Thread: Where does Red Rocket help?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
    Adding Alchemy or grain definitely slows it down. My meager understanding that RR doesn't help with Alchemy and the like.

-a
    It actually would since your CPU would no longer be debayering the R3D files and would now be free to work on other stuff (adding grain, etc...)
    Paul Sage

So would this be correct?
    In a Premiere workflow...
    RR debayers allowing playback in realtime at what size: 1/4, 1/2 or full size?
    CUDA and the Mercury playback engine aids playback of effects
    CPU helps render effects too?

And if instead I wanted to render out some ProRes files from RedCineX with a basic color grade, the RR would accelerate that process? By what factor for 5K?

Thanks again guys.

-a
    Red Epic-X #152 ("Bonhoeffer") available for rent -- Special pricing for Scarlet-X / Epic-X / Red One owners -- Free U.S. Shipping!
    The latest CanonL Lenses: 16-35mm F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8, 50mm F1.2, 100-400mm F5.6
    Details about Red Epic Rental: www.IndieCameraRentals.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fred B View Post
    Thank you for correcting me D. Now, what use can AE use it for? Just output? Or actually rendering? Same with the other programs, is it purely output monitoring or can you actually leverage the render power in the other apps?
    Actual rendering. It's not really an output card except in RCX/RCXPro. The RR handles the debayer of the R3D, and I believe the decompression as well. (Although that is just an assumption on my part.) Then it hands it over to AE for the rest of AE's work. How much that helps depends on what else you have AE doing. In a heavily-layered comp, debayer may be a small part of the render process, so you may see only a small speedup. In a simple comp like a noise reduction pass or an uncomplicated chroma-key, on my system (8-core MacPro) it speeds up the render by about 2x.

You guys are all being really helpful. Thanks. It does seem like there is a certain amount of clarity that would be helpful about RR and various workflows... I have a Rocket but haven't used it yet. I'm trying to decide whether to sell it and buy a better computer or to keep it and buy a cheaper computer. I'm capturing everything in 5K. Playing back on a decent iMac, I can get 1/8 real time, but no more. Adding Alchemy or grain definitely slows it down. My meager understanding that RR doesn't help with Alchemy and the like.

It would be great if there were performance charts... modern CPU with lots of RAM... playback on Premiere with Mercury playback, comparison would should realtime performance running with and without RR.

-a
    I wouldn't want to be without the RR on an 8-core MacPro with 24G RAM and an 8-Gig RAID 0. Take that for what t's worth.

The chart you are talking about would be pretty complicated, given all the variables: CPU, GPU, Software, etc, etc, etc.

Alchemy appears to be all processor, and RCX Pro isn't really optimized for multiple cores yet, so it really slows things down.

So would this be correct?
    In a Premiere workflow...
    RR debayers allowing playback in realtime at what size: 1/4, 1/2 or full size?
    CUDA and the Mercury playback engine aids playback of effects
    CPU helps render effects too?

And if instead I wanted to render out some ProRes files from RedCineX with a basic color grade, the RR would accelerate that process? By what factor for 5K?

Thanks again guys.

-a
    RR debayers allow playback in realtime at full res on a robust system, 1/2 res on most any system. I don't have a monitor that will play back full size, so that's not something I can comment on. (all this depends a lot on the disk speeds)

The rest of your answers really depend on what else is in the system. Especially in Premiere. With a Quadro 4K doing the CUDA chores, most things happen in real time with good resolution and most of the effects you'd use. Most of my work in PPRO is 1080, and everything is real time. Everything.

In RCXPro, I get consistent 5K real-time playback at 1/2 resolution. Except using HDRx, where the two streams tax the system pretty hard. (That's where two rockets would be helpful.) I don't use Alchemy very much. Without it, RCX renders any grade at very close to real time for 5K, better-than-real-time for 4K. HDRx is half that speed or maybe a tic slower. I'm usually rendering to DNxHD, but those speeds hold for ProRes as well. A little slower for H264.

A note: only one program can use the Rocket at a time. If you want to go from PPro to AE, you have to close PPRo first, so it gives up control of the Rocket.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Portland, ME; Boston, MA
    RED ONE #172MX
    EPIC-M #1053

simple ? here: whats the difference bet decompressing and debayering?
    Jack Shanahan
    www.jackshanahan.com
    EPIC-X + Zeiss ZF Duclos Mods

Red's monochrome Bayer image is Redcode compressed before recording. In post. or camera monitoring, it has to be decompressed first, before the deBayer algorithm can be used to derive an RGB colour image. Red Rocket must therefore also be decompressing the Red R3Ds.
    Director/Digital Camera Operator/2nd AC/DIT/Data Manager
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

David,
    Those are the answers I've been looking for. Thanks much. I owe you one.

Now if Apple would just release a new Mac Pro so I could actually use my RR. It is just sitting there on my shelf not being very Rocket-like. I still may need to sell it to buy the Mac Pro and then buy a RR as soon as I can afford one again.

-a
    Red Epic-X #152 ("Bonhoeffer") available for rent -- Special pricing for Scarlet-X / Epic-X / Red One owners -- Free U.S. Shipping!
    The latest CanonL Lenses: 16-35mm F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8, 50mm F1.2, 100-400mm F5.6
    Details about Red Epic Rental: www.IndieCameraRentals.com

Do I have to do anything in PPro or AE to toggle on the RR acceleration or does it just take care of that for me in the background?

I got the note about closing one before opening another in order to get control of the Rocket, here's my issue:

Today I booted up fresh, never opened RCXP12, went straight to PPro and started pulling selects and even at 1/4 res with a 2009 MP with 10GB RAM, Quadro 4000 and a RR it is still not as responsive as I expected, soooo, I started looking at prefs, etc... no love.

Anybody know the scoop? Just want to make sure my Rocket is in the game ;-)

Cheers - #19

Go to your Project Window: top left area....then right click ANY R3d file...and choose Source Settings...go to bottom of that new window and choose Enable Rocket....the Rocket card is then enabled for all the clips and timeline.
    Matt Gottshalk
    http://www.mcgeedigitalmedia.com
    https://vimeo.com/86056260
    EPIC-X "Deckard"
    Duclos 11-16mm
    RPZ 17-50mm
    Red 50-150mm

On a new Mac Pro with RR, can you edit full rez in premier?

Quote Originally Posted by D Fuller View Post
    This is not correct. Both Premiere and After Effects can make use of the Red Rocket. So can Avid and Resolve.
    CUDA does not help with the debayer process. In the absence of Red Rocket, that falls to your CPU.
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."

That was helpful, than David for taking the time.

Quote Originally Posted by D Fuller View Post
    Actual rendering. It's not really an output card except in RCX/RCXPro. The RR handles the debayer of the R3D, and I believe the decompression as well. (Although that is just an assumption on my part.) Then it hands it over to AE for the rest of AE's work. How much that helps depends on what else you have AE doing. In a heavily-layered comp, debayer may be a small part of the render process, so you may see only a small speedup. In a simple comp like a noise reduction pass or an uncomplicated chroma-key, on my system (8-core MacPro) it speeds up the render by about 2x.

I wouldn't want to be without the RR on an 8-core MacPro with 24G RAM and an 8-Gig RAID 0. Take that for what t's worth.

The chart you are talking about would be pretty complicated, given all the variables: CPU, GPU, Software, etc, etc, etc.

Alchemy appears to be all processor, and RCX Pro isn't really optimized for multiple cores yet, so it really slows things down.

RR debayers allow playback in realtime at full res on a robust system, 1/2 res on most any system. I don't have a monitor that will play back full size, so that's not something I can comment on. (all this depends a lot on the disk speeds)

The rest of your answers really depend on what else is in the system. Especially in Premiere. With a Quadro 4K doing the CUDA chores, most things happen in real time with good resolution and most of the effects you'd use. Most of my work in PPRO is 1080, and everything is real time. Everything.

In RCXPro, I get consistent 5K real-time playback at 1/2 resolution. Except using HDRx, where the two streams tax the system pretty hard. (That's where two rockets would be helpful.) I don't use Alchemy very much. Without it, RCX renders any grade at very close to real time for 5K, better-than-real-time for 4K. HDRx is half that speed or maybe a tic slower. I'm usually rendering to DNxHD, but those speeds hold for ProRes as well. A little slower for H264.

A note: only one program can use the Rocket at a time. If you want to go from PPro to AE, you have to close PPRo first, so it gives up control of the Rocket.
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."