Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Stage 3, 3.5 and beyond...

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Quote Originally Posted by michael zaletel View Post
    I still don't fully understand why EPIC-X with Ti PL Mount is $38,000 and Scarlet with Ti PL Mount is $13,200. It's cool, just don't understand what makes it cost 3 times less.
    Michael Z... I think the issues are cost, value and market differentiation. An Epic costs more to make I am sure (as Kevin notes). But one reason Red has the right to charge more for Epic is because it is worth that much for the features it has compared to the Scarlet. The Epic is cheaper by far than any cinema camera out there (though the Epic's specs far surpass them), so the market easily bears it's price tag. There is a market that the Epic is geared toward and a market the Scarlet is geared toward. If the price is too close, then one product will cannibalize the other and there becomes no reason to have two products. A $25,000 gap is about right between the two products even if the cost to produce them is only a $5K-$10K gap because the Epic is simply worth it. If anything, the Epic is under priced. That's my two cents.
    Red Epic-X #152 ("Bonhoeffer") available for rent -- Special pricing for Scarlet-X / Epic-X / Red One owners -- Free U.S. Shipping!
    The latest CanonL Lenses: 16-35mm F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8, 50mm F1.2, 100-400mm F5.6
    Details about Red Epic Rental: www.IndieCameraRentals.com

Looks like there are some people complaining about theirs stage3 and 3,5.
    I bought my Red One too late to have access to this stage but if you're unhappy with your case, let me know, I will be glad to let you my Red One and get your Epic-X! Even if I still like my Red One, I won't spit on a trade-in for a brand new Epic-X...
    Dragon Test Shoot
    Epic-M Dragon, Epic-X and Red One MX packages ready to shoot.
    Custom Water Housing.
    TB Mobile Rocket Station.
    L/K-rtel
    Capbreton, France
    Portfolio
    Twitter @lkrtel

I still don't fully understand why EPIC-X with Ti PL Mount is $38,000 and Scarlet with Ti PL Mount is $13,200. It's cool, just don't understand what makes it cost 3 times less.
    You can buy a computer for a few hundred dollars but if you want a "blood stock" workstation like a HP z800 you might have pay 10 000 dollar. All dependent of how "refined" the components are inside.
    Andi

So... you are asking why a camera at 1/3rd the cost has 1/10th the capabilities?

I own two Scarlets and love them, they are different way less options... I shot something at 6 stops over and was able to get a good image, not the purtiest with a bright sun, but not Epics fault in Palm Beach Florida and the Director didn't let me backlight my subjects...

*** I also own an Epic.
    Last edited by Paul Ellington; 02-24-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Epic owner ...

Paul Ellington
    director/dp & writer

A question about the kink in the order date vs. delivery date when it comes to the Scarlet Ti Canon Mount cameras. I ordered early on Nov. 3rd but had to wait and watch about 1000 people who ordered AFTER me get their cameras before me during the 2 months it took for the Canon Ti mounts to catch up.

So even though I did everything in my power to order early and take delivery ASAP... later when it comes time to upgrade the sensor I will be 1000 back in the line --AGAIN -- through not fault of my own. Unless you do not make an exception to the old delivery date as your place in line policy.

I'm requesting an adjustment for the Scarlet Ti Mount cameras to be in line for future upgrades by when the date ordered -- instead of the delivery date -- since we had no control over the delayed delivery caused by the back ordered Ti mounts.

Thanks,
    Steve Murray
    www.stevemurray.com

Epic-X -- LuLu /// RED Dragon -- Rosebud
    Canon EF: 7mm Fisheye to 500mm

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Greenwalt View Post
    So... you are asking why a camera at 1/3rd the cost has 1/10th the capabilities?
    RIGHT ON!
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

President and Founder of Glidecam Industries, Inc.
    Producer and Director at Metaphoric Pictures.

oh snap!
    Epic-M #1169
    Production: www.jdfnet.com
    Camera: www.5kinsight.com