Thread: What's in your bag? Post your bag...

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Wernham View Post

1) Petrol Red Bag (PRB-15)
    I have a smaller Petrol bag for my trusty old Panasonic AG-HPX170 (which doesn't see a lot of use these days) and I love it. It's a really lightweight, sturdy bag and it even looks quite nice as camera bags go. It has never failed me. This bag is designed for use with the Red One, but I'd imagine that I could make it work just fine for my Scarlet. Any arguments for or against this assumption? Any prior experiences with the bag for your Epic or Scarlet? Any experience using it with a Red One? I'd assume that it has great build quality just like the other Petrol bag that I have, but any comments to the contrary? According to B&H the product has been discontinued. Any other places where you'd suggest I look to get a new one or am I basically limited to used bags at this point?
    Hey Nick,
    i dit not know that Petrol makes bags special for REd cam's. From this 4 bags, i would prefer the Petrol Red Bag (PRB15). Petrol is good in price and quality...
    Cheers,
    Peter
    Switzerland

Epic-X / R1 / D16

http://facebook.com/PeterStadelmannCH

Si vis pacem, para bellum!

I was pretty excited by the design of the thing when I saw it, Peter. It is designed for the Red One though so I'm wondering how good it is for a camera with the form factor of the Epic/Scarlet. It's also discontinued according to B&H so the used route might be the only way to go in order to get it.
    C.E.O. of Wernham Entertainment Inc.
    Current Project(s):
    "Business Ethics" [Completed Short]
    "Public Service" [Short in Post-Production]
    "No Stranger Than Love" [Feature in Post-Production]

Co-Owner of Epic-X #3805 "Hentgen" & Scarlet-X #557 "Stieb"

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Wernham View Post
    I was pretty excited by the design of the thing when I saw it, Peter. It is designed for the Red One though so I'm wondering how good it is for a camera with the form factor of the Epic/Scarlet. It's also discontinued according to B&H so the used route might be the only way to go in order to get it.
    I think the bag fits for Epic/Scarlet very good. 4 removable internal dividers, should be enough...
    Several shops in Europe have the bag in stock.
    Switzerland

Epic-X / R1 / D16

http://facebook.com/PeterStadelmannCH

Si vis pacem, para bellum!

4K+ in a backpack.......still blows my mind.
    Affecting the emotion of mankind through images is the greatest thrill of all.

Though I'm putting together something a little more production friendly, I have a Think Tank airport international backpack that I used to take a fairly complete Epic package to Europe.

Approximate contents included:
    Epic-x with viewfactor cage and DSMC side handle
    5" touch LCD
    6 redvolts and 2 travel chargers
    4x SSD mags
    Pix240 w 2x SSD drives
    7x Leica R cine-modded lenses
    2x red station SSD readers
    Tiffen 77mm filter set (.3, .6, .9, 1.2, 1.5IR, 1.8IR, 2.1IR, pola, optical clear) and screw-on lens shade
    Various cables, bits, bolts, allens
    17" MBP fits in the outer sleeve (not padded, but for personal transit, it works
    Basically everything I'd need to shoot if all my checked gear got lost in transit...

The best part about this backpack is it meets international carry-on requirements, which are generally more restrictive than domestic. On the way to Italy, I had a puddle-jumper from NYC to Boston, and my heart sank when they told me my backpack likely wouldn't fit inside the cabin, but I insisted on trying. My wife's satchel would barely fit in the overhead, but my think tank slid right under the seat (minus the MBP)...from that moment forward, I knew I had the best travel backpack for this camera system!

One other feature I like about think tank bags compared to others is it seems to give you the most useable space inside by maintaining a rectangular shape (whereas most camera/photo backpacks I looked at have curved edges, and therefore wasted space).

Only downside is I chose the non-rolling version (more useable space given outer dimensions, lighter starting weight)...my bag ended up weighing about 60 lbs, so was quite a bear when walking nearly a mile from Logan's domestic to international wing. That said, international carry-on requirements say bags must weigh something ridiculous like 22lbs or less, so I wanted a bag that was as light as possible before I jammed all my equipment inside...and then I did my best to not show any struggle when picking it up by ticket counters...ah, the things we do for our profession!

Will have to look and see if I have any pictures of my pre-journey packing job, as it was an amazing sight to behold.

Great thread!
    Between the great things we cannot do and the small things we will not do, the danger is that we shall do nothing.
    - Adolph Monod

www.clintlitton.com
    www.obpfilms.com

Here's mine:

A fully functional hand-held rig fits in my porta brace, minus battery (though I can stuff a couple batteries in there). It fits in the case in a tripod config, and the handheld junk has to be added after it's left the bag. FYI, that's the Pix 240 hanging off the back under the Brick.

Focus knob, Aaton hand grip and shoulder pad go in the side pocket, and filters (up to 6) go in the side bottom pocket (intended for a ENG quick release plate). There's also extra space to put in media (not in it's plastic box, though) and other junk in the top drop-in drawer part (pictured with mattebox), which is made from corrugated plastic, taped together. LCD touchscreen goes in the plastic corrugated box stuck infront of the lens.

The viewfinder part of the case folds up for air travel, and I have to empty the side pockets, but I can jam most of it in around the camera. Technically, it's too big for carry-on, but one of the reasons I bought the porta brace is that it's color and design is universally recognizable as "fancy camera" to airline staff and flight attendants, so they don't mess with me.

FYI, I custom designed and machined most of the bracketry to make the smallest/lightest rig I could, so I can't say that any other config would fit (though I did carry my RED One in here, so it's not that tight).

Frazer Bradshaw, DP
    Oakland, CA
    www.frazerbradshaw.com
    Epic #811

Which Portabrace is that Frazer?
    TEHBEN DEAN - stills & motion
    EPIC-X #557
    www.thedeanbrothers.com
    I love to shoot beautiful things with cameras...

I don't know the model, and I can't seem to locate the exact model on the website, but it may be an older (now almost three years old) version of this one:

http://www.portabrace.com/products/c...w-camera-cases
    Frazer Bradshaw, DP
    Oakland, CA
    www.frazerbradshaw.com
    Epic #811

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Stevenson View Post
    Bag is a Lowepro PRO RUNNER 450 AW BACKPACK. It's like a bottomless pit.
    I have the exact same bag, my Scarlet isn't here yet, but it's nice to see that I made the right choice when I purchased this big boy.

In the meantime I'm carrying a full set of Dedolight DH4s (including stands) and a couple of DSLRs with lenses in it

BTW, I managed to take it on a plane with me as carry on, it all depends on the person who's checking in your luggage and how you deal with them
    Last edited by Demetri Zuev; 02-29-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    "Production value!"

I take mine on planes regularly. The only time of 20 or more that I've ever had an issue was on tiny commuter planes, where's there literally nowhere it fits. I carry fragile stickers for those instances, but it's still hair raising.
    Frazer Bradshaw, DP
    Oakland, CA
    www.frazerbradshaw.com
    Epic #811