Thread: A Place for EPIC Audio Tips (feb 2012), Phantom Power info, etc

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 A Place for EPIC Audio Tips (feb 2012), Phantom Power info, etc 
    Hello all.

I'm a new Epic Owner. As of today (Feb 22, 2012), I understand that the Epic's Phantom Power isn't active. I hope that will arrive in the newest update. I don't know who the audio team is with Red, but I would love for you guys to offer some tips and insight for those of us who will sometimes need to use the RED EPIC (and I assume scarlet) as a Single System Audio Solution.

Until Phantom Power is enabled, what are some of the cleaner, battery powered outboard boxes that can be used to provide 48 volt Phantom power to our mics. I know that Many of the mics I use require 48 volt.

Thanks for your advice!!! (Now watch, next week, Phantom Power will return!!) :D

-Glen

I use the Juiced Link DT-454. Has 2 XLR inputs as well as a mini, and you take a single mini out. It's got great pre-amps, so I don't have to use the on-board epic pre-amps. :-)

Phantom power will be nice once it's enabled (hopefully in the next firmware release), however, by using a mini-mixer of some kind, you will have a much cleaner signal to noise ratio giving you better captured audio.

"Audio team"? Glen, you think that Red has an audio team?

Red has been promising better audio since Red One came out. My guess is that Red is putting its money into image capture R&D to try to stay ahead of Sony, ARRI, Canon etc in the patent race. Sound capture is pretty passive. With SD, Sonosax, Zaxcom etc out there, I don't think Red can bring much to the table. I wish I was wrong.

I just ordered my Epic last week, and this is pretty distressing to me, along with the absolutely incredible fact that the front audio inputs apparently do not offer line level standard functionality (unless I want to drop another 3 GRAND on a still-unreleased "pro" I/O module, I guess I won't ever have that option). Funny, line level/mic level option is something that EVERY single other professional (and even prosumer) camera I've used offers. I won't have occasion often to need line level audio on camera, but I never even DREAMED I wouldn't have that option on a $52K camera package until I stumbled on that info in the forum tonight while researching another question. Literally, it wasn't even something that vaguely registered in my mind as the kind of feature I'd have to check in the specs before buying.

At least the phantom power issue is supposed to be resolved in future firmware. If it's not soon, expect a LOT of squeaky wheel noise from me until it's enabled. I'm a one-person operation that's breaking the bank just to buy the camera, and I need to be able to rely on on-camera sound, as I've always (successfully) done in the past with other professional cameras.

I love the philosophy at RED and the way they've changed the industry and brought incredible image making technology within the financial reach of people like me. And after the failures and beginner's mistakes with RED One audio, I thought sure they'd have learned their lessons on leaving audio as a complete afterthought. The fact that there are still these kinds of issues/design omissions with their newest, top of the line camera is beyond annoying to me, and really surprising.
    Elizabeth Lowrey
    Triumvirate Filmworks

RED Epic-X #2114

P.S. - Visit The Chase Lounge for some of the best Sopranos discussions on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen David Miller View Post
    Hello all.

I'm a new Epic Owner. As of today (Feb 22, 2012), I understand that the Epic's Phantom Power isn't active. I hope that will arrive in the newest update. I don't know who the audio team is with Red, but I would love for you guys to offer some tips and insight for those of us who will sometimes need to use the RED EPIC (and I assume scarlet) as a Single System Audio Solution.

Until Phantom Power is enabled, what are some of the cleaner, battery powered outboard boxes that can be used to provide 48 volt Phantom power to our mics. I know that Many of the mics I use require 48 volt.

Thanks for your advice!!! (Now watch, next week, Phantom Power will return!!) :D

-Glen
    Sound Devices MixPre-D.

Phantom power, mic out, great preamps.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Portland, ME; Boston, MA
    RED ONE #172MX
    EPIC-M #1053

Quote Originally Posted by Glen David Miller View Post
    Another vote for the Sound Devices Mix Pre.

But realistically, you're far better off employing a sound mixer and have them mix and record sound separately. To me, trying to run audio on the camera is kind of like putting a light on the camera. Sure, it can be done... but do you really want to? Is it really the optimum way to go?
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant

Well, when I can afford him, one of my best friends is a multiple Emmy award winning sound expert and one of the best of his field for twenty years, and he will take care of everything. But, for those other occasions, I was seeing what you guys thought. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

The other day I had to use a Mackie 802-VLZ3. Yes, it required AC power, but then again, until some battery solution arrives, so does my Epic! :D

Wonder how the battle between the 802-VLZ3 and the Mix Pre-D would go down? The Mix is about 4X the price.

-Glen

Sound Devices stuff is top notch.

on another note: i bought a little Sennheiser mic for scratch audio on the Epic, it didn't work at all until I found out it's not wired in a way that it will work on Epic. It's unbalanced stereo blah blah something or other, and the Epic needs 1/8 inputs that are "hot, cold, ground" or Balanced mono (something like that, it a little over my head). anyway I am having mine modified and will test it on Monday.,
    Andersen Studios Inc.
    Film Production and Stock Footage
    Epic rentals and other goodies at
    www.andersenstudiosinc.com
    www.markshoots.com

Does Red have an estimate of when the phantom power will be enabled in the camera? I want to travel solo without the hassles that go with an external pre-amp.

I tried with a Beachteck (I think itīs called), but I didnīt get any sound I thought. But was I wrong?
    I never actually recorded anything, I just saw that the levels didnīt move. Are you guys saying that the levels donīt work, even if the Epic records sound?