Thread: Archival Storage Questions

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Archival Storage Questions 
    After an external Backup-Harddrive of mine made some Problems I really need to work out my archiving workflow and I have some questions.

LTO still seems to be the best and cost effective way for long time archival. The question is LTO-4 or LTO-5. The tape deck price difference is just a few hundred. LTO-5 tapes store 1.500GB whats nearly double of LTO-4 tapes but at more than double the price. But as long as you can write LTO-4 tapes with an LTO-5 deck I assume the 5 is worth the price difference?

So this would be an archival sollution for RAW files and finished Projects. But that is 'just' one copy.

While working on a project, having a backup of the RAW Data on LTO-Tape and storing Project files Online, while working with a redundant Disc Array like RAID 5, seems fine to me, or what is your workflow.

I'm mainly working on Music-Videos. I always deliver standart Formats, for TV and Web, but after a project is finished, payed and distributed the one thing I'm asked most of the time is to render out specific file Formats. I then just need to grab the final uncompressed render of the Clip and encode it to their wishes - of course they could do it by their own, but most clients don't know how and don't even want the big uncompressed file, but consider me to archive it and deliver further formats, something that's fine for me to do.

So I'm thinking about a cost effective way to store just the final uncompressed clips and be able to grab them fast and easy. And as I dont trust harddrives I was thinking about Bluray. Does anyone of you use Blueray for storage? A final Music video in 1080p is about 30 GB so it would fit a 50GB Bluray. What if a file is larger, like a shortfilm I made, where the final size is 150 GB? Am I able to store this one file to several Blurays?

Or are there any other cost effective possibilties I'm not aware of?
    Director/DP/Writer
    Hamburg - Germany
    http://kimfrank.net

I went with Cache-a and Cat-DV.
    Matt Gottshalk
    http://www.mcgeedigitalmedia.com
    https://vimeo.com/86056260
    EPIC-X "Deckard"
    Duclos 11-16mm
    RPZ 17-50mm
    Red 50-150mm

Thanks Matt...
    Director/DP/Writer
    Hamburg - Germany
    http://kimfrank.net

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Frank View Post
    A final Music video in 1080p is about 30 GB so it would fit a 50GB Bluray.
    I archive my finals in Prores 4444. A 5 min video weighs in at just under 10 gigs.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Epic X - #5515 | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | INCREDIBLE (Scarlet Music Video)

Just started using bluray. The double layer discs can store nearly 50gigs so a short film would fit on a couple of blu ray discs.

I'm in music videos as well and have the exact same requests. One thing a friend suggested me to do is copy to 1 TB hard drives and store in a good place. Perhaps more than one copy. Though this is more accesible I doubt it is more reliable than blu ray discs. I think Blu ray have a good life time as the discs are usually of good quality.. Dual layers are worth considering though a bit more pricey. I never used tapes to be honest and dont want to go in further expenses at the moment. Perhaps others have different views.

I try to operate on Peter Krogh's 3-2-1 Backup Rule: 3 copies of your data, stored on 2 separate kinds of media, with 1 stored off-site (out of your house or office).

There's an old expression: "if you only have your data in one place, you don't really own your data." I know of several awful stories involving record labels and film studios where many important films, videotapes, and sound recordings were destroyed because a) they stored them all in one place, and b) they had no real backups. In one case, they had backups... but they were stored in the same building that burned down.

Me personally, I'd put the projects on two brand-new hard drives, also make an LTO backup (LTO-4 is fine for short reels), and also a high-def videotape, assuming the final delivery was in HD. Long-term, so far, the only strategy is to migrate your files to new drives every few years.
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk.Attard View Post
    Just started using bluray. The double layer discs can store nearly 50gigs so a short film would fit on a couple of blu ray discs.

I'm in music videos as well and have the exact same requests. One thing a friend suggested me to do is copy to 1 TB hard drives and store in a good place. Perhaps more than one copy. Though this is more accesible I doubt it is more reliable than blu ray discs. I think Blu ray have a good life time as the discs are usually of good quality.. Dual layers are worth considering though a bit more pricey. I never used tapes to be honest and dont want to go in further expenses at the moment. Perhaps others have different views.
    Kirk.

We've had TERRIBLE experience with those portable harddrives. I almost have as many failed drives in the closet as I have working drives. FreeAgent's, WD myBooks, all total crap. Data recovery is expensive if you hit between the "cycle backups". We are talking to Rorke about their systems which include LTO-5. No decisions on our upgrade path just yet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Cooper View Post
    Kirk.

We've had TERRIBLE experience with those portable harddrives. I almost have as many failed drives in the closet as I have working drives. FreeAgent's, WD myBooks, all total crap. Data recovery is expensive if you hit between the "cycle backups". We are talking to Rorke about their systems which include LTO-5. No decisions on our upgrade path just yet.
    i've had the same experience with harddrives, ive had them fail after an hour, a week, a month.. and yet i have old harddrives that must be nearly pushing 15years old, some older, that still power up and have NO surface defects.. drives got higher in capacity, and crap, in equal measure.. what happened, i had more luck recording data from my zx spectrun to an audio cassette in the 80s than using modern external drives recently, and that task rarely went smoothly (the c64 was much better, with its fancy tape recorder)

If your data is really important, I'd suggest converting it to binary then manually transcribing that to the inside surface of a cave using berry juice and mud.. don't forget the checksum, so future anthropologists can verify the data .. imagine their primitive faces when they realize we were once more advanced than them, before the asteroid came, and the irony that most records of our culture were ultimately lost by advances in technology, and because the last big paper manufacturer closed shop due to incompetent management..

You know, 1/4 and 1/2 tape, is still the best medium to capture music with, by a long long way.. its not limited to 44/48/96khz discrete samples, it can capture millions of transients a second, and all those harmonics.. digital sound devices can't.. but neither can it ever be backed up exactly.. food for thought

I imagine bluray discs are best hung from poles and left in fields swaying in the wind, to scare crows away from crops .. which is definately the best use I've seen for CDr so far

Conrad - you moight be right about the BD but they are cheap and add to an easy extra medium which you can easily store in a different place at least. As of hard drives. I obviously had crashes and data lost but nowehere near as disastrous as some people suggest. To be honest I still have to find a viable cost effective solution, cos though occasionaly I have to retrieve something I did years before its not common and frankly not worth the investment. Though I am a big fan of backups and RAID etc.. You can never be too cautious while working on a project. But we are taking about archving here and 4k files especially can get pretty large quickly so its a different story.

We've been using LTO-4 and Bru software for several years with no isues. very reliable and safe storage. keep one copy in the studio and clone in the bank's safe deposit box of site.