Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Big new release...

Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lowe View Post
    What will be the most efficient way to move footage from Red Cine X into Adobe Premiere, so I can use Red Gamma3, Alchemy, etc? I am editing at 4K, so DPX is not really an option. It bogs my system down too much. Premiere cannot import EXR. I am on a PC so ProRes is not an option.
    ProRes plays back just fine on Windows. So, I'd say it is an option. I don't think there is a way to generate ProRes using Windows though.

Cineform should be an option - but I am hazy on the details because I don't use it.

If you are happy with image sequences, PNG has some lossless compression options that should prove satisfactory.

Also ... offline 2K editing in DNxHD with online conform to DPX may be more reasonable that you think. Its still a huge bandwidth hit on the system, but by the time you edit you should be able to have a lot less resources on your timeline and thus get better performance results. I don't know if that will be enough to tip your system into usable.

Just some scattershot ideas, maybe one will help.
    Alexander Ibrahim
    Director & DP
    editing/color correction/compositing/effects
    http://www.alexanderibrahim.net
    http://www.zenera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Ibrahim View Post
    ProRes plays back just fine on Windows. So, I'd say it is an option. I don't think there is a way to generate ProRes using Windows though.

Cineform should be an option - but I am hazy on the details because I don't use it.

If you are happy with image sequences, PNG has some lossless compression options that should prove satisfactory.

Also ... offline 2K editing in DNxHD with online conform to DPX may be more reasonable that you think. Its still a huge bandwidth hit on the system, but by the time you edit you should be able to have a lot less resources on your timeline and thus get better performance results. I don't know if that will be enough to tip your system into usable.

Just some scattershot ideas, maybe one will help.
    Cineform is great - very similar to Prores

Great, as usual. Thanks.
    Kaku Ito/rawesome!

Epic-M DRAGON, Epic-x x2, RED ONE MX, Motion Mount PL, Motion Mount EF, Canon Ti Mount, RED PRO Prime Set, Zeiss Lenses, 17-50mm RED Pro Zoom, 18-85mm RED Pro Zoom, RED ROCKET X, x3 RED ROCKETs, DaVinci Resolve, Cubix, Quadra 5000, Fully loaded New Mac Pro with Sonnet Echo Express III/R, few Mac Pros, few MacBook Pros, Sony BVM-D24, Sony 84" 4K TV, Panasonic 65 " Series 12 plasma, Calman with Klein probe.

Rawesome! One Stop RAW Visual Production Service

Yes!

I just saw Tom's post and it is amazing how much can change in just a few days. Premiere Pro has extensive EXR support now with the ProEXR plugin. With ffmpeg and Debugmode Frameserver now one can encode ProRes on any Windows NLE (incl Premiere Pro) and the latest beta Resolve for Windows features native ProRes encoding. There are GUIs starting to pop up for both Windows and Linux with easy ProRes encoding. (AnotherGUI for one) That said, I stay away from ProRes and the like unless a client forces it upon me. Of course, B44 EXRs are the way to go... Or PIZ EXR if not disk I/O restricted. Cineform MOV is buggy but Cineform AVI is a great option and well worth $299. Much more flexible and efficient (VBR) than DNx or PR. It is resolution unrestricted, so that enables 5K+ and it does save a bit of space over EXR. Still it is much more lossy than EXR, so I would only go for Cineform if severely disk I/O bottlenecked.