Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: SERIOUS contrast problem with RED One MX

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 SERIOUS contrast problem with RED One MX 
    Hi all. . .

A friend of mine brought his brand new Scarlet (with Canon) mount over to our house today to do some comparison tests, and I have to say, I really liked the new camera.

In doing a test, we lit a candle and illuminated a book shelf using that candle and nothing else. While both cameras had virtually identical noise characteristics, I did not expect the ABSOLUTELY HUGE difference between the contrast of the Scarlet to the contrast of my M-X One. It is sooooooo different, it almost appears as if we shot the One in a seriously thick haze.

I do not see anything on the OLPF. We used the same settings in the same position using the very same lens (not a different lens with the same settings, but the very same lens). What possible explanation could there be for this enormous contrast, and what can be done to eliminate the "fog" in my machine?

Thanks.

Stephen
    RED One M-X "Lewis" (#791)
    First feature film, Works in Progress, out on DVD (Vanguard Cinema).
    Second feature film, Terminal, now in post-production in Kansas City and scheduled for a late 2014 release.
    Third feature film, The Reel, currently in pre-production and scheduled for production during fall 2015, followed by fourth feature, Dust, in fall 2016.

How are you viewing them? Possibly in RCX? If so, are you using the same color and gamma spaces or are they defaulting to different settings?

We used Premiere Pro with identical settings. It's absolutely shocking the difference. 4K for both cameras.

Stephen
    Second feature film, Terminal, now in post-production in Kansas City and scheduled for a late 2014 release.
    Third feature film, The Reel, currently in pre-production and scheduled for production during fall 2015, followed by fourth feature, Dust, in fall 2016.

You guys both did a black shade calibration before testing?
    Dp Reel
    http://www.joncarrdp.com
    Camera & Lighting Rentals in NYC
    http://www.visualcinema.com/rentals/cameras/
    Instagram
    http://instagram.com/joncarrdp
    EPIC-X DRAGON #5359 GN​-X Schneider Xenon FF primes PL
    It's REDcode or no code...

Post an R3D still of both cameras. Be interested to play with them and someone can probably explain what's happening.

Neither of us did a black shading. How does one post an R3D?

What I do know is that if I drop the shadows on the RED One and toy around with it in the Premiere Pro controls, I can eliminate the fog from the shot, but the image is then at least a stop darker.

I was shocked that both cameras, using the same lens and same sensor looked so very different upon changing to identical settings.

Thanks guys.

Stephen

I have both cameras. Never seen this issue. I'd say something is amiss.
    I love lamp.

With scarlet you can view redcolor 2 and redgamma 2, which is much lower contrast, so I know a lot of people change contrast and saturation in camera, is it possible that you didn't account for those changes in camera when comparing? When we went from red one MX to epic, there was definitely a difference in the image quality but not like you are describing.

Tim
    Local 600 DIT
    My Personal Portfolio:
    www.sutherlandprojects.com

In REDCine X there is a button to export a single frame as an R3D. This can then be uploaded to a website or www.YouSendIt (free service) and provide download information.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Pruitt View Post
    Neither of us did a black shading. How does one post an R3D?

What I do know is that if I drop the shadows on the RED One and toy around with it in the Premiere Pro controls, I can eliminate the fog from the shot, but the image is then at least a stop darker.

I was shocked that both cameras, using the same lens and same sensor looked so very different upon changing to identical settings.

Thanks guys.

Stephen

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Yes, please put up the single frame R3D trims and I'll take a look. I've not seen this before. I've ran most RED cameras for comparison tests and I can't understand this difference. Perhaps measuring the R3D files will illuminate the issue for you!

Graeme
    www.red.com - 6k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    FLUT™, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms, REDRAY 4K delivery