Thread: Tripod for Epic

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tripod for Epic 
    Hey there, I had on order in Australia a Sachtler 7+7 Cine fluid head and sticks. It was going to be AUD$11300 + GST (10%) from db Audio Visual in Hawthorn, VIC. I paid $1000 deposit to order it back in November and I haven't had the cash to pay for it when it came in because of all the other expenses related to getting our new Epic. And db don't take credit cards or gravitate much away from full retail pricing...

I'm now in Hollywood about to pick up the Epic which I ordered (Stage 4) and suddenly thought, even if I lose my $1000 deposit, I'd probably be ahead to buy local, in California. It would be cheaper, plus when I convert back to AUD it'll be cheaper again due to good exchange rates, plus db were going to charge $400 in shipping and I'd probably have to pay CA tax anyway once it's sent to me as he would report the full value on the invoice on the box... I'd also get it straight away, get local support, and not risk problems with customs shipping it over.

And then I thought, is this even the best tripod for my needs? What seemed good about it was it's ability to take small and large payloads (up to 48lbs i believe).

Does anyone have an experience with these heads? Are they good? For a full epic rig? I'm not going crazy yet with my rig, (canon mount and lenses so far) but eventually I would want to put a nice follow focus with cine lenses etc on it.

Or what do you suggest I should get for a proper cine standard head for my epic? I want to get a Dana Dolly too so something with a good head I can transfer on to that too.

And most importantly, where in Hollywood should I go who will look after me, with a good price, and who will take credit card?

Thanks for any advice you can give. I really appreciate it and this community, I read stuff every day! All I'm missing from what I've ordered is my canon mount, everything else I have including redmote, bomb evf and the lcd screen, side handle etc (ordered a few days after Scarlet announcement).

Ben

Ben considering you're going with Canon mount and lenses...seems like you may be going abit overboard with the Sachtler 7+7.
    Is there something you're planning on doing to need such weight.
    I just checked ebay and found a pretty good selection of Cartoni Gamma and Delta heads in price range of $3-4,000
    But if you still want the Sachtler..check your PM box here and will try to send you some leads on that.

Yeah - I hear ya. I guess I was just planning for the future so that if the camera gets used for more serious rigs I'm 'ready' for it. So the Cartoni ones would be good for the Epic? I haven't heard of those ones.Thanks for your help.

Cartoni Focus HD is what I have.. love it! Great value and popular option here on reduser.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=cartoni+focus
    Last edited by Mike Tiffee; 02-15-2012 at 10:18 PM.
    Freelance Broadcast Technical Director
    Based in Charleston, SC

Scarlet-X #1456

Yes the 7+7 is absolutely IDEAL for Epic. That's what I'm getting.

I have a Miller arrow 55, similar size and weight ratings. Was always a bit lightweight for the RED but I think it will be just about perfect for EPIC.
    TEHBEN DEAN
    EPIC-X #557
    www.tehbendean.com
    I love to shoot beautiful things with cameras...

Well someone on a PM offered an Oconnor 2060 fluid head second hand. So will check that out on Saturday. He said it would work with heavy and light rigs. It's only for the head tho. Any thoughts on what you'd be willing to pay for one (he didn't specify a price).

THANK YOU for all the other ideas too. I'm glad to hear the 7+7 is good and perfect for the Epic! And I heard the Miller's are good too. Just a bit nervous spending so much money on something I wasn't even sure was going to be a good fit for the Epic. You've all reassured me that whether I get this 2060 or the 7+7 or whatever else, it'll be good to go for any type of Epic rig I build. That makes me feel a lot better! :)

I second the Sachtler 7+7, it will outlast your camera (even if it's from RED).
    Regards,

Uli

My Red is called Vertov after a Russian avantgarde filmmaker, a pioneer in modern cinematography, a true revolutionary who later suffered under Stalin's bureaucracy.

Cool. It's good to know it's working well. Thank you!

Ben I did not quite follow some of your logic in the second paragraph of your orginal post but you certainly wont pay CA tax on it if you source your head from db Audio Visual. If it is sourced by them from CA and directly exported there is no CA tax - on the other hand if you buy yourself in CA there is no way of avoiding the tax. I appreciate your concern about shipping costs but if you bring it back yourself there is a good chance it will add to your luggage costs so you won't save it all and like it or not GST is going to grab you. Do your sums carefully - you might not end up much in front. If you buy from an Australian supplier they do all the shipping/handling/customs things - you just buy it like an Australian made product. Exchange rates are always a lottery whether you are buying through an importer or buying direct - you just sort of hope it balances out over the years