Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Old lenses given to me

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Old lenses given to me 
    I had these lenses given to me today. I was wanting to try and figure out how to get them to work with my Epic. Is this even possible? They were used on a old Arriflex film camera. See photos below
    Attached Images
    When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.

They are an older Arriflex mount, so you would likely need to get them converted to PL.
    Thank you Red Team for unlocking/correcting the i/data technology. Cooke lenses are reading correctly and all his happy in Cooke/Epic land. Thanks!

3.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #3  
    Red Team
    Those lenses look like they are Arri Standard Mount - they are easily converted to PL with an adapter.
    I can't tell exactly but they look like they are 16mm - the zoom is Angenieux?
    16mm will be OK for 2K - just about...

Uh ... I think those are 16mm lenses, maybe even smaller aperture.

If you get them converted to PL, they;ll mount and work on Epic/Scarlet, but they may not cover the full fame until you are down to 2K or so. That might be great for high frame rate work on Epic.

Getting them cleaned up would be nice even if you can't use it. I like to just display old film gear I can't use, when I can get it.

So, if after you investigate you find them to be not suited to you, and collecting useless gear isn't your thing, let me know.
    Alexander Ibrahim
    Director & DP
    editing/color correction/compositing/effects
    http://www.alexanderibrahim.net
    http://www.zenera.com

Thanks guys! If you can point me in the right direction of getting these converted that would be great. I want to see what I can do with these old puppies in 2k
    When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.

The zoom looks like an angie 12-120 T/2.5 for 16mm, but the others could be old motion picture 35mm lenses. Some of those older lenses were really small, like the old panchro's and such.
    Thank you Red Team for unlocking/correcting the i/data technology. Cooke lenses are reading correctly and all his happy in Cooke/Epic land. Thanks!

Banned
    Hi,
    I have ARRI to PL adapter for sale. If you are interested see link below:
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...Easy-removable!

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Pollaro View Post
    Thanks guys! If you can point me in the right direction of getting these converted that would be great. I want to see what I can do with these old puppies in 2k
    Duclos Lenses if you are in the US. OptiTek if you are in Europe.

You could also contact the manufacturers and see who they recommend, but those are my go to folks.
    Alexander Ibrahim
    Director & DP
    editing/color correction/compositing/effects
    http://www.alexanderibrahim.net
    http://www.zenera.com

The 28mm lens is a 1950s or thereabouts 35mm format cine lens. I have one here which was used with an ARRI 35BL film camera. A PL-Adaptor for ARRI Standard mount should do it for you without need to send the lens off to a machinist. There may be a caveat relating to infinity focus when used on digital cinema cameras, which I go into a bit more furthur into this reply.

When using this lens be careful not to forcefully twist the front rim of the lens as if it is part of the main lens structure. It is not. It is the aperture ring and if excess twsting force is applied, it may shear off an end stop in the iris mechanism, over-close the iris and break off one of the iris blades which has a small assembly relief cut into it.

You may find the lens may tend to spin inside the ARRI Standard to PL-Mount adaptor depending on the style of that adaptor. Some use simple grub screws for retention. Others use the round ARRI circlip and a collar which screws anticlockwise out of the adaptor barrel partially overhanging the circlip and tightens against it.

Depending on how thick the OLPF/IR filter panel is on the RED cams, you may need to have a machinist skim a little off the front face of the PL-Adaptor if the lens cannot focus to infinity. The longer the lens focal length is, the less critical this issue seems to be. It may not even be an issue with the RED cams. With a Kinoptik Tegea 9.8mm on the SI2K, I had to take 0.7mm off the front of the PL-Mount adaptor to get restore correct infinity focus. If it comes down to that, consult a lens technician. There may be other more correct remedies than my brutal suggestion.

You will likely find this lens a bit more flary than modern lenses but you may also be surprised to find the image pleasing and sharp, depending on the condition of the lens optics.
    Last edited by Robert Hart; 04-06-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Pollaro View Post
    Visual products has a really nice PL adapter for older Arri mounts that can easily be changed from lens to lens if you want to give them a try without a lot of conversion expense. Only need one.

http://www.visualproducts.com/storeP...tID=701&Cat=11