Thread: Has anybody used CRLS (Cine Reflect Lighting System) light?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    A Kollege just send me two more Links of Youtube where Christian Berger also explain the working of the Light and how he works on the Set with it.

CRLS - Cine Reflect Lighting System - Part 1

CRLS - Cine Reflect Lighting System - Part 2

More of my inovations

Wenn etwas nicht klappt, probier einfach was anderes, vielleicht klappt das ja auch nicht.

Quite the system.. Where can you rent them in oregon
    Motorizedprecision.com
    Oregon Based Cinematographer / Creator of Kira an innovative new high-speed camera robot.

Epic X DRAGON Canon Cinema Primes EF

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jim View Post
    Glad to see that CRLS is working directly with Dedo now, seems like a perfect marriage of technologies and philosophies. Would be very interested to try out the parallel beam attachments for the 400D and Classic series heads. That 1200w HMI head looks like it could be used for other tasks like taking the place of a 2K Xenon fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki Murashige View Post
    Glad to see that CRLS is working directly with Dedo now, seems like a perfect marriage of technologies and philosophies. Would be very interested to try out the parallel beam attachments for the 400D and Classic series heads. That 1200w HMI head looks like it could be used for other tasks like taking the place of a 2K Xenon fixture.
    The 1200w Dedo is gorgeous! I'm still bummed about missing out on a great deal on an ex-demo one. The precision of the beam and the zoom range (when combined with the sheer output of the light) makes it something very special. There's a lot you could do with it.

FWIW, the Bay Area company Visionsmith (Hexolux lights) has had the K-Flect system in their catalog for awhile but it is shown as "out of stock." Not exactly sure where this fits in with CRLS - is that a different incarnation of the K-Flect system? Their site is where I first saw the video that is linked above. Is the CRLS kit available somewhere?

http://visionsmith.com/kflect/?v=7516fd43adaa
    Scarlet Dragon
    Scarlet-W

Quote Originally Posted by Mark K. View Post
    The 1200w Dedo is gorgeous! I'm still bummed about missing out on a great deal on an ex-demo one. The precision of the beam and the zoom range (when combined with the sheer output of the light) makes it something very special. There's a lot you could do with it.
    Hiya Mark,

The 1200w Dedolight I was referring to is actually a new design similar to a Molebeam or Xenon as shown in the video. It's designed for a large high-output beam with parallel rays, and intended to be used with the CRLS system. But I was thinking up other uses for it. I've only had a chance to play with the more traditional Dedolight 1200w HMI at trade shows but I'm in love with the 400D. I wish they would make an 800w and a 1600w, but I heard they had cooling issues with the 1200w design that took some time to work out, so I'm guessing anything larger is not likely in the near future. Anyway, if you've still got that M18 then it sounds like you don't really need it! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    FWIW, the Bay Area company Visionsmith (Hexolux lights) has had the K-Flect system in their catalog for awhile but it is shown as "out of stock." Not exactly sure where this fits in with CRLS - is that a different incarnation of the K-Flect system? Their site is where I first saw the video that is linked above. Is the CRLS kit available somewhere?

http://visionsmith.com/kflect/?v=7516fd43adaa
    Thanks Terry,

There was some information about the connection between Christian Berger's original CRLS system and the K-Flekt system here: http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....highlight=CRLS

Not sure we have the whole story of what went down, but they are definitely two competing products now. I don't know if CRLS is widely available in the US yet. I've yet to try any iteration of the system myself but I think it is interesting. Seems like it would be best utilized to augment an existing lighting package since you can't really make a huge soft light or fill a large area with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki Murashige View Post
    Hiya Mark,

The 1200w Dedolight I was referring to is actually a new design similar to a Molebeam or Xenon as shown in the video. It's designed for a large high-output beam with parallel rays, and intended to be used with the CRLS system. But I was thinking up other uses for it. I've only had a chance to play with the more traditional Dedolight 1200w HMI at trade shows but I'm in love with the 400D. I wish they would make an 800w and a 1600w, but I heard they had cooling issues with the 1200w design that took some time to work out, so I'm guessing anything larger is not likely in the near future. Anyway, if you've still got that M18 then it sounds like you don't really need it! ;)
    Ah, gotcha! Just watched the video - the new CRLS70 fixture looks super useful.

The standard Dedo 1200w is clearly a very rare beast, but it's a very different tool to something like the M18 (which kicks ass, but is a comparatively blunt instrument to the Dedo). The big deal with the Dedo is that the optics allow it to get down to something like a 5 or 6 degree spot. Which let's you put a lot of light in a very precise space.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark K. View Post
    The standard Dedo 1200w is clearly a very rare beast, but it's a very different tool to something like the M18 (which kicks ass, but is a comparatively blunt instrument to the Dedo). The big deal with the Dedo is that the optics allow it to get down to something like a 5 or 6 degree spot. Which let's you put a lot of light in a very precise space.
    Yup, for sure. There's nothing like a Dedo for that kind of use. I'm mostly interested in Dedo HMIs because I'd like to get away from using Joleko 800s so much, since they're so big and clunky - its just hard to convince smaller rental houses to invest in Dedo HMIs and things like CRLS since they're not as versatile or as rentable as Jokers and Arris.