Thread: These Cables Work. (And why)

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #21 Line Level Audio In 
    Whilst we are on the case with the Please can Balanced Line Level in be enabled.

Usual -8db tone with respect to peak level and registers at -18 on the meter system. Better still use PPM balistics on the Audio level meters so -8db tone lines up at PPM 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Shanahan View Post
    PROBLEM SOLVED: FRESH BATTERIES IN MIC :)

I have just recieved two of these cables and am trying to use them with a Senheiser shotgun mic. I am getting lots of noise and feeback from the camera...

Maybe I have the wrong mic? It is an unidentified Senheiser shotgun. It has a AA battery, a little black switch ("BATT. ON") and then an inlayed switch that is red with a line and an angled line next to it. The LED doesnt seem to illumitate when I push the switch up to BATT ON. I am not sure if this mic is needs phantom power or not...maybe that is the problem?

However when I put the dB above 35-40 I can hear noise/feedback from the fan (which changes pitch as per fan speed), also clicking while recording, which all amount to an unusable signal...

Any advice out there? How to ID an unmarked Senheiser Mic? How to know if thats the problem?

EDIT: I tried multiple batteries....

EDIT 2: When AC power is attached the noise is DEF greater.

EDIT 3: I think I am using the Sennheiser ME66/K6
    I'm going to revive this here. I've been searching around but can't find any answers. I am also getting the fan feedback when the dB is pushed up. Tried multiple mic setups and I can't get it to go away. Any ideas?

I want to add to this that if you use a Sennheiser EW100 wireless system the CL 1 mini cable that is provided does not work with the mini jacks on the body. Sennheiser does not connect the ring on the one end of the cable. The good news is, any standard TRS or stereo mini to mini cable will indeed work to connect a EK100 receiver to the body mini jack.

If your good with your soldering skills you could cut the one end off of the Sennheiser cable and solder on a new one.
    Ben Coleman

So on the CL1 modification...would you just take tip>tip ring>ring and sleeve>sleeve? I have the EK100 Evolution G3 wireless mic. i would like to connect form the receiver straight to the Scarlet if i can. I think i read that the system feeds line level audio. So i would just select Line level in the Scarlet?

Thank you guys for this thread...very helpful.

Will HOSA XVS-102F work when phantom power gets enabled on Scarlet firmware?

6. #26 Where to get these audio cables in germany. 
    Hey,

I had the same problems with those cables. In germany you don´t get the Hosa cables. So anyone looking for the right cables in germany try digitalaudioservice. They have those cables in the store http://digitalaudioservice.av-cables...P3-3-5-SW.html
    Or they prepare the length you need if you call them.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Devine View Post
    ... I believe you can use one of those zoom recorders to pass the audio on to the epic. Use the onboard mics or plug in your own condenser. It provides phantom power.
    so does this mean you can plug the headphone out from a Zoom recorder such as the H2N into the Epic mic in ? isn't the headphone out too 'hot' for a mic in ?

Reviving this because I can't find confirmation; will the HOSA XVS 102F/101F pass phantom power through?

Also, how is the unplug-while-phantom-power-is-on-ruins-your-sound/mic issue on Scarlet/Epic? Someone on the first page mentioned the R1 did some very bad things if you did this.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 07-18-2012 at 02:13 PM.

First I should say that I know nothing about audio.

I recently bought a Sennheiser MKE 400 to have a small microphone to help syncing the audio when editing. Yesterday I spent a few hours to get it to work:-) I wasn't successful. That was before I red this thread.

The Sennheiser has a 3.5mm TRS mini cable. Is it the wrong kind of TRS cable? Do I need an adapter? Or am I just using the wrong settings in the camera?

Get a 3.5mm stereo (female) to 3.5mm mono (male) adapter at Radio Shack... It should be like $2-5. No phantom power, but you shouldn't need it with the MKE400.