Thread: My Macbook Pro needs help...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 My Macbook Pro needs help... 
    NYC, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Charleston, SC
    I finally tested PP5.5 in my 2008 Macbook Pro Dual Core 2.4Ghz, 6GB, 500GB 7200 and unless I'm doing something wrong, my 700MB R3D test file doesn't really play back, even at 10% size. The cursor moves across the timeline but the image struggles to keep up.

I'm not clear on what my next step should be. I've considered installing an SSD for the applications only, and running files from an external drive. I've inferred from other posts that one typically sets one external drive as the source and another as the scratch disk, with both using the fastest connection available. For me, this would be using either Firewire 800 and/or an eSata adapter in the expresscard slot and two external 7200rpm drives.

Do I spend money testing this proposition or just get another computer (which will also have to be upgraded)? Will even a new Macbook Pro keep up? Thanks in advance.
    Scarlet-X #1840

What kind of video card is in there? It wont play back smoothly without one of the certified NVIDIA GPUs in it to power the Mercury Playback Engine

I should have included that. It's a GeForce 8600M GT. I was aware that there was a card requirement when I went this route but know other folks are also using Macbook Pros.

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Nero View Post
    What kind of video card is in there? It wont play back smoothly without one of the certified NVIDIA GPUs in it to power the Mercury Playback Engine
    Scarlet-X #1840

Have you changed your SYSTEM PREFERENCES > ENERGY SAVER settings and chosen the Better Performance instead of Better Battery Life? This enables the discreet graphics adapter giving you more video processing power.

....And also, you would benefit from a SSD, but because of the nvidia ACHI at SATA2 speeds (3Gb) make sure if you buy an SSD, DO NOT get a SATA3 SSD thinking it will be better. I did that on my 2009 17" and it negotiated my 6Gbps (SATA3) SSD down to not 3.0, but 1.5. My recommendation is the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 3G SSD 240GB for very reliable & price vs performance.

If you do not use your DVD drive, then you could add an additional SSD in the optical bay (again SATA2 @ 3Gbps) for a Scratch volume. This will improve things dramatically as well.

But either way, don't expect to preview more than 1/4 at 4kHD or 1/8 on 5k without hiccups as you are still limited to the capabilities of your CPU threads in lieu of a mobile rocket.

Jay:

Thank you. That is exactly the SSD I was looking at. My MBP does not support the "data doubler" as offered by OWC. I wonder if someone does offer it.

Does buying a newer MBP solve my problem or am I looking at gaming PC's or a Mac Pro? I'd love to stay portable. Buying a $5000 video card is not an option, I'm afraid, even if I did have a computer that could hold it.

I think I'd be happy with totally smooth playback/preview of 1/4 (or perhaps 1/2) with 4K. Any serious project I'm on will have an editor who can worry about it.

Incidentally, NONE of the mac computers appear to have an "approved" card. Is it a mistake to use a mac at all for Premiere Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Thomasberg View Post
    ....And also, you would benefit from a SSD, but because of the nvidia ACHI at SATA2 speeds (3Gb) make sure if you buy an SSD, DO NOT get a SATA3 SSD thinking it will be better. I did that on my 2009 17" and it negotiated my 6Gbps (SATA3) SSD down to not 3.0, but 1.5. My recommendation is the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 3G SSD 240GB for very reliable & price vs performance.

If you do not use your DVD drive, then you could add an additional SSD in the optical bay (again SATA2 @ 3Gbps) for a Scratch volume. This will improve things dramatically as well.

But either way, don't expect to preview more than 1/4 at 4kHD or 1/8 on 5k without hiccups as you are still limited to the capabilities of your CPU threads in lieu of a mobile rocket.
    Last edited by Arnold F.; 02-08-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    Scarlet-X #1840

There don't appear to be any macs that have an approved card, which in turn appears to mean that no files will play back smoothly on a mac running PP. I shouldn't be on a mac at all.

Scarlet-X #1840

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold F. View Post
    There don't appear to be any macs that have an approved card, which in turn appears to mean that no files will play back smoothly on a mac running PP. I shouldn't be on a mac at all.
    Man I love my Pc...lol

You're a bastard AND you made me laugh.

Even if I wasn't already somewhat invested in mac I couldn't bring myself to go back to PC's.

Man I love my Pc...lol
    Scarlet-X #1840

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold F. View Post
    You're a bastard AND you made me laugh.
    haha!