Thread: FCP/Color with Epic 5k

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 FCP/Color with Epic 5k 
    So this may seem like a stupid question but I've gotta ask it. I've shot a project on Epic 5k for the majority of the clips, however some 2 and 3k for overcrank. I've used Red Cine-X and a friend's Red-Rocket to transcode to quicktime pro-res HQ clips and then edited from those in Final Cut Pro 7. I've completed the edit and am ready to move to the grading process in Color. Is there a way to reform my project so that I connect the original Quick times to R3Ds. I'm trying to harness the power of the R3D's in color to allow me to reframe and get the most information possible. I've used a proxy workflow in the past with 4k footage and FCP and grading the original R3Ds in Color was never an issue. However, I feel that the 5k might be a snag.

Has anyone ever reconformed their 5k epic project to R3ds for grading in color? If so whats the best way to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chema View Post
    So this may seem like a stupid question but I've gotta ask it. I've shot a project on Epic 5k for the majority of the clips, however some 2 and 3k for overcrank. I've used Red Cine-X and a friend's Red-Rocket to transcode to quicktime pro-res HQ clips and then edited from those in Final Cut Pro 7. I've completed the edit and am ready to move to the grading process in Color. Is there a way to reform my project so that I connect the original Quick times to R3Ds. I'm trying to harness the power of the R3D's in color to allow me to reframe and get the most information possible. I've used a proxy workflow in the past with 4k footage and FCP and grading the original R3Ds in Color was never an issue. However, I feel that the 5k might be a snag.

Has anyone ever reconformed their 5k epic project to R3ds for grading in color? If so whats the best way to do this?
    Color will relink to R3D's, but only supports max 2K for coloring. (Not sure if Epic is compatible with Color)

I suggest you color in Resolve Lite import the XML, it will relink to the R3D's, then you can color and adjust metadata (your coloring with the full res R3D files). Only downside is 1080p max output. Resolve is 10x better than Color and Resolve has a FCP roundtrip where when you export select the preset FCP roundtrip, render, then export the xml from the resolve project, then open the xml in FCP and all your color corrected files will appear and playback without rendering....and in correct sequence...

Resolve Lite is free....
    http://blackmagic-design.com/product...esolve/models/

Don't believe Epic R3D files are compatible with Apple Color. We've had good luck transcoding the Epic RAW files to RedLog Film ProRes 4444 files from Red Cine-X and grading and finishing with these. Certainly not all the latitude of the RAW files but still pretty nice. Other than that you'd need to go to Resolve or Scratch.

I haven't tried this but I'm sure Color can handle 4K. Resolve lite is only 2K. Anyway I believe Color can handle the back and forth XML.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    EPIC-X "SHAI"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    I haven't tried this but I'm sure Color can handle 4K. Resolve lite is only 2K. Anyway I believe Color can handle the back and forth XML.
    Definitely have used Color before with Red R3D files but I do think it is limited to 2k. I'm outputting to 1080 so its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chema View Post
    Definitely have used Color before with Red R3D files but I do think it is limited to 2k. I'm outputting to 1080 so its fine.
    Do you have the RED color plugin installed? If so you should see the RED tab in Color...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Color is 2K 10bit maximum if I remember correctly...

Jon, Give Resolve a shot (I am in no way affiliated with Davinci, I just own Resolve). You will notice a difference from coloring in Resolve as opposed to Color. Trust me that once you get the hang of it you will never go back to Color....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
    Jon, Give Resolve a shot (I am in no way affiliated with Davinci, I just own Resolve). You will notice a difference from coloring in Resolve as opposed to Color. Trust me that once you get the hang of it you will never go back to Color....
    Thanks for the tip. I've dabbled in Resolve and will definitely give it a try. Are there any features missing in resolve that were in color?

only thing i can think of that color had that resolve doesn't is a fx/preset/plugin room. you'll get over it real quick...

and color sucked at working with r3ds. it never did a full debayer coming out of color. everything was incredibly soft. apple EOLed it, good riddance.