Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: OLPF Port Bushing

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    There are exceptions. Mine was supposed to have it when new 11 months ago, but turned out it didn't which caused a few gate flare problems on the first film it worked on.

If the surround of your OLPF isn't a uniform matte black, then the bushing is missing.

But Red will send you one for free.
    DOP / Digital Lighting Camera Operator
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Bumping up an old thread, but question relating to the Dragon upgrade.

I never got this OLPF bushing upgrade done, and am wondering if it'll be done as part of the Dragon upgrade and/or if its no longer necessary when I upgrade to the dragon. Anyone know?

Thanks!

No longer necessary with the Dragon upgrade.

Yeah, Roger is correct. With the Dragon upgrade, the sensor and OLPF stack are larger and an entirely different unit with different surrounding hardware. The whole internal 'sensor well' or 'throat' of the camera is changed with Dragon. The blackout port bushing for MX no longer applies.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

So RED allows you to install your own OLPF? When i sent mine in it was weeks before I could get it back. Thought they needed a safe room to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Matthes View Post
    It was great to receive my OLPF Port Bushing kit yesterday afternoon. I'm extremely happy to finally have this flare guard in place.

What's more ... I thought it was pretty amazing that Red is shipping these free kits out to us FedEx Overnight, at their cost.

As it turns out, I could have waited a few more days ... but to some owners the FedEx Overnight shipping could possibly save the day.

So ... Cheers ... and thank you, Red.
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."

Quote Originally Posted by Will Keir View Post
    So RED allows you to install your own OLPF? When i sent mine in it was weeks before I could get it back. Thought they needed a safe room to do this.
    This isn't the OLPF. Is the bushing that's easily installed to help reduce flares.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Oh. Does it take away any light?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    This isn't the OLPF. Is the bushing that's easily installed to help reduce flares.
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."

Quote Originally Posted by Will Keir View Post
    Oh. Does it take away any light?
    No it's just a liner for the space / walls between lensmount and sensor that is black and anti reflective. The early XM epic came out without it. Later it ship with it. early adopters could ask for it and have it sent without charge.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

With the MX sensor in the Epic/ Scarlet, they left a small area of polished steel around the OLPF frame. On occasion, it could catch off-axis light and reflect it back. Giving us the same effect as a gate flare on a film camera. It would only happen from top or bottom, not really from the sides that I ever saw. RED's solution was to send out this bushing, just a small piece of blacked-out metal, that dropped in around the OLPF to block those flares. With the Dragon sensor, the OLPF frame design has changed and the sensor and OLPF are larger anyway, so these no longer apply.

And yes, the OLPF is user-replaceable in Dragon. The upcoming OLPF swap module is user-installable and there to make swaps even easier.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.