Thread: New Epic/Scarlet products from Ussy-Tek Design, represented by Digital Film Studios.

Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

1. #1 New Epic/Scarlet products from Ussy-Tek Design, represented by Digital Film Studios. 
    Note: While I do have some of my equipment at Digital Film Studios, I have no stake in the company and do not stand to gain financially from the sale of any accessories. I am in no way employed by Digital Film Studios or have received compensation for my review.

With that said however, I find their designs to be very simple, sturdy, and professional accessories for both Red’s and other cameras alike…

I had the opportunity to test the new Ussy-Tek Pro EVF/Monitor kit. Ussy-Tek Pro EVF/Monitor kit

This design seeks to not only provide a multi pivoting and sliding mount for both your RED “Bomb EVF” and RED PRO 5” touch screen monitor. The system connects to any Standard RED, Viewfactor, Element Technica, x top plate using two ¼ - 20 captured bolts.

Once the rail is bolted on to the camera, the arm unit can be attached to the rail without any tools. Simply take the slider unit and twist the knob all the way open on the slider and it slips on the rail; then just tighten down. One of the things I really like about it is how special attention was paid in putting 4 small ball bearing units on the slider so it can easily slide even while the arm is fully extended and has an EVF or monitor on it. Furthermore, special attention was paid so that while you may have the slider knob loose the unit cant roll off the rail unless the bolt is all the way open, a good safety in case you forget to tighten the slider down on the rail.

The arm and spinner and mounting plate are very easy to articulate and when you lock them down they stay. Not only does the spinner mount spin a full 360 degrees, the mounting plate can swivel back and forth allowing you to place your body off the camera if needed, something that drove me nuts on the other EVf Mounts was not being able to pan the EVF much like a film camera eyepiece extension. I feel that this kit solves many of those issues.

To switch between the 5” touch monitor or EVF is easy thanks the captured ¼ - 20 screws on the mounting plate. NO MORE LOST SCREWS.

Perhaps my favorite thing about this mount system is how sturdy and ergonomically designed it is for handheld work. For 99% of operators you will find that the Slider and Rail will put your eye at the exact distance and plane of the senor on and EPIC-M, X, or SCARLET-X. Should you want to operate left eyed (like me) the system easily adapts. Finally, its rock solid, nothing moves here when the system is secured; Ive often become frustrated with noga arms and other systems but with this bit of kit I feel like wherever I place my monitor or EVF it will stay there.

If you the bought the original Element Technica Mount for Red One and would like to use it with your bomb with more functionality, Ussy-Tek also sells just the EVF and monitor mount, which you can adapt and place on your existing ET EVF 7” rail.

Ussy-Tek is also selling the slide rail by itself which work with the soon to be released AKS mount. One would be able to put a rail on the right side of the camera to allow an assistant to mount a focus monitor or other AKS with either a 3/8-16 or ¼-20 screw.

Right now until March 15th there is a pre-order price of 795.00 after that the price will be 995.00.

Its Lighter than any other EVF mount made for Red Cameras, this system is one of the most versatile monitoring mounts on the market. I mean the system just feels solid weather your handheld, on a gear head, or fluid head with either an EVF or Monitor. Once the rail is attached to the camera and the EVF is attached to the mount kit, you just pull it out of your case and slide it on the camera – no tools required.

Anyways feel free to hit me up with any questions if your interested in the system.
    It changes every day, but is always the same: research for Equilibrium.
    I believe that the Image, as the language of Cinema, is formed by the conflict and harmony of the two different elements of life: Light and Darkness.
    Trying to find an Equilibrium between these two opposite forces as I visualize different stories, becomes — every day — the reason for my creative effort.
    The research of this is my own life.
    -Vittorio Storaro

REEL: http://www.vimeo.com/ericulbrich

Interesting :)

I caught the videos on Vimeo last week and was wondering when there'd be a review or more info.

I also had the opportunity to test this out and it is hands down the most intuitive and functional EVF mount I have ever had my hands on. It's amazingly lightweight, out the way, and just does what you want it to do. It feels sturdy yet elegant. It's what I've been waiting for.
    Alexis Hanawalt
    Bolster Camera, Inc.

www.bolstercamera.com

Out of all the EVF mounts I have tested out, this is the one that takes into account all the problems and concerns that operators and DPs have had w other makes and models. It is extremely lightweight, streamlined and super simple and fast to use and allows you to put the bomb in an extreme range of locations for studio or handheld setups. The ability to tilt the bomb left or right is a must have in my books.

The crew at Ussy Tek have put a lot of time and research into making the best quality product that will fit the modularity of the Epic. This along w the spider grips are the perfect combo for handheld work.

REDuser Sponsor
    I've used this on a few jobs and it's pretty darn good.

Really takes into account the needs of operators and _assistants_

Shot a recent UFC commerial with the Ussy-Tek Pro EVF/Monitor kit. Really loved it. Super light and adjustable. Felt rock solid. As you can see from the pics I was swinging it around a lot with a monitor mounted to it and it handled the stress and push/pull of the monitor perfectly.Variation and positioning it allows is amazing. To be able to get the monitor way out by the lens but still be solid and stable it does it's job really well. With an israeli arm you can't do what the ussy tek can.

The mount lets you tilt and slide and position your monitor anywhere it needs to be within viewing range. This was a prototype, thus the silver monitor/evf mount. It will be anodized I hear. Also I believe an extension rod is coming to extend the mount out even further. Really loved it photo 2.jpgIMG_5596.jpgIMG_5545.jpg

So if you have your eye to the viewfinder, and you tilt or jib up, the eyepiece moves to fit your eye without any pressure?

If it feels like an eyepiece leveler on an OConnor attached to a film camera, you're in the gold.
    The more opinions you have, the less you see.
    Wim Wenders

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan De Franco View Post
    So if you have your eye to the viewfinder, and you tilt or jib up, the eyepiece moves to fit your eye without any pressure?

If it feels like an eyepiece leveler on an OConnor attached to a film camera, you're in the gold.
    Pretty much! you can also adjust the tilt drag on the eyepiece based on how fast your moving or if you want a little movement or a lot.
    We are working on integrating it with geared heads as well and a eyepiece leveler for that true operator feel

Heard from the elves at Ussyland that units were going to be shipping in the next week.

Plus some new products coming very soon!!!
    It changes every day, but is always the same: research for Equilibrium.
    I believe that the Image, as the language of Cinema, is formed by the conflict and harmony of the two different elements of life: Light and Darkness.
    Trying to find an Equilibrium between these two opposite forces as I visualize different stories, becomes — every day — the reason for my creative effort.
    The research of this is my own life.
    -Vittorio Storaro

REEL: http://www.vimeo.com/ericulbrich