Thread: Shooting an iPad

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Shooting an iPad 
    So I got a last minute job for tomorrow shooting a demo of a piece of software on an iPad. The client wants a hand in the shot, so just recording the output of the iPad is not an option, I gotta go epic! So here are my questions. Are there are issues with flicker/rolling on the screen that anyone has seen? I figure that a 1/60th shutter for 24p might be necessary, but won't be able to test with an iPad before I go to shoot. I have a 4th gen iPod touch that I am going to test with, but wasn't sure if the retina screen uses a different refresh rate.

How are you all dealing with reflections? I figure soft light at an angle to light the hand but to try and not get glare off the screen. Also figuring that a 4x4 flag will be useful to block and reflection that I might get from other lights. Just trying to think about such a reflective surface. I know finger smudges will be an issue and that cleaning the iPad often will just be a fact of life.

Anything I am missing?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    So I got a last minute job for tomorrow shooting a demo of a piece of software on an iPad. The client wants a hand in the shot, so just recording the output of the iPad is not an option, I gotta go epic! So here are my questions. Are there are issues with flicker/rolling on the screen that anyone has seen? I figure that a 1/60th shutter for 24p might be necessary, but won't be able to test with an iPad before I go to shoot. I have a 4th gen iPod touch that I am going to test with, but wasn't sure if the retina screen uses a different refresh rate.

How are you all dealing with reflections? I figure soft light at an angle to light the hand but to try and not get glare off the screen. Also figuring that a 4x4 flag will be useful to block and reflection that I might get from other lights. Just trying to think about such a reflective surface. I know finger smudges will be an issue and that cleaning the iPad often will just be a fact of life.

Anything I am missing?

Thanks.
    LED and LCD shouldn't flicker. Flicker is for old school monitors are crt displays. Can you green screen and comp the display on the ipad? We usually put green cardstock or paper over the screen flat, add a couple tracking markers on the edges of the green paper and the center, then composite in AE. Its easier to control and your app demo is much more controlled. Its tough to cut reflections out while maintining exposure on the ipad screen and also your "talent".

Shot some iPad stuff on Monday (I'd show you clips, but they belong to the client until released next month) - no problems at all. iPad was flat on a table for some shots with some snot tape under to hold it firm, the other shots were in a lap on the chesterfield.

We found an angle that didn't show lights / glare / cam reflection/ or too many finger smudges… probably just blind luck that everything lined up first time.

Most difficult thing was getting the hand model to follow instructions and use the program that we were showing.

G.
    Can't believe I get paid to do this.
    If I don't own it I rent it...

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Powell View Post
    Shot some iPad stuff on Monday (I'd show you clips, but they belong to the client until released next month) - no problems at all. iPad was flat on a table for some shots with some snot tape under to hold it firm, the other shots were in a lap on the chesterfield.

We found an angle that didn't show lights / glare / cam reflection/ or too many finger smudges… probably just blind luck that everything lined up first time.

Most difficult thing was getting the hand model to follow instructions and use the program that we were showing.

G.
    Hand models are the worst. As a shooter thats the last thing you are concerned with but that usually ends up being the biggest issue.

Easy... put a green picture with 5 black dots as the screen and shoot live. Then track the dots on the screen and add the video captured direct from ipad.. done

Quote Originally Posted by Ben A. View Post
    Easy... put a green picture with 5 black dots as the screen and shoot live. Then track the dots on the screen and add the video captured direct from ipad.. done
    That's all well and good - but - If you are doing a demo of a piece of software, and the hand model needs to interact with the software; green screen and tracking dots won't really work. There is nothing for the hand to manipulate or take cues from: where is the button? has the software opened yet? what's my timing?

Some things have to be done the old fashioned way, captured live off the floor.
    Can't believe I get paid to do this.
    If I don't own it I rent it...

Be careful if you are doing and exterior shot and using polarization filters as they don't play nice with the screens.
    A Peter Strietmann
    plaidass1@mac.com
    [url]https://peterstrietmann.com

"Read or bleed people, learn or burn."