Thread: How to transcode & edit 48fps project in avid

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 How to transcode & edit 48fps project in avid 
    Since there is no transcode settings for 48fps , how can transcode & on what project settings to edit in avid for project shot and to be projected in 48fps
    Thanks
    G.Balaji
    Digital Cinema Designer (from Shoot to Delivery)
    www.gbalaji.in
    gbalaji@gmail.com
    Ph: 91-9840224733
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/gopalbalaji
    Film Credits: Margazhi Raagam, Thiru Thiru Thuru Thuru, Pookisham, Tamil Padam, Ethirmarai, 180, Vazhakku EN 18/9, Thangameengal,Vallinam, Spanish Masala (Mal), David (Hindi), Thupakki, Thaandavam, Vallinam, Thangameengal, YAYA, ONE (Telugu), Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam, Ithu Kathirvelan Kadhal, Golisoda...

There is no native 48fps editing in Media Composer where 48fps represents real time. This is being done on a couple major feature films and the production company's digital pipeline wrote their own software to transcode every other frame into native 24fps where the editing is essentially being one every other frame. Only in the conform checks and such will they see the full 48fps and adjust accordingly if needed.

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

Michael, I just have to say having you around these forums is awesome - your awareness of not just the current workflows but also what people are doing on the cutting edge to make things work is both inspiring, and a useful reminder to everyone that this is an industry which is at all levels make-do, by which I mean it's one where you do whatever is necessary, to make the films you want - and sometimes that means INVENTING a workflow.

In a time and age where everyone is screaming out for more and more quick answers and solutions online, it's great for people entering into production and post to be reminded that at even the truly high end of professional film making there is enough constant experimentation for the answer to the ever pressing question of 'How can I do that, with this software/hardware/equipment?' is often enough 'You can't right now, but sort out a work around and we'll try and figure out a solution for the next release...':)

It is humbling to remember it is often those have had to bodge together work arounds who are the ones who set the creative standards that everyone then aspires to emulate, and who actually end up being able to do it faster, quicker and easier because someone else bothered to do it the hard way first.

Thank you Craig - Technology is constantly changing for everyone - the demands may be the same but are just on different schedules and budgets ;)

Mchael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

Michael, I too extend a super-hearty thanks!

BTW - Am I the only mad person tempted to speed up by 4% and edit offline at 1080p50... aka PAL? Or even interlaced 50i? Ha!

I don't particularly like it (I've done the "edit at 25p for 24p" thing before and it screws up my pacing when it's slowed back down again)...

So yes, 24p does seem great for the offline.

But gosh I hope Avid and the finishing / color app folks and the monitoring folks sort everything out soonish and give us true 48p soonish!

I was reading the DaVinci Resolve manual and there seemed to be no provision for changing frame-rates on a project, which was a little bit scary...

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    Thank you Craig - Technology is constantly changing for everyone - the demands may be the same but are just on different schedules and budgets ;)

Mchael
    How about generating 48fps quick time and edit in FCp timeline which will auto adjust sequence timebase based on qt frame rate base
    Thanks
    G.Balaji
    www.gbalaji.in
    gbalaji@gmail.com
    Film Credits: Margazhi Raagam, Thiru Thiru Thuru Thuru, Pookisham, Tamil Padam, Ethirmarai, 180, Vazhakku EN 18/9, Thangameengal,Vallinam, Spanish Masala (Mal), David (Hindi), Thupakki, Thaandavam, Vallinam, Thangameengal, YAYA, ONE (Telugu), Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam, Ithu Kathirvelan Kadhal, Golisoda...

Quote Originally Posted by gbalaji View Post
    How about generating 48fps quick time and edit in FCp timeline which will auto adjust sequence timebase based on qt frame rate base
    The one issue you'll run into here, and it's quite an annoying one, is that you'll lose all your native RT Extreme acceleration when working in FCP on non standard frame rates. That is a surprisingly big headache when it comes to actually editing long form stuff as you are constantly rendering, often even the simplest things, just to get playback.

Michael's influence on tools that have become standard in the industry is deep rooted. And he continues to innovate. Huge asset here.
    Steve Sherrick
    Chief Collaborator
    Modern Vintage Media
    STEVESHERRICK.COM
    Local 600 DIT/Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Parkes View Post
    Michael, I just have to say having you around these forums is awesome - your awareness of not just the current workflows but also what people are doing on the cutting edge to make things work is both inspiring, and a useful reminder to everyone that this is an industry which is at all levels make-do, by which I mean it's one where you do whatever is necessary, to make the films you want - and sometimes that means INVENTING a workflow...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
    Michael, I too extend a super-hearty thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    Michael's influence on tools that have become standard in the industry is deep rooted. And he continues to innovate. Huge asset here.
    +1,000,000...

All the best,
    Tom Gough
    Digital Imaging Technician
    FLOW-MPS.com
    IMDb

Michael,

Do you have any idea how they edit "The Hobbit". Are they by any chance editing in Avid & if yes what the project settings & workflow
    Thanks
    G.Balaji
    www.gbalaji.in
    gbalaji@gmail.com