Thread: Epic & Pix 240 "Green lines" issue

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Epic & Pix 240 "Green lines" issue 
    I did about a week's worth of testing with my Epic M / Pix 240 combo before taking it into the field with a client... everything worked great in the testing... I shot from a tripod, while walking, moving in a car, all sorts of stuff... I didn't even notice a need for an offset with the audio!

The first job went without a hitch. Everything worked perfectly! On our second effort in the field with the Pix 240, we had some issues... our client reported to us that on two clips (out of several hours of footage) there "green lines" in the video and the sync got off by as much as 6 seconds! I am boggled... (We talked an HD client into using the Epic instead of another camera as it could provide the "look" of film better than the other camera. They couldn't handle the 5K footage, so we suggested using the Pix 240 in their choice of Avid DNxHD 145! )

Here's a link to the video: https://vimeo.com/37137991

I've contacted both Sound Devices and Red and both seem to think the problem lies with the other... I don't care about blame, I just want to rectify the situation and NOT have it happen again.

I'd appreciate any help out there, as I'm a bit stumped right now.

The work flow was as follows:
    • Audio feed from a Sound Devices 522/744 INTO the Pix 240 via XLR cable
    • Audio OUT of the Pix 240 INTO the Red Epic with custom built Remote Audio 5 pin XLR to dual right angle mono mini jacks
    • Video feed OUT of Epic INTO Pix 240 (5K 2:1 ~ timebase of 29.97p to 1080, 30p (29.97) yes, we knew about the black bars...)
    • All menus/selections in Pix set to Red: Timecode, clip name, record trigger, etc.
    Thanks for the assistance.

are you on the latest firmware for the pix? if so, this is something you're gonna have to contact sound device directly with. you can also try reflashing the firmware to see if it fixes the issue.

This is a known issue. If you read the Pix 240 thread in Recon you will find a lot of info.
    According to Matt at Sound Devices there are two solutions to the green lines problem.
    I have two Pix 240's and two Epics. Both of their solutions work, but to be safe I have decided to use them simultaneously.
    One: Boot the Epic BEFORE you boot the Pix.
    Apparently there is some kind of weird SDI output during boot up from Epic that freaks out the Pix.
    Two: Buy the Epic sync cable and genlock the Epic to the Pix.
    I do both things and have not had a return of green lines which I previously was getting.
    Since the Pix is still new to me I still also continue to record on the Epic's SSD as a back up.

Tom,

Thanks for taking the time... yes, both camera and DVR have latest firmwares... I will try your idea.

I can't believe you responded so fast! This forum is great!

Mark,

To be fair... I did do a search on the forum for this... however, I read through pages and pages of just generic Pix 240 stuff... I didn't see anything. I'll confess, I'm new to Red, I'm new to the forum. There is TONS of great info here... but sometimes it is hard to find. Lots of posts that aren't necessary.

I did speak with both Red and Sound Devices today on the phone... both seemed very surprised about this... Honestly, I do remember reading something about "green lines" about two months ago, but couldn't recall that info, and couldn't find it here. I was told by SD today that I should boot the Pix 240 first! That is interesting... I'm going to choose to take YOUR word for the boot process, as you HAVE a camera!

I ordered the sync cable from Red last week, and received notice that it shipped today. Hopefully in two days the problem will be eradicated.

Thanks for the help! Much obliged.

BTW: My initial testing and first project didn't need any audio delay/offset... on this project, I noticed it was slightly out of sync. Are you applying 170 miliseconds or so of delay in your audio with the Pix 240? That's another test to perform this week!

You should also consider rolling on the Epic as a "back-up". You can always export better quality footage and have more look options.
    Im surprised SD's tech support wasnt aware of the issue...its been discussed several times.

I do have to ask why you would want to use the Epic if the output is Avid DNxHD 145?...seems like such a waste of a great camera on many levels.

digitalfx.tv

The RGBlog- Ramblings about Cameras, VFX, etc.
    Twitter

Red One #83
    Epic-M #98 and #240
    Epic-X #83 and #116

It's definately a waste unless you need to deliver a 1080p file at end of shoot. Then it is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    It's definately a waste unless you need to deliver a 1080p file at end of shoot. Then it is amazing.

no doubt, but DNxHD 145 as the only recording?

also there is no 1080 16:9 output available, so you must further degrade the signal or letterbox it.

digitalfx.tv

The RGBlog- Ramblings about Cameras, VFX, etc.
    Twitter

Red One #83
    Epic-M #98 and #240
    Epic-X #83 and #116

I almost exclusively shoot TV commercials which are released on 720P.
    1929x990?, or whatever the exact verticle count is, is still over sampled for my needs.

Also, there is a choice of DNXHD 145 or 220.