Andrew, hang in there. In my opinion, the other options worth looking at are Alexa (might be too expensive to own a complete system), Sony F65 (Not available yet, and probably too expensive), The Canon C300 (Still a lot to be determined about this camera) or the Sony F3 with S-Log (Not as good as Red IMHO). So, you have to make sure the grass is really greener with these other options. I just think for the money, it's hard to beat RED right now if you're going to own the camera. So, waiting a few more weeks, although not ideal, might still be the better choice.
I feel you ur pain. I am frustrated as well but do not see the value in giving up at this point. Jim said from day 2 that the canon mounts would be the hold-up (wish he said it day 1). But when I look at the list I am amazed at how far they have come. Really they are only a couple of weeks behind original estimates. Not bad in the grand scheme. Life is marathon not a sprint. Just keep the faith and know you would not feel so passionate about this if it wasnt such a dope camera.
I can understand impatience but canceling a Scarlet order placed on the 10th of November now? Even if you ordered Canon mount, I think it honestly won't be that much longer. If there's one thing I've learned from following Red, it's patience. You've used the Red One M and MX... if those cameras will work for you, they're going for a steal right now. But to consider a completely different camera system altogether just because a little over 2 months after your deposit you haven't got an allocation? I think that's just getting too emotional and irrational, in my humble opinion.
It's a business decision for you, though, so if the rentals are breaking the bank, just buy a Red One... but if you can hold on even another month or two, it's worth it. Some of us have been waiting for Scarlet since the original announcement in 2008 of 3K for $3k... I am one of those people. In all that time I've seen the price of the camera go up dramatically, as well as its capabilities. Unlike you, I wasn't fortunate enough to order on November 10th or earlier. I've got a ways to go before my camera is allocated, probably, even though I went PL mount. But the way I see it, I've waited almost 4 years already, what's another month or two? Then again, I'm not relying on it to be my primary way of making money like you might be. You've obviously got paid gigs you have to do, and if your bottom line after returning all sorts of stuff to Red will suffer with another month or so of renting, do what you have to.
If you cancel, there's plenty of us who will move up :)
I think you should be a couple of weeks to getting your camera. You have endured the long swim to shore and seems to me you're giving up with the beach in sight...
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|