Thread: Ultimate Sticky?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Ultimate Sticky? 
    We just had a Scarlet-X arrive and although I've read a lot in these years about working with R3D native, Prores workflows, Clipfinder, it's all a bit of guesswork.
    There is a lot of information on these boards, but it's not in one thread. Everyone's workflow is different, so you cannot put all those in one thread, although I've seen some good work by people here.

But I'm more looking for basic information.
    You have all these choices: REDLOG, REDGAMMA, ... What is what?
    I'm GUESSING that REDLOG is a kind of RAW image that gives you a lot of room to grade, but doesn't look nice as is.
    REDGAMMA 2 looks more like a normal RGB image, but gives less room for Grading.

Maybe the above explanation is completely wrong by a newbie who knows nothing about it. Maybe it's a pretty correct basic explanation. I'm not searching for workflows but something to let me check if I have correct interpretations or not.
    A kind of basic dictionary of REDGAMMA, REDCOLOR, REDLOG, DPX LOG, FLUT, what is a 'LOG'-image, ...?
    Just the OPTIONS EXPLAINED, with maybe some basic pro and con for every thing.
    As I said, I'm guessing from what I've read, Prores faster playback but it's not RAW for grading, you can relink, DPX are image-sequences a lot used for grading, ... But it's all guessing, I'm not sure.

So... Anyone care to make a kind of ultimate sticky with these things explained in a basic manner for newbies? So we can go for a workflow, but knowingly, and not guessingly ;-)
    And the sticky can be upgraded when new options like REDCOLOR 3 arrives etc.

I think many people are looking for this, and it would be greatly appreciated by myself and the community of new Scarlet-X owners who are coming from a different place but still want to tackle the post-production correctly and make sure we are using the best possible options for our RED workflows and not antiquated misinformation which does not deliver the best results.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post

So... Anyone care to make a kind of ultimate sticky with these things explained in a basic manner for newbies? So we can go for a workflow, but knowingly, and not guessingly ;-)
    And the sticky can be upgraded when new options like REDCOLOR 3 arrives etc.

I think many people are looking for this, and it would be greatly appreciated by myself and the community of new Scarlet-X owners who are coming from a different place but still want to tackle the post-production correctly and make sure we are using the best possible options for our RED workflows and not antiquated misinformation which does not deliver the best results.
    I had a similar question, where I was trying to understand "green" only settings in redcine-x ... couldn't find anything obvioius (green only has some really interesting effects for tracking).

I'm hoping the RED Library will solve this issue. Would save a ton of my time, right now you basically have to read posts twice a day too keep updated with what's going on - and there's no easy way to filter out what isn't an essential read. Also old "important" posts are buried in pages of random threads, and the search commands really are not functional in actually finding stuff(i.e. the word green was a hopeless search, sub forum searches also didn't work well). I would love it if http://reduser.net/forum/member.php?58-Graeme-Nattress wrote a few white papers.
    http://www.youtube.com/patrickfaithart
    "Litl" #250 "Pudl" #397 of "Ink" (Monochrome) #3752

A lot of those are older versions of the RED color science. REDcolor2/REDgamma2 and REDlog Film are the latest and greatest (RG3 and RC3 come tomorrow though).

This is a RAW camera so you aren't necessarily losing anything by using older color sciences, it just takes a fancier/complex curve to get the look you are going for.

Senior Member Christopher Barrett's Avatar
    The most popular choice (until later today) is RedColor 2 (For Color Profile) & RedGamma 2 (For Gamma Curve). If I run into contrast issues, then I'll go with RedLogFilm... that will often reel in hilights that are totally blown in RG 2... then you just need to apply an S-Curve to add contrast.

Hope that get's you going...

CB

I DP'd the hell out of that shit.
    The Website

So REDGAMMA is just like REDLOG but with a pre-designed gamma curve on it that works best in most situations?
    So you would rather use REDGAMMA if you want to have 'fast' dailies or want to have a good basis to start from, and REDLOG if you want the REAL RAW negative to color correct from - and have the time to do so?

(thanks for everyone's input btw)

So REDGAMMA is just like REDLOG but with a pre-designed gamma curve on it that works best in most situations?
    So you would rather use REDGAMMA if you want to have 'fast' dailies or want to have a good basis to start from, and REDLOG if you want the REAL RAW negative to color correct from - and have the time to do so?

(thanks for everyone's input btw)
    There you go!

Maybe you would swap REDLOG for REDLOG film as the go to standard for pro grading.

SCARLET-X "Mathilda"

"Life is full of obstacles. They never end. The ones that get past them have the richest life."
    jim jannard

"if your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough."
    robert capa

It's a whole new world, coming from XDCAM (for instance) but one I have been looking forward a lot.

And can anyone explain what FLUT control is?

It's a whole new world, coming from XDCAM (for instance) but one I have been looking forward a lot.

And can anyone explain what FLUT control is?
    Dude, do some reading - read the Redcine X manual. Do a search on this forum. This level of question make same want to stop participating in Reduser, which I thought was for professionals. And before I get flamed for this., virtually the entire Internet and DVX user are already out there for noobs. It's cool to ask tough questions and subjective questions, but not that level of question that is right there in the Redcine manual.

Rob,

point taken about reading the manuals (although I had read the whole Scarlet manual, didn't got to REDCINE yet, watched some tutorials).

BTW: I proposed one sticky with a kind of basic dictionary so it would have all this basic information in one thread, but again as a kind of look-up dictionary. I still think this is a good idea.