Thread: Pro res? Where is it?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Pro res? Where is it? 
    First post here, very exited! Our new Scarlet (still thinking of a name) is recording great images, and I don't want to lose the quality of the image in post production.

I am hearing a lot about the Apple Pro res codec and this seems to be the best way to transcode from RCX for editing in FCP (which is what we are using). However I can't seem to find the pro res codec in RCX pro.

Do I have to download or buy pro res?

If not, why can't I find it?

There is probably a simple answer to this, and I am new to post production and don't know much at all about transcoding and compression, so im sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Go into the Export tab, choose Quicktime as your codec option, then Setup to choose the appropriate flavour of ProRes. ProRes should be installed on all Macs if I'm not mistaken (I'm PC based actually, using Adobe Premiere Pro to edit R3D data - no transcoding required, PC or Mac).

HTH!

Cheers from Tokyo,

Paul :)
    Paul Leeming
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Stereographer
    Visceral Psyche Films

www.visceralpsyche.com

Mobile: +81 (0)80 8439 4635
    Twitter:
    @visceralpsyche

Facebook: Paul Leeming

Epic-X #135 DRAGON (New OLPF)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leeming View Post
    Go into the Export tab, choose Quicktime as your codec option, then Setup to choose the appropriate flavour of ProRes. ProRes should be installed on all Macs if I'm not mistaken (I'm PC based actually, using Adobe Premiere Pro to edit R3D data - no transcoding required, PC or Mac).
    Thanks Paul, but I still can't find ProRes 'flavours'. When in the quicktime setup window I am only given these options;

Animation
    Apple intermediate codec
    Apple pixlet video
    DV-PAL
    DV/DVCPRO-NTSC
    DVCPRO-PAL
    DVCPRO50-PAL
    DVCPRO50-NTSC
    H.264
    M-PEG-4 Video
    None
    Photo- Jpeg
    PNG
    Video

Is this where I will find the Pro Res or am i looking in the wrong place?

well, you have to have the codec installed on your system to be able to see it in the export options.
    Nick Noev
    editor / D.I.T.

Thanks Nick and John, the pro res looks great! big files though, 1.1GB for just a few seconds, 4K, REDCODE 8:1. Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug M View Post
    First post here, very exited! Our new Scarlet (still thinking of a name) is recording great images, and I don't want to lose the quality of the image in post production.

I am hearing a lot about the Apple Pro res codec and this seems to be the best way to transcode from RCX for editing in FCP (which is what we are using). However I can't seem to find the pro res codec in RCX pro.

Do I have to download or buy pro res?

If not, why can't I find it?

There is probably a simple answer to this, and I am new to post production and don't know much at all about transcoding and compression, so im sorry if this seems like a silly question.
    Congrats on your new Scarlet!

Based on your earlier comment "I don't want to lose the quality of the image in post production", ProRes is not your best choice. Keep your footage in raw form (R3D) as long as possible. I'd _highly_ recommend using an editing package with native R3D support like MediaComposer, Premiere, Vegas, etc.

Cheers,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morten View Post
    Congrats on your new Scarlet!

Based on your earlier comment "I don't want to lose the quality of the image in post production", ProRes is not your best choice. Keep your footage in raw form (R3D) as long as possible. I'd _highly_ recommend using an editing package with native R3D support like MediaComposer, Premiere, Vegas, etc.

Cheers,
    Tim
    On the other hand, there is no reason why you can't do an offline edit in just about ANY codec and conform to the R3D after editorial is done and build your final deliverables directly from the R3D. That is still the most common method as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Crawley View Post
    On the other hand, there is no reason why you can't do an offline edit in just about ANY codec and conform to the R3D after editorial is done and build your final deliverables directly from the R3D. That is still the most common method as far as I know.
    I've seen many posts about this on other threads, Does this mean I can edit an entire project on FCP of compressed files, and then link the R3D's into FCP prior to exporting from FCP?

If quality is your concern, then edit in FCP using proxies (or whatever you want) that were generated from the source R3D using RedcinePro. After finishing the edit in FCP, export XML file to Redcine to do first pass grade. Then export Uncompressed (if you have the space, otherwise ProRes HQ or similar) and do final grade something like Resolve or Color (if you still use it).

Quote Originally Posted by Doug M View Post
    I've seen many posts about this on other threads, Does this mean I can edit an entire project on FCP of compressed files, and then link the R3D's into FCP prior to exporting from FCP?

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    EPIC-X "SHAI"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    If quality is your concern, then edit in FCP using proxies (or whatever you want) that were generated from the source R3D using RedcinePro. After finishing the edit in FCP, export XML file to Redcine to do first pass grade. Then export Uncompressed (if you have the space, otherwise ProRes HQ or similar) and do final grade something like Resolve or Color (if you still use it).
    Thanks Bob, but could you please explain what proxies are and how I'd transfer them from the R3D's to FCP, and also, what will be involved when doing the 'pass grade' with the XML's, will this be the whole edited project from FCP as one XML file?