Thread: Contrast/color shift when exporting ProRes??

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Contrast/color shift when exporting ProRes?? 
    Advice would be much appreciated on this!

I exported a 2 minute scene from a 1080 ProRes HQ timeline, and made it into the same ProRes HQ 1080 file. Filters had been applied and rendered out fully in the timeline.

It's pretty obvious that the new file, when played back, has a contrast and saturation shift. The shadows were bought up and are slightly milky/more grainy, and the color has faded slightly. I assume this is pretty common when dealing with FCP. Is there a known fix or am I doing something wrong? Why would the codec-matching exported file not look exactly the same as my timeline footage?

I read some other posts about this issue on different boards but didn't see a solution. If its been answered here, I haven't found it yet.

Are you viewing in the timeline of FCP the re imported file, or in another program. Unfortunately FCP/Quicktime has issues with Gamma shifts between pretty much every program.

If it's rendered on the timeline, and you have exported a self contained quicktime using the 'current settings', and then re-imported and are viewing in FCP again, there really shouldn't be a gamma shift, but if it has gone through another program then unfortunately you may come across them.

If you view that quicktime in any other program, including Quicktime Pro or Quicktime X, you are likely to get issues with Gamma shifts.

I was viewing in QT. This must be a huge issue given how many people use FCP. Is there some common way of dealing with it? How do all these FCP based post houses deliver ProRes?

What can you do, over-saturate and kick up the contrast before exporting?