Thread: Scarlet: Low Light Shoot

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Scarlet: Low Light Shoot 
    This past week we got commissioned to do a spot for the Perth Fashion Festival. The festival is a ways away but we went out to the latest event to put together a little 30 second promo for the festival organizers.
    It turned out to be a great opportunity to try out the Scarlet in very bad lighting conditions.

Behind the scenes there was almost 0 light. Just one or two super dim overheads. We weren't going for the harsh on board look so we were just stretching the ISO as high as possible.
    Even the show was a tough environment as off center was almost black. I cranked up the grade to see how it would handle. It all came back no problem.
    Looking at the footage I am very impressed with the Scarlet's performance. I couldn't imagine shooting any commercial work in situations with lower light than this.
    All shot with the C/Y 35mm f1.4 wide open except the last shot which was the 25mm.

The clip is all finished, just waiting for the go ahead and then I'll post it here.

For now the stills will have to do:

Cinematographer & Host of The Wandering DP Podcast

Man, that lens is juicy; love those images. Thanks for posting

Thanks for posting something positive in terms of low light performance, looks fantastic. A healthy 1.4 F-Stop always works wonders.

What was the ISO on these? Are you able to post a .r3d; I'm loving the skin tones... Did the first shot have a blue-light somewhere? If there was a lot of really white(blue-ish) light that's probably why it looks so dang clean (the blue-channel was getting as much as it needed.)
    Last edited by Mike P.; 03-03-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Senior Member Lliam Worthington's Avatar
    Beautiful grabs in trying conditions Patrick. I'm pretty in love with the 35.
    I assume those grabs are after de noising and sharpening in your workflow?

Best

Lliam
    Scarlet X # 517

Yummy indeed.

Looks great! What was the ISO, and what Look settings? saturation, contrast?

Wow. Very happy to see that cleanliness is possible.
    Pretty frustrating if you're the shooter and don't have the necessary, sophisticated know-how in post
    Where do I start? Learn Resolve? Or there's a denoise magic plug-in for fcp?
    Thanks

nice Pat - as others say, plse post the specs!!!!

Stu Aull
    S-X #00199
    Alaska

You don't need resolve to pull this off. REDcine gives you everything you need to get this particular look. Esp. when you are looking at exposure tweaks.

You don't need to denoise the footage here. I bet this was all done without, am I right?