Thread: Is it right time to invest in lenses now???

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Is it right time to invest in lenses now??? 
    Hi,

We are planning to invest in lenses as the Master Primes,Cooke S5i and Ultraprimes.

As they are very expensive lenses I wanted an opinion on the coverage of these lenses on
    EPIC 5K and what may change in case there is an increase in resolution from 5K to maybe 6K in
    dragon sensor which is I think around the corner....Will these lenses cover the sensor?

Thanks

Harcharan
    AVAILABLE NOW MONSTRO VV (CF) / ALEXA LF
    ARRI ALEXA SXT plus , ARRI ALEXA MINI WITH RAW/4:3, RED EPIC W ,RED DRAGONS, RED EPIC's

ZEISS SUPREME PRIME ,COOKE S4i, MASTER PRIMES , ULTRAPRIMES , CELERE HS , ZEISS CP2 , ALLURA ZOOMS , BASELIGHT 2 GEN 6 WITH BLACKBOARD ,
    Oconners 2565D, Oconner 2065 , Movi M15 with MIMIC.

www.editfxstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Harcharan Singh View Post
    Hi,

We are planning to invest in lenses as the Master Primes,Cooke S5i and Ultraprimes.

As they are very expensive lenses I wanted an opinion on the coverage of these lenses on
    EPIC 5K and what may change in case there is an increase in resolution from 5K to maybe 6K in
    dragon sensor which is I think around the corner....Will these lenses cover the sensor?

Thanks

Harcharan
    Dunno about the others, but Masters are good
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

Hi,

Thanks Gunleik
    Just wondering the coverage of Master Primes on an 8K dragon sensor...Your views on it

HS
    AVAILABLE NOW MONSTRO VV (CF) / ALEXA LF
    ARRI ALEXA SXT plus , ARRI ALEXA MINI WITH RAW/4:3, RED EPIC W ,RED DRAGONS, RED EPIC's

ZEISS SUPREME PRIME ,COOKE S4i, MASTER PRIMES , ULTRAPRIMES , CELERE HS , ZEISS CP2 , ALLURA ZOOMS , BASELIGHT 2 GEN 6 WITH BLACKBOARD ,
    Oconners 2565D, Oconner 2065 , Movi M15 with MIMIC.

www.editfxstudios.com

Though the sensor might have higher resolution, this doesn't mean its necessarily going to be larger.

Red defines more photosites on a per square mm than others would--in effect claiming the sensor is capable of higher resolution. It certainly is, but 5K is pushing the MX sensor, whereas a Dragon upgrade could be the same size but more capable. Perhaps Red has figured out a better way to extract pixels from their sensor's recipe.

In contrast, the 'other' camera over-samples heavily to get its 1080 output. What many of us hope to see out of Dragon is not a resolution space race, but more oversampling--for better color stability, underexposure performance and other subtle gains.

Knowing Red, they will pull off both in one move. But I highly doubt we will see an upgrade that makes the pantheon of cinema lenses unusable. That would be madness. The 5K frame difference on the Epic is because Red used firmware to extract more information from the same sensor . With Dragon, Red is giving us a whole new beast.

You are certainly asking the right questions, I think. How long do you need to recover your investment? How long do you expect them to retain value?

In the short term my guess is yes, but I don't think that glass is the same blue chip, long term investment that it once was. If the current resolution trend continues and larger sensors trickle down into consumer markets, I'm hedging my bets that top end production will be moving to larger sensors within the next eight to ten years. It may even be closer to five.

Senior Member Mike 'Fireman' Ross's Avatar
    I think the better question in the medium term is... RED Electronic mount and lenses. If they're as big a deal as I suspect they might be, they might just stand the entire world of cinema glass on its head. I'm buying odd bits of glass here and there and, (never thought I'd say it!) I'm even looking at springing for a set of RPPs at the right price. But I won't invest serious money in glass until I see what RED pull out of the electronic lens hat.

(Jim, Jarred, it's been all quiet on the electronic lens front for some time, if you've canned the idea please let us know!)

In the longer term the speculative question is the light field stuff...

None of the above should detract from the value of a set of MPs however!!

Mike
    'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.
    Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame.
    For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.'

RED SCARLET-X #513, 'Hekla'
    RED EPIC DRAGON #2229, 'Katla'
    RED ONE MX #10066, 'Askja'

Kolkata..is that the same as Calcutta?

If you're satisfied with RPP's, why spend the money on Master Primes, Ultraprimes?
    You will be buying at the top of the market.
    Those new Leica sound like a better investment, even with a one year wait.
    Also, if everything goes "3D" (yuck), then one set of an expensive lens set is again a half-investment.

Lens coverage chart here: http://web.me.com/ducloslenses/DataRef/ImgCir.html
    Note that none of the existing cine lens series (except Zeiss Compact Primes which are rehoused still lenses) will cover the Dragon FF sensor. If that is important to you.

Hi Harcharan,
    I have UltraPrimes 12mm - 100mm they all cover 5k . I am very sure 6k will be easy with them .

cooke S4/S5 dont cover 5k FF on the wide end,
    but nobody cares. They are rented out almost every day.
    Most people shoot 4K or 5k 2:1 from my clients.
    i dont think that the lens makret will go down. i guess the opposite will happen.
    it will get more expensive.
    there will be/are so many PL mount cameras around and the need of high quality glas increased the last years.
    the good thing about glas is you can rent it out to red, epic, alexa, sony, canon etc. jobs.
    and in my experience normal budgetee projects dont use uniqu, elite, rpp, panchro lenses that often.

right now in my experience its like this.
    ultra 25%, angenieux zooms 15%, masters 25%, cooke S4/S5 25%, others 10%
    red is not a color, it's a camera.