Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED ROCKET CARD DYING AFTER UPGRADE

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Halsell View Post
    There seem to be a high failure rate with the Rocket. Warranty policy is not Red's strong suit
    Worrying for someone who just ordered! Hope I get lucky!
    Sérgio Perez

EPIC-X 2029 "Lilau" in Macau!

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

Same problem here.
    A Peter Strietmann
    plaidass1@mac.com
    [url]https://peterstrietmann.com

"Read or bleed people, learn or burn."

Dont worry, they will ONLY make you pay $3000.00 for out of warranty repair, and give you a GENEROUS 90 day warranty for that repair. :)

Last film we used 9 Reds. F65 tests scheduled for Thursday.

I like the camera, dont like being scammed on the rocket, even if its a small sum in the big picture.

Thanks so much for posting this ...... which is why this site is so valuable to all. I am going to have my geeks check this out.

Cheers!

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Our Rocket engineering team is tracking this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Halsell View Post
    There seem to be a high failure rate with the Rocket.
    Not true. The incident report and repair tickets on the Rocket is an extremely low percentage of the total number of Rockets out in the wild.

BC

Thanks Brent for the correction. And given that the failure rate is small, could the warranty policy be reviewed? Meaning -Is there a possibly that out of the gate the warranty on new Rocket could be extended or modified?

Banned
    Brent,

I am sure you have a better overview over the numbers.

But also true that my Red Rocket lasted little over a year and gave up while set in a stationary tower.

Also true that I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed when all I could get out of the Red team was
    'sorry - we have no idea what happened. all we can say is that you need a replacement at $3k.'

Which left me with a 90 day warranty and no idea how to prevent potential future failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    Our Rocket engineering team is tracking this thread.

Not true. The incident report and repair tickets on the Rocket is an extremely low percentage of the total number of Rockets out in the wild.

BC

Banned
    Back then I suggested by the way to have some sort of an extended warranty program for the rocket such
    as 'red armor'.

I am sure a lot of owners would like to sign up for that and if the failure rate is as low as indicated by
    Brent this should be a win-win situation for everybody.

+50,000

I have a BT rocket, and would gladly fork out more dough to get some more warranty on it. 4800 dollars is a big chunk of change, and something as simple as a FW upgrade burning out the card is really scary. insurance won't cover malfunctions, and the customer overall is completely SOL. I'm sure a lot of people would want to just buy a RED armor for their existing rocket cards, just for the extra peace of mind for another 2 years. If RED claims it to be a very low percentage issue, it would be a win win situation on both sides, business wise and for appeasing customer worries.

edit: axel totally typed faster than me on this one :)

I hope its an isolated case. I have a system with 2 RR's inside and I am about to upgrade the firmware, i really hope the upgrade doesn't break it.

What If I document the whole upgrade process in video just in case something goes wrong???

Baselight Color Correction and DI, DaVinci Film Transfers (S35,35,S16 & 16) & Tape to Tape
    Smoke Advanced & Smoke HD ON-Line Suites
    (3) GFX/VFX Suites
    (2) Final Cut Pro Suites with HD-SDI Monitoring and IO
    ProTools 5.1 HD Suite, with HD-SDI monitoring/IO,recording booth & FX-Music Libraries
    (2) On-Set workstations powered by RED Rocket™ with 16TB RAID 6 storage & Dual-ESata CFReaders