Thread: RE-conform in Davinci resolve Help

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 RE-conform in Davinci resolve Help 
    Hi I've finished grading 3 reels of 6 reels film, but the editor changed the 1st reel of the film.
    and he is going to send me the xml for the new timeline he has made.
    I need to re-conform the graded reel to the editors new XML, is there a way that davinci re-conform automatically without losing the grading that I've done so far.
    best regards
    Rauf Zaza
    Film Director, Editor.
    Post Production supervisor.
    Founder of Cine4 co.
    Email: mraoofzaza@yahoo.com

(you can make the impossible ... very possible)

Create a new session and do your conform like normal. Then in the conform page, right click on your new timeline and select "colortrace". Then select your old colored session in the next page. You can manually trace from shot to shot or auto trace if the clip names are the exact same and source timecode matches.

Quote Originally Posted by raufzaza View Post
    Hi I've finished grading 3 reels of 6 reels film, but the editor changed the 1st reel of the film.
    and he is going to send me the xml for the new timeline he has made.
    I need to re-conform the graded reel to the editors new XML, is there a way that davinci re-conform automatically without losing the grading that I've done so far.
    You just load the project, add to the media pool any new footage, and "Load" the new XML in the conformance page. Technically you do not need to add to the media pool the footage since the XML will ask you if you want the media to be added automatically, but I have seen some error.

You use what Paul is suggesting (Trace) if you want to do a new project and want o to maintain it completely independent, but in your case, this is just a new version, hence the grading already done is transfered to the new timeline. Trace is also a valid way to do it, but is a lot much work than just load the new XML, where the grading is transferred automatically.
    Luis Otero

Colorist - Motion pictures painter..

Epic-X #1616 (Old Red One 711)
    I was scammed, and I love it...!

Digital Emulsion -
    Orlando, FL

IMDB: www.imdb.com/name/nm3889059/

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Otero View Post
    You just load the project, add to the media pool any new footage, and "Load" the new XML in the conformance page. Technically you do not need to add to the media pool the footage since the XML will ask you if you want the media to be added automatically, but I have seen some error.

You use what Paul is suggesting (Trace) if you want to do a new project and want o to maintain it completely independent, but in your case, this is just a new version, hence the grading already done is transfered to the new timeline. Trace is also a valid way to do it, but is a lot much work than just load the new XML, where the grading is transferred automatically.
    Yeah, its out of habit that I always create a new session when I change my conform of a timeline. This way I know that if something goes wrong with the xml or something else, I have a working timeline that I can go back to. Also, I like colortracing because I dont like to rely on the resolve automatically applying my color to clips when bringing in a new confrom/xml. By colortracing manually, I can be 100% sure that the correct color is being applied to the correct clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sage View Post
    Yeah, its out of habit that I always create a new session when I change my conform of a timeline. This way I know that if something goes wrong with the xml or something else, I have a working timeline that I can go back to. Also, I like colortracing because I dont like to rely on the resolve automatically applying my color to clips when bringing in a new confrom/xml. By colortracing manually, I can be 100% sure that the correct color is being applied to the correct clips.
    Paul,

You will not lose your timeline already graded. It is just a new version below the previous one on the list. You can go back to it whenever you want.
    Luis Otero

Colorist - Motion pictures painter..

Epic-X #1616 (Old Red One 711)
    I was scammed, and I love it...!

Digital Emulsion -
    Orlando, FL

IMDB: www.imdb.com/name/nm3889059/