Thread: Telecine Recommendations?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Telecine Recommendations? 
    Senior Member Christopher Barrett's Avatar
    I have an old neg for one of my college films that I'd like to transfer. It's original neg glued up in single strand. Can anyone recommend a good house to transfer this for me? Since this is like 16 years old, it may come apart, so I need someone who can deal with re-splicing if need be.

Thanks much!

CB

Here's the piece, by the way... crappy transfer done at school.
    Last edited by Christopher Barrett; 03-13-2012 at 01:25 PM.

I DP'd the hell out of that shit.
    The Website

Try your local house, Shooters http://www.shootersinc.com

For higher-end work, and for someone that can deal with fragile film, deal with cinelicious. cinelicious.tv

Lower prices can often be had at Alpha Cine in Seattle if the budget wont work for the two above.

Chris, Thanks for sharing this, your film is a treasure! I would love to have something like that about my GF, but he passed one month before I graduated so I never got the chance.
    Epic-X #5585 - Amphibico Rouge Underwater Housing
    www.jeffwhitehurst.com
    Nothing Happens Until Something Moves
    - Albert Einstein

Thanks Vince, I just emailed Cinelicious. I really need to get this properly archived and aren't too concerned with the cost.

Jeff, I shot this just a few months before my Grandfather passed. I'm so glad I did it. We watched it right after his service and it was a very emotional moment. I'd really like to find time to interview my entire family and have them tell their life stories.

CB

The Website

Christopher, if you're not concerned about cost, there's also Filmworkers Club in Chicago.
    Mike Yonts
    www.mikeyontsfilms.tv

Epic-X 1885

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Spypost in San Francisco is top notch. Not cheap though. http://www.spypost.com/

Chris, best of luck wherever you take it, I hope the neg is still in good shape. Prime Focus has always given me the kind of personal attention this sort of project deserves, they have offices around the world but sadly not Chicago. Their colorist Alex Berman in NY has an incredible sensitivity for bringing emotions out of the grade, especially with the tones in black and white footage. We just brought him some 7222 yesterday...

If you end up needing a wet gate transfer there's an excellent lab in New York, the name is failing me at 3am but I can dig it up

(film is beautiful by the way, the moment where he's turned away at 5:35 and the manufactured landscapes are going to stick with me...)
    The more opinions you have, the less you see.
    Wim Wenders

Thanks so much, everyone. Cinelicious has seduced me with their Scanity which is supposed to have awesome dynamic range. I'm having them output DPX sequences that I'll bring into Resolve. I have a feeling I'm going to see stuff in this film that I never saw before. Very psyched to finally do it up right!

The Website