Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Brain Freeze

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Brain Freezing on Epic-X 
    I just received the Side Handle for my Epic-X and was programming the User Buttons when the camera froze. There was nothing I could do but a hard shut down by holding the power button in until the Epic turned off. When I restarted the camera I got a yellow rectangular warning window that said that the camera was improperly shut down and that I should not cut the power before turning the camera off properly. I turned off the camera and then powered the camera back up. Tried one more time to adjust the buttons on the side handle and the camera froze again.

I called Tech Support about two hours ago to see what I should do from here, no response yet. I do not want further complicate the problem by doing anything else until I know what I am dealing with. Has anyone here experienced anything like this? Could really use some advice. Thanks.

I'd wait until you get a response from Red, unless it's urgent to get it working.
    Director/Digital Camera Operator/2nd AC/DIT/Data Manager
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Thanks Eric. Still no word back from Red.

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Mike, please save a log file from your EPIC-X and send it to RED SUPPORT for diagnosis by filing a tech support ticket here https://www.red.com/contact_us/new.

NICK

Thanks Nick. Do you want me to turn on the camera again? Should I disconnect the side handle before I turn it on. Would a love a step by step or a simple do don't list. Afraid I may further exacerbate the issue. Will be happy to send another support ticket. I have already sent one, but with out the log file. Just let me know if it is ok to power the X up and in what configuration it should be in. Thanks again Nick for your help on this.

6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    What firmware version are you running? I know there were some crashes in the past related to this but they should be fixed in the latest release code (3.0.0)

A yellow warning dialog? All the notification dialogs are grey.

What key were you trying to remap? Were you using the touch screen to change the mapping or the sidehandle?

Just upgraded to 3.0.0 a few days ago, just before the side handle arrived. I believe it was yellowish. Can't see it now as the camera is off, but I may have been mistaken on the color. The rectangle appeared center frame. I was attempting to program the "A, B, C, D" buttons on the face of the side handle. Wanted to remove WB and add focus tools. I started with A dn then proceeded to C, testing after each one to verify that it worked. The camera froze or locked up when trying to program the D button. I was using the LCD to do the programming. As I mentioned above I tried this twice and had the same frozen results.

One thing I should share here is that when the camera froze my first thought was, Oh s#$t, I went too fast with the transition from the test push of the C button to the reprogramming of the D button. Not sure if it matters, but it was my first gut reaction. Thanks guys for all the help.

I got my email response from the ticket and sent in the log file in a return email. Reference RED #68094.

9. #9 freeze 
    I just got my Epic brain and I was trying to set the buttons on the brain and the TS LCD and the camera froze on me like 4 times. It's been good besides that but it was a little annoying.
    Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Justin McAleece
    Red One Camera Rental and Video Production
    Justin at BLAREMedia dot net

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    I was able to reproduce the problem in 3.0.0 and was incorrect earlier when I said the known issue had already been addressed in this version. It will, however, be fixed in the next release.

The problem happens when you are using the touchscreen to adjust a value in the drop down list box and your finger leaves the box area while you are dragging. For a work-around (until the next bug release version is released) please try to make small movements withing the drop down - or use the side handle (rather than the touchscreen) to adjust the mappings.