Thread: I'm breaking up with RED

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 I'm breaking up with RED 
    Junior Member Andrew Droz Palermo's Avatar
    Let me first begin by saying up until this point, I've been a brand loyalist (maybe even an apologist at times).

When I moved from film and digital photography to filmmaking a few years ago, I chose to use the Red One for my first video (White Rabbits - Percussion Gun) and immediately fell in love with it. It had all of the post production options that I had grown to rely on in RAW photography, and just simply looked stunning. Sure it had some post-production hiccups with color-grading and editing, but in my mind, it was worth it.

After that I shot a number of shorts and music videos on the camera. When the time came to DP my first feature (You're Next, purchased by Lionsgate), I wanted to use the MX sensor. As a result, two bodies were sent to Red and upgraded and I was stunned at the image improvement.

Fast forward to today. It's more than 2 months after I placed my Scarlet order (November 10th) and still no news of when I'll be getting the camera. Not word one. Sure, the Bomb Squad Reps have been nice and all, but after sinking $12,000 in rentals on cameras that should have been the one I've purchased, I'm left with nothing more than a bitter taste in my mouth.

With 3 features and a few music videos around the corner what am I to do? Continue to burn money on rentals? Cross my fingers?

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to ship back all the camera support gear to Red (at yet another financial hit to me) and take a leap into a camera I'd prefer not to use.

Like most break-ups, it's difficult to do the thing you know is best. From where I'm standing it looks like I'm going to have to move on.

What day did you order?
    J.H.C Epic-X #03520 (Sherry Baby)
    http://Coleman-Media.com

If you break up from red... where do you go to? Red's the prettiest girl on the block, and nice too. Having a scarlet in my hand, all I can say to you is you should think this through a little, and try to be patient. It's worth the wait.

Best thing is to keep watching the list, you must be moving up on it. It's a putty to bail right now.
    Director|DP|Adventurist
    Carbon Dragon | Dragon M | Epic X
    http://digitalcrossing.ca http://seregetisafarico.com

@Joseph - November 10th. I've received everything except the camera.

@Michael - I know, she really is. That's the tough thing. But, we all know the best on the block isn't always the best for you. I just can't imagine I'll be getting it in the next 2 - 3 weeks. Is your's a Canon mount? That seems to be the big holdup from what I can ascertain from the list.

If you buy a used Red One instead, you can shoot your features at 4.5k.
    Possibly better pictures than the Scarlet...
    Than sell it for a Scarlet when you're ready.

Mark Pugh LA, and AUS.

www.markpughfilms.com
    Dragon #292

That's not a bad idea, actually - hadn't crossed my mind, to be honest. Now off to find a Red One MX with Canon mount ....

You ordered 7 days after the release of a camera that people have been waiting 3 years for and your surprised you haven't got it yet? I ordered on the 6th and don't expect it for another month or two. Patience my friend, it will all be worth it in the end. If you were ahead of me, I would probably just sympathize with you and tell you to cancel your order :)
    J.H.C Epic-X #03520 (Sherry Baby)
    http://Coleman-Media.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Coleman View Post
    You ordered 7 days after the release of a camera that people have been waiting 3 years for and your surprised you haven't got it yet? I ordered on the 6th and don't expect it for another month or two. Patience my friend, it will all be worth it in the end. If you were ahead of me, I would probably just sympathize with you and tell you to cancel your order :)
    I think he's surprised that he doesn't know when he'll actually get it, not that he hasn't got it yet....and no-one actually knows right? Not even RED. I think it's fair to be frustrated and look elsewhere. I'm staying with my purchase of the Scalet and practicing Zen every day, but I, like many many others, are struggling to keep a smile our faces. It's been said a billion times, but I'll say it again (hell, I haven't piped up for a couple of months), all we want is some sort of clarification. The hottest chick on the block does the same thing..."are we going out? Are we official!!?? (I ask)...."and she simply won't answer, cos she simply doesn't have to. She's that hot. I know there was an order update not long ago, but it was anything but clear, and didn't mention the one thing we are all dying for.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Scott View Post
    I think he's surprised that he doesn't know when he'll actually get it, not that he hasn't got it yet....and no-one actually knows right? Not even RED. I think it's fair to be frustrated and look elsewhere. I'm staying with my purchase of the Scalet and practicing Zen every day, but I, like many many others, are struggling to keep a smile our faces. It's been said a billion times, but I'll say it again (hell, I haven't piped up for a couple of months), all we want is some sort of clarification. The hottest chick on the block does the same thing..."are we going out? Are we official!!?? (I ask)...."and she simply won't answer, cos she simply doesn't have to. She's that hot. I know there was an order update not long ago, but it was anything but clear, and didn't mention the one thing we are all dying for.
    Exactly! Instead of going out with my friends on a rare night off, I'm heartbroken on the internet looking up other cameras and figuring out how I can make them work. Breakups are tough.

Banned
    Why not offer a premium for an early Scarlet? Some lucky early owners could possibly endure the pain of waiting for maybe extra $5k in their bank account. Just a thought.

edit: I waited for the Epic for two years...painful? Yes. Worth the wait? Yes.