Thread: Leaving the Red-One ON and RECORDING until it fills the Red Drive ??

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Leaving the Red-One ON and RECORDING until it fills the Red Drive ?? 
    Is it possible to leave the Red-One ON and RECORDING until it fills a 320GB Red Drive without harming the camera?

We are shooting something that there is no way of telling when it will happen. Therefore, we figured that if we just kept the camera recording it would capture the moment eventually. And, no, it is not possible to view the image through the viewfinder or monitor for the entire time.

Any advise or help is appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

There should be no harm to the drive or the camera.

I have never tried filling the drive up entirely, but I have often filled it to 80-90% of capacity, there should be no physical damage to the equipment as a result, but if you are really unfortunaty maybe you will get an error when it gets close to 100%. However I honestly think it will run smooth untill 100% and then stop recording with an error message saying disk is full.

Try it before you need it, and see what happens, it is highly unlikely that any damage to the equipment could occur.
    RED EPIC DRAGON, EPIC-M #646, EPIC-X DRAGON #250, Scarlet-X P/L #2467 "Harbor", RED ONE #476 MX "MOTHER"
    Commercials | Live | Concerts | Corporate | RED rentals
    Red Pro Primes T1.8: 18,25,35,50,85,100 (all metric), red CF zoom 18-50 T3 (imperial), Red Pro Zoom 17-50mm T2.9 (m), Red zoom 50-150 T3 (m) + 300mm T2.8 (i)
    Leica Summilux-C series on order.
    www.groovyentertainment.com/english/

Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right. ~Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by George D. View Post
    Is it possible to leave the Red-One ON and RECORDING until it fills a 320GB Red Drive without harming the camera?

We are shooting something that there is no way of telling when it will happen. Therefore, we figured that if we just kept the camera recording it would capture the moment eventually. And, no, it is not possible to view the image through the viewfinder or monitor for the entire time.

Any advise or help is appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Should do no harm to the camera.

If you are present and watching, you can also use pre-record on the R1 and trigger the record to start 30 seconds ago. Great for wildlife shooting.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Portland, ME; Boston, MA
    RED ONE #172MX
    EPIC-M #1053

Generally never a problem. You can create a set of the camera generated quicktime wrapper files in RCX that won't be present on the disk.

Quote Originally Posted by D Fuller View Post
    Should do no harm to the camera.

If you are present and watching, you can also use pre-record on the R1 and trigger the record to start 30 seconds ago. Great for wildlife shooting.
    +1 on this.

I would turn off proxies generation on the camera - it takes a very long time for a full drive and better the camera doesn't even try if you are going to record 100% capacity.

Other than that there should be no problem.

I'd advise a test record, filling the drive, well before the shoot just to shake out any issues.
    Director/Digital Camera Operator/2nd AC/DIT/Data Manager
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by ericyoung View Post
    I would turn off proxies generation on the camera - it takes a very long time for a full drive and better the camera doesn't even try if you are going to record 100% capacity.

Other than that there should be no problem.

I'd advise a test record, filling the drive, well before the shoot just to shake out any issues.
    Also a good idea.

This may be out of the question, but I figured I'd throw it out there...if you can rent a R1 SSD side module and some SSD mags, you'd be in better shape when recording to full capacity. I've done this more than once on Epic and never had a problem. Haven't gone more than 80% or so on a Red Drive, and even then was not doing so in one full go. If the camera can be manned (or triggered remotely), it may be wise to do the occasional bump and roll (i.e. stop the camera recording and start again right away)...without generating quicktime proxies, the turnaround time is fairly quick between even long rolls. At least that way, you won't be risking an entire drive's worth of material.
    Between the great things we cannot do and the small things we will not do, the danger is that we shall do nothing.
    - Adolph Monod

www.clintlitton.com
    www.obpfilms.com

Red One records in 2GB chunks. So in theory if there's a problem you still won't lose the entire clip.
    Director/Digital Camera Operator/2nd AC/DIT/Data Manager
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

filling it till 90% should be fine
    I shot an hour at the time during shows on multiple cameras and never had problem due to capacity limit.
    Any drive over 90% may cough.
    Red did a f.. good job with those drives btw