Thread: 1GB REDmag SSD - For Latest Firmware

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 1GB REDmag SSD - For Latest Firmware 
    It's probably a good idea to have the latest firmware on a REDmag, just in case you're in the middle of nowhere and things go awry. So why not have a dedicate REDmag for just this purpose. Sure you could use a 64GB mag, but at $950 a pop that's a tad pricey.

So is there anyway there could be a cheap 1GB SSD for just this purpose? Maybe there's already a better solution than this.

Just a thought.
    Scarlet X - 643 "Kong"
    DP Reel
    www.digitalladder.com

Why not just keep it on your DIT laptop? That's what we do in case we ever need to put it on an SSD.
    Owner/Editor
    Drawbridge Media, Inc.
    www.drawbridge.tv
    ---
    Drawbridge does a mix of corporate video production, spots,
    live events and post-production. We also edit shows for Discovery Networks/TLC.

What if you're out in the middle of nowhere, with no laptop or a laptop that's battery just died?
    Scarlet X - 643 "Kong"
    DP Reel
    www.digitalladder.com

There are certain overheads that one must generally accept with shooting...

Brad, as Brook said, some things you just have to have or you're playing with fire. If you don't want to buy an SSD for this purpose, then you should plan on having a laptop on every shoot WITH batteries.

Now, you bring up an interesting possibility. I wonder if RED has a bunch of SSD's that tested poorly and aren't good for playing back footage. It would be cool if they took these out of the junk box, labeled them as UPGRADE SSD ONLY and sold them for a couple hundred dollars. That would probably be a great seller and use of resources...assuming they do have a bunch that tested poorly.

Kevin
    Owner/Editor
    Drawbridge Media, Inc.
    www.drawbridge.tv
    ---

I fully understand that with great camera comes great responsibility (and support needs). I'm just trying to think of a solution to possible problems. I'm always going to carry the latest firmware on a thumb drive or laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wild View Post
    Now, you bring up an interesting possibility. I wonder if RED has a bunch of SSD's that tested poorly and aren't good for playing back footage. It would be cool if they took these out of the junk box, labeled them as UPGRADE SSD ONLY and sold them for a couple hundred dollars. That would probably be a great seller and use of resources...assuming they do have a bunch that tested poorly.

Kevin
    It could even be a 3rd Party SSD, since it doesn't have to support the write speeds needed for recording. Basically it's just a thumb drive that fits into the SSD module. I think if it's cheap enough people would buy it.
    Scarlet X - 643 "Kong"
    DP Reel
    www.digitalladder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Webb View Post
    It's probably a good idea to have the latest firmware on a REDmag, just in case you're in the middle of nowhere and things go awry. So why not have a dedicate REDmag for just this purpose. Sure you could use a 64GB mag, but at $950 a pop that's a tad pricey.

So is there anyway there could be a cheap 1GB SSD for just this purpose? Maybe there's already a better solution than this.

Just a thought.
    IMO This would be helpful in many situations, run & gun, chasing the light, etc. Id love to have this as part of my kit. Ideally RED would integrate a SD or USB into the SSD side module design. This would be helpful for firmware upgrades as well as possible storing addition Black shading presets.

We looked into making some SSDs and long story short--We stopped. The probability of proprietary firmware and the likelihood that RED is not going to license it caused us to stop early on in the process. I think its unlikely any 3rd party SSD will be available for quite some time.
    Jason Comparetto
    Cinema [Oxide]
    www.CinemaOxide.com

Epic-X #707, Zeiss Primes, 3' and 5' sliders, and a boatload of other gear

Well, I'll bump this and see if anyone from RED might jump in. To me, it's a great idea and great use of old SSD's that aren't to spec. RED would sell a TON of these for firmware backups. Easy money, RED. Take mine! ;-)

Kevin
    Owner/Editor
    Drawbridge Media, Inc.
    www.drawbridge.tv
    ---