Thread: Matte box advantages

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by M.D. Hilton View Post
    Don't get me wrong, A swing away is still easier to change lenses with but the rubber flex ring makes it much easier to change lenses than if you had a screw on or clamp on. It has enough flex that I can easily remove the lens without moving the matte box. The might box might have to be adjusted to put a new lens on depending on the size of the lens you're putting on (for instance, if you're replacing a wide lens with a longer lens you'll have to, obviously, slide the matte box away from the camera to accomodate the longer lens.)

Either way - with a swing away or with a flex ring - the matte box will almost always have to be adjusted on the rods to put it in proper position for the new lens.

Hope this makes sense...
    Makes sense. It's not really the matte box's fault that the lenses are all different diameter and length... But it would be nice to minimize the hassle as much as possible and it sounds like this setup is a reasonable way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli Plank View Post
    Excuse me if I try to correct you here. The extension of lenses while focusing is not called breathing.
    Roger that.

NYC, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Charleston, SC
    Thank you for that clarification.
    Last edited by Arnold F.; 02-28-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    Scarlet-X #1840

I definitely do NOT want to buy multiple filters for each lens, which will vary from Canon to Leica to Rokinon. Is the idea that I buy step up filter rings to get me to 77mm so that I may use just one set?
    Scarlet-X #1840

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold F. View Post
    I definitely do NOT want to buy multiple filters for each lens, which will vary from Canon to Leica to Rokinon. Is the idea that I buy step up filter rings to get me to 77mm so that I may use just one set?
    No, if you don't want to buy multiple screw on filters for your lenses then buy filters to use with the trays of your matte box (4x4 or 4 x 5.65 depending on your matte box trays.)

The step down rings don't have anything to do with filters, they have to do with getting a tight fit around your lens so no light gets through.

Sorry, I'm talking about getting all my different lenses up to a single standard, which I assumed was 77mm - is this the way to go? Then I would go with something like this, assuming it will allow for a lens as wide as the Tokina 11-16mm.

No, if you don't want to buy multiple screw on filters for your lenses then buy filters to use with the trays of your matte box (4x4 or 4 x 5.65 depending on your matte box trays.)

The step down rings don't have anything to do with filters, they have to do with getting a tight fit around your lens so no light gets through.
    Scarlet-X #1840

... The step down rings don't have anything to do with filters, they have to do with getting a tight fit around your lens so no light gets through.
    The other alternative when you have different diameter lenses is a little device known a universal lens donut, aka, "nun's knickers." It is made up of a step-down adapter ring that fits into the rear of the matte box and attached to it is some stretchy material that goes around the lens to seal any light leaks. Certainly not as high-tech., elegant, or fancy as some of the other alternatives (i.e., Chroziel) but it works, and it is useful when you have lenses that extend or contract when you focus. Genus makes one and I think Red Rock Micro may as well.

Here is a link to the Genus: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nut_Nun_s.html

Zeiss Lenses:

CY 21/2.8
    ZF 28/2.0
    CY 35-70/3.4
    CY 50/1.4
    ZF100/2.0

Nikon Lenses:
    G 14-24/2.8
    G 24-70/2.8
    D 80-200/2.8

Tokina Lenses:

11-16/

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold F. View Post
    Sorry, I'm talking about getting all my different lenses up to a single standard, which I assumed was 77mm - is this the way to go? Then I would go with something like this, assuming it will allow for a lens as wide as the Tokina 11-16mm.
    I suppose you could use step up rings if you like though if I was in that situation with still glass I'd just use the trays in the matte box for my filters. Though if you have a still camera and take photos too then yeah, the step up rings are probably the way to go (though I must confess I've never used them before, all my still lenses have a 77mm thread.)

I have a bunch of step up/down rings. All start at 77mm and work down for all lenses I own. They’re so much cheaper than trying to buy a filter for every lens you own.
    As for a mattebox. If you use cine lenses then you need a mattebox. No other way to add filters. How can you open the lens up on a sunny day without adding ND filters?
    My Videos http://vimeo.com/user626030
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/ErikNaso
    Duclos 11-16
    Red 17-50
    Zeiss CP/2 85mm

Senior Member Lliam Worthington's Avatar
    Likewise I have everything stepped up or down to 77mm for my screw ins.
    They're cheap as chips and you can usually get free shipping on Chinese/Honk kong ones and they work completely fine in my experience.
    Scarlet X # 517