Thread: foolcat / foolmeta - R3D catalogs and metadatas ingest

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    version 1.02 just released fixes the issue with international (NON US) system settings.
    All should be good now !
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish twitter vimeo facebook instagram

This is exactly what I've been waiting for! Great work!

version 1.04 will now sort catalog using clip shot date and time by default...
    thanks Russell for suggesting this, it makes sense to do it like that anyhow instead of using clip's name :-)

Congrats Mikael, now works like a charm in non US systems. Like Hans and Clipfinder you are in the very best app ever!!

Thanks Men!
    "¿Render?... beer time!
    two Epic-X, 24"FSI 10bits, 50"Panny, Some computers; Work as Colorist, DIT and Tech Counselor.

Hi Mikael

Thanks for making this application! Bought it to support it's development.

Just tried using Foolcat for the first time (v1.04) on 10x128GB cards of mostly 5KWS Redcode 8:1, 75fps varispeed, 25fps timebase Epic footage.
    Late 2008 non-unibody 17" MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Redline up to date with current "Release" Redcine-X v506.

First time I tried, there was a corrupt clip, so as I was trying to change user metadata clip by clip, it bombed out with a divide by zero error.
    Renaming that corrupt clip so it wasn't recognised as a .R3D file allowed the editing of metadata to proceed and the jpg generation to complete.

Unfortunately, while it made all the jpgs fine, it stalled at "create HTML" - I left it running a good twenty minutes, and it didn't complete.
    Quitting Foolcat worked, but left the ::: foolcat ::: create HTML progress bar running on top of all windows, and I could not get rid of it except by restarting the computer.

The "Images" folder and graphics were also generated, but no sign of the HTML catalogue.

I had selected the offset beginning and end, but may have had very short takes which were no more than a few seconds long.

I don't see an option to select sort by a particular metadata field.

I do see the potential of this program. However, I miss certain things about Clipfinder.

1) The Excel spreadsheet layout of Clipfinder with editable fields allow me to see an overview of all my metadata ( with selectable columns ) at a glance.
    2) I believe I could sort by any metadata field
    3) It was easy to add notes to a clip - at the moment with Foolcat, I have to keep pressing a forward button to get to a clip possibly hundreds or more down the list. If we can't have a spreadsheet layout, maybe a thumbnail browser, or file list table to select. Or at least a backward button as well as a forward selection button. And prioritise navigation ahead of generating a thumbnail - would speed things up.
    4) I could save a job and use all the recurring personal and production company data as an editable template for a future job.
    DOP / Digital Lighting Camera Operator
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Hi Eric and thanks for your support.

- I'll try to see if I can detect corrupt clips better. Divide by zero means maybe it had a zero duration or framerate that caused an error later on.
    - if you force quit the app you can get rid of the progress bar by simply relaunching the app
    - no problem using offset on short clips, if it cannot get the offset it will do as much as it can.
    - it will by default sort by shot time/date
    - No preset yet but all entered meta is available in recent items list... So you can just type the first letters and it will auto complete or select one recent item from the list...

Did you try with a shorter list of clips to see if that work before trying again with very large library again ?
    I did tests with 200-300 clips here on a macbook air, took a bit of time but nothing like 20 mins... I'll do more tests with hundreds of clips and let you know...
    All your suggestions are valid and I will look into it. I started foolcat with the intention of making simple catalogs and then added the metadatas ingest option. REDCINE-X can also display those metadatas with columns etc... The frontier is fine between making a simple catalog tool and recreating a full REDCINE X / Storm like app...

Will see what I can add in next few version as to make it easier / faster for large libraries. Just received my RED Software Development Kit so give me a bit of time to see how I can start using that instead of REDLine for my future apps / updates

Hi Mikael

It's great to have you on here. And appreciate you don't want to recreate other tools.

I haven't had a chance to retry with fewer clips as all the media has gone with the production.
    I'll see if I can find some other footage to try it with.

I did try the first day of the shoot with 6x128GB cards and that failed the same way.

It may not be that large a number of clips, as most of our clips were long takes at 75fps. Maybe it's the number of chunks of each R3D clip?
    DOP / Digital Lighting Camera Operator
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

No the number of chunks should have no impact

I'll try to see if I can reproduce the issue on a snow leo .8 / REDCine X non pro 506 release combo...

Let me know if you can try with other clips see if you get the same problem but I think there must be some sort of software conflict on your config... Feel free to contact me directly by email so we can work it out when you have the time... I can send you 1 frame R3Ds to test and try other various things

New version 1.1 adds support for REDColor3, REDGamma3 and Unsharp Mask values.

FYI I just finished rewriting this app from scratch in Xcode (was just a simple applescript before) using the RED SDK.

It is MUCH faster now and should be more stable / reliable as a general app. It also has been updated to properly recognize and list the latest RED formats (1K, 3KHD etc) but basically produces the exact same cool catalogs.

I will release the app in the next few days, as a free upgrade for all previous users.

foolmeta is being rewritten too and will be released a bit later as a separate app with a much better interface to review and annotate clips.

If some of the registered users wants to access the new app before it is released to help testing it please email me directly.

Thanks