Thread: Timelapse Question for Red Team

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Timelapse Question for Red Team 
    I was hoping the Red Team could chime in and answer a few questions about time lapse on the Red One for me.

As we all know this forum has a wide variety of very talented individuals, one of my favourites of which is Tom Lowe. I think his time-lapse work is simply stunning. Its been a bit of an inspiration to me. Which brings me to my question. Currently, the slowest shutter speed capable in the R1's Time lapse mode is 1/2 a second. Is there a technical limit that prevents this from being extended to 1 second, or 5 seconds, or even 15 or 30 seconds? I am curious, because I have always understood the limits of 120 fps in 2k being quite simply the processing power of the camera to keep up. But I don't think i understand the limit going the other direction. Is it a limitation of the rolling shutter? would it be possible to increase this still or has technical limit been reached? If it has, would you be so kind as to explain to me what it is? I would be fascinated to know this.

Thanks so much for all your hard work. I love my R1 three years later and keep pushing the boundaries with each magic little software update you lot put out.
    Ian Laurie

Once they activate photographic modes in Epic/Scarlet firmware, I can imagine having longer exposure times. But I don't know if that will translate to the R1.
    Regards,

Uli

My Red is called Vertov after a Russian avantgarde filmmaker, a pioneer in modern cinematography, a true revolutionary who later suffered under Stalin's bureaucracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli Plank View Post
    Once they activate photographic modes in Epic/Scarlet firmware, I can imagine having longer exposure times. But I don't know if that will translate to the R1.
    Can't wait for this to happen.
    Nick Morrison - Director (WGA-East)

Scarlet Package (Upgrading to Epic Soon!)
    Contax Primes & Zooms (MM+AE, 16-500) + Hasseblad Primes (50-250) + Other Lens Exotica
    Davinci Resolve Station w/Rocket + Avid 7

Banned
    either that or the Dragon

Red Team? maybe this will come with the sweeping camera firmware updates that are coming with RedGamma3?
    Ian Laurie