Thread: REDmote Station?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My take is this - Jim didn't set up RED to revolutionize the broadcast live production industry. If he had I think we would have been looking at 5 years of explosive development in wireless transmission, embedded meta data from camera and back to camera fro production, and desktop/software based video switching targetted at high quality IP based delivery.

This is one area where I don't think RED should focus their current efforts very much based on their existing offerings, because they would be reaching just to maintain parity with the opposition. If Jim got the bug to do it, and he may well have already depending on what's in the lab, I think the product he would end up offering would be a separate brain to the Scarlet and Epic that was made fit for purpose for those industries.

Nothing RED has ever done indicates they are happy retrofitting their offerings just to be equal as one of the pack, every piece of equipment they offer screams 'I bet you never thought we could do that' rather than just 'Here's something you already know, just done by us'.

The second anything in their product range has a feeling of being equitable to other peoples offerings they will I am sure have serious questions about why they are even in business.

Don't ask RED to fit into the existing broadcast industry, ask them to revolutionize it, and then you might see something you like.

Well, they just announced wireless 1080p in that new MEIZLER MODULE. I do not see making a whole new camera body as being in line with the philosophy of Epic. Modular is something that enables them to all of what you mention with just a new broadcast module. Also a system like I mentioned would far exceed the competition, not meet it. Sure it would be awesome to see RED entirely transform the processes in one go, but that's not what they have done to cinema either yet. They started with the camera and production workflow, now they are working on RedRay and projectors to finish out delivery. With broadcast I see them doing it the same way. make a module that lets people upgrade to RED cameras. This enables them to do a live broadcast AND make a 4K master of the same shoot if need be, or use each seperately. After that they can make the hardware to deliver 4k directly to the viewer if they decide they want to.

Just ran across this in the Scarlet specs.

REMOTE CONTROL REDLINK Wireless, Ethernet, RS232, GPI Trigger

Anyone know what that Ethernet remote control consists of or what it's specs are? If the Ethernet control spec is available I could write a program to do all of this quite easily... Then I would just have to add a control interface.
    I'm just an Engineering student that happens to work at a local low budget class A TV station, but I dream of a day when we too can join the REDvolution and become a true REDuser.

Senior Mechanical Engineering, Walla Walla University.

I don't know- with goodies like the on set ipad app some of the live stuff looks like low-hanging fruit. I know that the daily function is not real time However even if RED keeps doing what it is doing I think the live stuff will evolve on its own time from a purely "we make convenient options" standpoint. You don't have to be first in every market to be successful, but adding a module for live mix/ transmission is a no-brainer if you think you can sell it to existing customers wether it is for video village on the move, or live mix. We use our camera for live events a few times a year because it is easy to do. Not having to set up cabling is a plus in my book, and making everything wireless would be cutting edge in all industries IMO.
    J.D. Frey
    dead workers party

JD, you make a good point there. I just hope it can be done in such a way that it will be friendly to live production shading. It tires me to hear people talk about RED cameras as not really compatible with live production. At this point they don't really work for people that require a live shading operator. DOF will always be an objection for some, but so far that's the only one that is inherent to the camera that I have heard of. I don't think RED likes their products being inferior so I think they will fix the simple issues that are deal breakers for many that mainly do live stuff. They have lots of other stuff to do too though, so hopefully it doesn't get pushed down the road to much longer.
    I'm just an Engineering student that happens to work at a local low budget class A TV station, but I dream of a day when we too can join the REDvolution and become a true REDuser.

Last year I worked as an operator on a short turnaround comedy/talk program which shot in multiple locations, and was posted same day for late evening broadcast... they used mid price tapeless systems with large media cards in the cameras, and converted the Hd/SDI feed from copper to fiber to send it from 4 locations around the country to a single location post facility. If they wanted an alternate angle, or needed to cover a feed hiccup, we fired up the thumbnail in camera, booked time over the fiber line, and played it back to them.
    The 1080p feed from an Epic or Scarlet might have worked, but the download speed from the SSD and then the playback signal would have overwhelmed them. I do not know if they could have edited the 4k files in time to make broadcast deadline or not... but since they had 16 cameras worth of data 3 hours of media each, I don't think so...
    Shallow DoF would not have mattered to us.. it suited the style of the shoot... we used our zooms as manual focus and iris variable primes.. rarely had to change iris... post did the contrast management of all source clips.. though we did have cards to load matching settings for all cameras, and had controlled lighting..
    even if using the servo zoom, our stylebook called on us to use it between shots, not on the take....
    I am sure we could have archived our footage, if desired, but we formatted our cards after the segments aired, and cycled them back into camera..
    Fan noise *might* come up, but as our talent was close micced, with very tight hypers, it probably would have been fine..
    we did loop audio from the main room board through a sub mix back to our cameras as backup audio...
    while re ran TC on the cameras, and did sync them to each other at the start of each day, the production audio master did not have the same TC...
    but.. yes, with 18-85s (and maybe a 50-150) on one of the cameras, we could have used EPICs... but it would have been overkill.
    Red One's would have been rejected for having *only* a 720p out...
    don't remember if we were 1080p 24, 1080p 30, or 1080i...

hey Christopher, that's an interesting setup. Like you say, 4k currently often costs to much to process in a live or near live shoot. A collection of rocket enabled computers probably could have handled the editing, but I am not sure the internet/fiber network would have handled that well. It would be nice for a TV studio to be able to spend an equivalent (or less in some cases) amount of money, compared to existing budgets, on a camera that is also good for more cine style projects at other times. I really would be curious to see how one could implement the remote camera control over Ethernet that is mentioned in the specs. That seems like the best way to go about implementing a proper ccu/rcu.

Should be what you need for broadcasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post

Shown with EPIC BRAIN ( not included ) installed.

Pre-orders begin September 10th. Ships Mid November.

Meizler Module $13,000

Weight: Aprox. 6 lb

Features:
    • Proxy Recording - Record Proxy files to a RED MINI-MAG card and record REDCODE RAW to side SSD simultaneously.
    • Wireless Motor Control – Integrated Wireless communication between 3rd party hand controller and Meizler module. Internal wiring to front outputs for clean cable routing.
    • Wireless Video – Transmit 720p or 1080p uncompressed video at 5Ghz. Wireless video system has <1ms latency.
    • Wireless Audio – Receive audio signals from REDsync Master (optional purchase)
    • Wireless Timecode -Receive wireless timecode from REDsync Master ( optional purchase )
    • 802.11b Compatible – Receive system control commands from custom iPad/iPhone/iTouch app through REDsync system
    • System power is provided by V-Lock IDX battery plate , (IDX and RED data switch), or RED standard 6 pin power port.
    • Smart Hot-Swappable Power supported (battery can be switched when plugged into DC power without shutting camera off)
    • CAN Port – Allows for Hardwired communication between the 3ality Technica hand controller and Meizler module
    • RS232/422 Port – Hardwired communication for iPad, iPhone and iTouch apps and 3rd party devices
    • 3D Port – Sync two Meizler modules together to create a 3D lens control system
    • HD-SDI Port – Output HD video
    • REDmote Port – Charges and Communicates with REDmote viadirect hardwire
    • RED Monitor Port – Support Dual RED EVF/LCD operating simultaneously via monitor ports on Meizler and Side SSD. Touchscreen control capability on the RED monitor.
    • Gig-E Port – Master/Slave the RED cameras
    • 4 unregulated AUX power outputs
      • Two 12V output power on right sidecar,
      • One Left side D-tap on battery plate,
      • One Front 3-pin Fischer for Cinetape or other accesories
    • Audio Port – Hardwired 2ch balance audio input
    • Headphone Jack – Outputs audio signals 3.5mm
    • Lens Ports Front
      • Control 3rd party lens motors for Focus, Iris and Zoom
    • LEDs
      • STATUS Indicates the Meizler module status state
      • 8.02.11 Indicates the wireless connection for Wireless.
      • PROXY Indicates the proxy recording status to the MINI-MAG
      • THCL Indicates the wireless connection for wireless hand controller
      • WTCL Indicates the wireless connection for wireless timecode
      • WVL Indicates the wireless connection for wireless video
      • FOCUS Indicates the focus motor status
      • IRIS Indicates the iris motor status
      • ZOOM Indicates the zoom motor status
    • Wireless Internal Antennas
      • Interchangeable 6 external antenna module
    • Switch from internal or external timecode
      • Internal timecode – Receive wireless timecode from REDsync Master (optional purchase)
      • External timecode – Receive timecode signal from an external source (i.e Lockit, Denecke and etc) via a BNC and genlock is produced internally
    • Report camera state back to iPad app (optional purchase)
    • Receive sidebar file metadata from REDsync Master (optional purchase)
    • Receive GPS via iOS app (optional purchase)
    REDsync Master - $2900

Weight: Aprox. 1lb

Features:
    • RF ISM Band Transceiver 865MHz/915Mhz for wireless audio and timecode
      • Deliver audio stream to multiple devices
    • 802.11b Transceiver
      • Receive and deliver timecode and metadata to multiple devices
      • Able to connect up to 14 devices
    • Supported FPS modes: 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 29.97DF, 30DF.
    • Output sync modes: PAL, NTSC, 720p, 720p double frame, 1080i, 1080p, 1080i double frame, 1080p double frame
    • V Sync and H Sync Output to Camera
    • Timecode Output to Camera
    • Timecode output to audio recorder
    • 2 channel guide audio input for RF datalink distribution to camera(s) and other devices
    • Interface to iPad, iPhone & iTouch apps
    Physical Interfaces
    • External Power
    • Timecode input
    • Timecode output
    • Output Video Sync
    • 48Khz 16bit audio input
    • Internal Power: 2 x ‘AA’ batteries

HD-SDI Receiver - $3400

Weight : Aprox. 1.3 lb

Features:
    • Any camera can transmit to any combination of up to 4 receivers (HDMI or HD-SDI)
    • Transmission is secure between the camera and receivers.
    • Less than 1ms lag
    • HD-SDI receives up to 200ft away from Camera.
    • 5 external SMA mount.

HDMI Receiver - $1100

Weight: Aprox. 0.5 lb

Features:
    • Any camera can transmit to any combination of up to 4 receivers (HDMI or HD-SDI)
    • Secure Transmission secure between the camera and receivers.
    • Less than 1ms lag
    • HDMI receives up to 90ft away from Camera.
    • Internal antennas

Quote Originally Posted by Sulekh Suman View Post
    Awesome!!!!