Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: FINALLY!!! Got my Canon mounts and just tested the hell out of it!

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Claus Mueller View Post
    I‘ve just bought the new Canon 300 f/2.8L IS II and now thinking about buying the 500 f/4L II or 600 f/4L II when they are available. Want to use them for sports so tripod plus Wimberley Head is not always an option.
    Mounting EPIC plus 300 f/2.8 (2.4 kg/5.2lb) on a Gitzo 5561T monopod should be no problem without support, but how would you mount the new 500 or 600 on a monopod (3.2 kg/7 lb and 3.9kg/8.6 lb)?
    Quite easily actually... But the balance point is wrong because the camera is heavier than a EOS MK4... But don't for the love of god put the mono pod under the camera and hang a 600 off the mount. It will just bend everything...
    The 300m canon less is lighter than the RED 300mm.

And yes, I need to go on a diet.. Christmas was a bit to filling.
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

RED DRAGON #456, RED EPIC X #612, RED EPIC X #1137

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I don't know if you have these lenses, but these have impressed me a whole lot:
    35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 135mm f/2L

I agree about the 24mm f/1.4L. It's on my camera a lot of the time. And like you said the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS is amazing!

If you don't own one, pick up the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 (or wait until the new version comes). There's nothing else like it in that price range.
    Yep, Im lucky enough to have them all, tested them all.. Ill post the shots later.. :)
    The 11 to 16 tokina though I don't have.
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

RED DRAGON #456, RED EPIC X #612, RED EPIC X #1137

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

Thanks Mark, for my needs the 500 would be the sweet spot between size, weight and price. But the balance point with the new 500 is even worse than the „old“ 600 (3.2kg vs 5.4kg).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Toia View Post
    Quite easily actually... But the balance point is wrong because the camera is heavier than a EOS MK4... But don't for the love of god put the mono pod under the camera and hang a 600 off the mount. It will just bend everything...
    The 300m canon less is lighter than the RED 300mm.

Bang for buck the Canon bright 85mm f1.2 primes are as sharp as Master Primes. $1550 dollars Vs $8,000... other than having teeth for my preston and follow focus units to hang off (ARRI), The Canon does exactly what the Master prime does...
    Mark, this thread is so useful, thanks a lot !

1. I remember Jim did a test and was disappointed by the Canon lenses. You seem to really enjoy them...
    2. Aren't Master Primes more expensive ? I thought they were $20K per lens... ?
    3. I'm a fan of the Canon 50mm 1.2. How did it perform compared to the 35 and 85mm ?

Good to know that your mount is functioning perfectly! My al canon mount is losing connection with my 85mm 1.8 and 200mm 2.8, the apertures keeps blinking and with the 200mm 2.8 I cant even set the aperture. Really sad, I hope its something that can be fixed with a simple firmware update. For now Im stuck with my Nikkor lenses with a novoflex adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Antonescu View Post
    Mark, this thread is so useful, thanks a lot !

1. I remember Jim did a test and was disappointed by the Canon lenses. You seem to really enjoy them...
    2. Aren't Master Primes more expensive ? I thought they were $20K per lens... ?
    3. I'm a fan of the Canon 50mm 1.2. How did it perform compared to the 35 and 85mm ?
    - "2" - master primes are around 20k usd:)
    Sidney Lexy Plaut
    filmmaker.
    Epic Package. Complete set of rehoused Cooke s2&3 series 2000...18,25,32,40,50,75,100,152,203
    Rehoused Kowa anamorphic 40,50,75,100 - refurbished Kowa anamoprh. 40,50,75,100 and one more set of rehoused Cooke s2/3 on the way.
    www.vimeopro.com/sidneydp/sidneydp

We just shot a piece with all Canon glass and the 70-200 is absolutely the standout couldn't agree more. it is a spectacular lens on the Epic!
    Jason Diamond
    The Diamond Bros.
    @jasondiamond

2 Dragon's avail and ready to fly.

Rocket-X's

Leica-R Duclos Cinemod 19,24,28,35,50,60,80,90,100,135,180
    Avail NYC and anywhere trains, planes and automobiles go.

The 24mm 1.4 is my favorite. I have one that was hit by a machete on a shoot in Brazil about 7 years ago and it is still going strong. Can't say as much for the camera. Recently shot a commercial using the 24-70mm 2.8 which comes in a close second to the 24mm.
    A Peter Strietmann
    plaidass1@mac.com
    [url]https://peterstrietmann.com

"Read or bleed people, learn or burn."

Zoikes! That looks like an awful lot of stress on the mounts at the lens/extender! Is that a 2x AND a 1x on there? Is your Red mount Ti?

Mark thank you for posting, this thread is very useful!