Thread: new xeon motherboards by supermicro.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 new xeon motherboards by supermicro. 
    This is probably what I' ve been waiting for .

http://www.supermicro.com/products/n...SELECT&type=SW

would love to know what we can expect from it. at least it's probably on my shopping list. would love to see how it works with ppro and resolve when using without expander chassis. It has got usb3 as well as sata3.

what do you guys think about it??? is this what we've been waiting for??

imho the
    X9DAi would be most appropriate for us, unless someone proves me wrong for some reason.
    audio and image postproduction in Antwerp. 2x recording studio with 5.1 surround.
    www.nuhollywood.com

2 x INTEL XEON E5-2670

CINEBENCH 11.5 TEST

TASK MANAGER - Physical Number of Threads

heh heh heh...
    CINEMATOGRAPHER
    www.filip.camera
    IMDb

I've been thinking about that board too.

I'm hoping that HP will announce a new Z800 and Apple a new MacPro so I can compare specs before building.

I've had very good luck with SuperMicro server boards, but a couple of things to consider / watch out for.

The boards don't always fit in a standard case and their layout can make finding an appropriate case challenging.

So why not buy a case from SuperMicro? For a server it's not a bad answer as long as you are prepared to hear a jet taking off when the server starts up. They should be marketed as SuperLoud. I've found their tower layouts lacking compared to something like the Z800.

That said, I've not owned one of their tower cases so I'll leave it to someone with more experience to comment on that.

Cheers,

Steve
    Uroboros Films Turning Vision Into Reality www.uroborosfilms.com

4. #4 wicked 
    cant wait to get me one of those! thanks for the heads up

Stephen,

HP has already announced new Z series systems. There's a new Z620 and Z820 with the E5 CPUs.

I've been a fan of SuperMicro motherboards for years. I will be building a couple new dual E5 workstations in the coming weeks or month or so, once the new nVidia cards ship. I'm tempted by the ATI 7900 series, but when it all comes down to it, some of my key apps rely on CUDA too much.

Oh and yeah, SuperMicro cases kinda suck. Lots of better (and quieter) options out there. I don't mind their slim 1U/2U server cases, but their towers... ugh.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

Dell just got up a new system supporting the e5-2600's . Can't wait for the new nvidia kepler cards to be announced(within the next month). It'll be such a beast system to config. Final piece will be Adobe CS 6.
    SMALLEST SIG EVER

Thanks Jeff,

I've been checking the build to order section at HP which hasn't been updated yet. A little digging turned up the Z820 brochure. Having looked at it, the SM board is looking better to me.

So for me the $64,000.00 question is what does software debayer look like on a tuned 16 core 3.1GHz machine

While not the value / price sweet spot that the 8 core 2.6 and the 6 core 3.3 are, I'd rather have a general purpose tool than buy another Rocket if I can get reasonably close in debayer speeds.

(Not as a replacement for my current Rocket but in addition, e.g. for portable work the TB / Rocket combo will likely be a very good answer.)

Also with the additional PCIe lanes I'm no longer painted into a corner when I include a rocket in the mix.

Looking forward to seeing some feedback from the forum

Steve
    Uroboros Films Turning Vision Into Reality www.uroborosfilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Orlandic View Post
    2 x INTEL XEON E5-2670
    CINEBENCH 11.5 TEST
    TASK MANAGER - Physical Number of Threads
    heh heh heh...
    Damn. I gotta get me some of that!