foreseeable future, and likely remain in beta for the same length of time. We are not charging as this effort was not Red endorsed, so as the camera changes the tool may have to change to keep up. It will work with your existing CineForm encoding licenses, although you will need to scale 4K images down if you only have HD or 2K licenses (some of the curves require buld 152) -- DPX outputs are not impacted.

So if you are interested, please read the tech note over here: http://www.cineform.com/products/Tec...R3DConvert.htm
    David Newman
    CTO, CineForm
    http://twitter.com/David_Newman

wow. super neat.

Thank you David. I'm definitely interested.

I look forward to your feedback.
    David Newman
    CTO, CineForm
    http://twitter.com/David_Newman

This thing is amazing! This is one of the things I love most about RED, it has a business model that encourages CHOICES. Now I can use REDCine for some things, but when I need fast output that's simple, this will be perfect!

Thank you David, and thank you RED for the wonder atmosphere to make stuff like this possible.

If it were Sony, all we would be getting are complaints and threats right about now.

That's why I hate those Jerks.

RED works WITH people, while Sony just tries to control them.

Jay

Wow guys , this is such a huge effort again.
    You give us more options and paths to follow.

I just don't get it , when I needed some updates of soft and plugs or implemented codecs in the past, we had to beg forever and it would still take months, You guys all come up with sollutions even before the mass has adopted to a certain format:

MOST COOL THING: it's even like that that you can convert to cineform RAW, wich drives me over maby getting a SI-2K and speedgrade for raw while I'm waiting on my red, and still meaningfull when I would like to mix footage coming from this cam in the future to mix in the same projects as my red footage, without leaving a certain application
    It's a nice option.....,

I indeed forget to give a big applause giving us the upportunity to use most of the cores instead of only the gpu when things need to go fast.

This is a wonderful tool, I would love to figure out how to use it!
    Here's the command line I tried:

C:\test> r3d2dpx new%04d.dpx A003_C004_080104_001.R3D -o2 -s0001

Should it work? it just sits there, taking 1,688K memory, 0% CPU time and no disk access. Seems like it's waiting for something. I'm running WinXP SP2. If I type control-C after several minutes it quits immediately, but no files were created.

I am curious about noise and artifacts from the debayer - very curious to do comparisons.
    Mark L. Pederson

Mark,

From what I can tell.. There is NONE.. It's pretty amazing

Jay