Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Red One and Epic combined

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Red One and Epic combined 
    I'm on a shoot where we have a Red One and a Red Epic shooting. The ONE is shooting 4K 2:33:1. The Epic is shooting 5K 2.37:1. I'm trying to get a clean 2.4:1 image at 2K that will be easy to edit in FCP7 without any letterboxes. I've set the crop for the ONE to 4319x1800 center crop to make it an actual 2.4:1 and the Epic footage is cropping to 5120x2134 center crop. So now both have the same 2.4:1 aspect ratio.

When I export, I'm putting out ProRes LT 2160x900 (half resolution of the RED One) on all footage. When I do that, the Epic footage looks fine, but the ONE footage comes out with the horizontal hold out of whack. See attached. Any ideas how to keep this from happening? Any red flags that anybody can see in my workflow? I know FCP gets sctretchy on the footage when going full screen when using non-standard resolutions. If anybody has any ideas on how to deal with this mixed bag of source material with minimal road bumps, please do tell. I haven't ever tried mixing ONE and Epic before with their non-matching settings.
    Attached Images
    Sam Crutsinger
    Media Kingpin/CTO
    Confidence Bay, Inc.

Edit in confidence... anywhere.

Whatever the glitch was that caused the above flipped out video, it fixed itself. I looked at it at one point and it was bad. I looked at it again and it was fine. Anybody got a number for a good gremiln exterminator?

Still, anybody see any problems with my making Prores files all one size from both sources as far as hassles in going back to the full rez for the online? We'll probably color on Resolve.
    Sam Crutsinger
    Media Kingpin/CTO
    Confidence Bay, Inc.

Edit in confidence... anywhere.

ughh, I get this kind of shit regularly; I had it in tcp, I have it in ppro cs 5.5. I don't know what does it, I always associated it with stretching the capacities of the computer a bit too much; or the programs. Sorry, can't help you, anxious to hear if anyone else comes up with answers.

4.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #4  
    Red Team
    Sam,

What build of RCX are you using? Can you send verbose log files to redcinex at red dot com when this happens? From the details you've provided I've tried to recreate, but no luck. Do you have a rocket?

Thanks,
    David