Thread: Has anybody used CRLS (Cine Reflect Lighting System) light?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 Has anybody used CRLS (Cine Reflect Lighting System) light? 
    I always liked their idea, but I need to hear from people who has already used it..

Just to clarify something.. I have seen their dvd and videos, and I have a good idea of what it is..

What I need is the opinion or real users.. What are the cons and the pros from their experience..

In case you have not used it, but you know somebody who has, can you send me the link of the review or webpage, or even his email..

Thanks in advance..
    Teamwork allows ordinary people to
    accomplish the extraordinary.

I tried it at a workshop at the Danish Film School. Did not get a lot of time with hands it, but saw Christian Berger demonstrate a lot. Great, great system with excellent light quality/optics and super accessories. Lovely approach.
    But I make low budget docs with kids in tight spaces, so I just use the same approach with a tungsten fresnel and mirrors, reflectors and bounces. Will get a Dedo hmi head when I get some more money. I place the lamp head at the base of a light stand. point it upwards and redirect the light from mirrors and reflectors on the light stand. Voila, one light head and stand, several light points.
    Director,
    The Inclusion Center,
    Center for Rummelighed
    www.rummelighed.org
    Copenhagen, Denmark

I've talked to them in the past about getting a workshop going in the US. I love the approach and would like to learn the system in a hands on workshop environment.

I'll check in with them and see where they are at with their schedule.
    Steve Sherrick

I have never worked with their system, but I have been using single lights with 2 reflectors for years.. We usually use matthews reflectors -we have used pie pans, stainless baking sheets and even hand mirrors.

The system uses very specific reflectors that have various properties for achieving a specific look, intensity, wrap, etc. Very mathematical stuff. Also key is the parallel beam HMI.
    Steve Sherrick

I have some of their reflectors but did not use them on a real set yet. I don't have their panibeam light but use them with source 4 lekos and source 4 joker 800. here is a test i did with a 5k xenon, extremely powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpPdDBKGZdI

Thanks guys for the replies..

Thanks Ariel for that link in YouTube..
    Teamwork allows ordinary people to
    accomplish the extraordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujtim Ereqi View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies..

Thanks Ariel for that link in YouTube..
    You are welcome!

I will use them this week on a concert so maybe I will post some more footage or pics :)

At first i have to say that I never worked with the CRLS Lighting System. The System was development from the Austrian Cameraman Christian Berger, which was nominated for the Oscar for his Camerawork "The white Ribbon". .
    He uses this System in all his Feature Films.

I also find a Video on Youtube, which explain a Lot.

Greets
    More of my inovations

Wenn etwas nicht klappt, probier einfach was anderes, vielleicht klappt das ja auch nicht.

Worked with it a couple of times after a workshop with Christian here in Amsterdam. Interesting concept which requires a different approach of lighting and thinking , but once you get used to it it is great . Does not work that well when you mix it up with regular stuff, has some interesting mirrored surfaces that give you directional light that no other unit can produce. Not for small crews, though it draws only 1200 watts per unit the lamps are 35 kilos each. Takes more time to set up until you get used to it. Has some color fringing on the edges.