Thread: foolcat / foolmeta - R3D catalogs and metadatas ingest

Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
    Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dieker View Post
    Hi Mikael,

Your foolcat-app works flawlessly with about everything I have shot but my old RED ONE-files from 2008-2012. I don't know if I am alone having this problem but if there is a solution it would be much appreciated.

When I load an old RED ONE-mag folder in the source directory, foolcat recognizes the correct number of individual R3D-clips in that folder. But when I click ”Create catalog” the app never gets pass creating thumbnails for R3D clip 1/xxx. Foolcat neither freezes nor crashes. It just sits there, so to say. A main foolcat cataloge folder is created but no files are generated inside it.

It would be great to have foolcat work on my early RED work. (The app does support older R3Ds, as I understood it.)

DETAILS

I’ve tried the following things on both a high end iMac 5K 2017, a MBP 15" 2013 and MBP 17” 2011, all with the latest MacOS and software, but the end result is the same:

1) Trashing the latest versions of foolcat and RCX-PRO plus preference files and reinstalling everything including the RED Apple workflow plugin.

2) Ran Disk utility.

3) Source directory in foolcat has been set to the original RED MAG-folder that was processed with the Redcine dating back to when it was originally shot (2008-2012). I tried both with the old QT-proxies present in the .RDC-folder and without them.

4) Source directory set to a duplicate RED MAG-folder processed with the latest RCXP 42 as well as the latest beta version of RCXP 50. Created new RMD-files each time.

5) Tried source directory set to either a) the RED MAG-folder, b) the .RDM-folder or c) the individual .RDC-folder.

6) Cleaned in and out set points of individual files.

7) Created new (RED ONE) R3D-files using RED TRIM in RCX-PRO.

As I said, foolcat has no problem generating catalogs for EPIC and EPIC-DRAGON or any QT-files I throw at it.

Thanks for a super app!

PS: Any chance you can update foolcat to create larger / higher resolution jpgs in the foolcat_files-folder? And while we’re at it, perhaps an option for increasing the number of jpg thumbnails generated for each clip? :)
    strange it does not work as I often test with old clips dating back to early R1 days.
    Maybe an issue with file path or something as I just verified RED ONE still works here.
    please email me so we can look into this... mika at foolcolor dot net

as for larger files and more thumbnails per cli, both are planned future features ;-)
    foolcat [COLOR="DarkGrey"] : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

I'm having the same issue. It get stuck forever generating Red still. I updated everything to the lasted version. On previous shoots, I noticed that if it was just QT or RED it was fine.. but when the folder has both.. it just goes into a limbo. I'm on a Macbook Pro 13in.

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve peralta View Post
    I'm having the same issue. It get stuck forever generating Red still. I updated everything to the lasted version. On previous shoots, I noticed that if it was just QT or RED it was fine.. but when the folder has both.. it just goes into a limbo. I'm on a Macbook Pro 13in.
    Hi Steve, please email me (mika at foolcolor dot net) so I can look into it and fix the issue.
    Thanks
    foolcat [COLOR="DarkGrey"] : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Hi Mikael,

Are you planning to bring the RED Image Pipeline in to Foolcat? As far as I can judge my settings don't carry over to the pdfs.

Best wishes,

Calle

PS: The app works much better now when cataloging my old RED ONE R3Ds.

Carl Dieker
    filmmaker / Stockholm

Hi Mikael,

First, AWESOME work with Foolcat. It's just amazing!!

The one thing that i think it's missing, maybe just for me, is the possibiity to add some custom text to each clip.
    Since we are using this to make camera reports i'll be awesome to have the possibility to add comments like type of filter used in the shot, important info about the shot for editors, VFX, colourist, etc...

Or maybe this is possible but i just missing how?

Thanks for the hard work!

Just bought this to try out on a shoot this last week. Great work on the program!

I'd like to echo a feature request somebody made earlier: anamorphic desqueeze on ProRes screenshots. Now, from what I've read, ProRes doesn't have a way of flagging anamorphic footage, but if we had the option of manually checking a box and selecting the squeeze ratio before creating the reports so we can have proper frame grabs, that would be great. I tend to find myself on lots of Alexa Mini anamorphic shoots, so that's a feature I'd use constantly.

edit: I noticed the metadata knows the camera is an Alexa Mini and the clip resolution. The resolutions used when shooting anamorphic are specific to being anamorphic (those exact resolutions aren't available in spherical modes). Perhaps if foolcat sees the metadata and knows it is an Alexa, then sees any one of the specific sets of resolutions employed in anamorphic mode, it could then know it has to do a 2x desqueeze on that clip. That way, if I switch to the 2K anamorphic mode (which is already desqueezed) on the same card, foolcat could tell from the resolution that those particular clips don't need a desqueeze and would only apply the desqueeze to the proper clips.

Of course, I'm no programmer, so maybe what I'm proposing is completely stupid and can't be implemented. It was just something that crossed my mind as a suggestion, if feasible.

2nd edit: I also like the previous request for adding a LUT conversion for ProRes, as most Alexa shoots use Log and it would be nice to have the reports either do a generic Log->Rec 709 conversion, or if you want to be fancy, let us point foolcat to a specific LUT to apply to the framegrabs.
    www.kfwright.com
    Teradek Bolt 600 HDMI/SDI (1 TX 2 RX)
    Sony CineAlta PL lens set: 20/25/35/50/85/135
    Hedge data management
    Foolcat and Foolcontrol user