Thread: Not excited yet about PC Resolve

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi Matt - Jeff posted his specs about the new six core based on a rampage IV in a previous thread. I'll try to find the link later on and post it here as well.. I stuck to those guidelines and am building one now for a small new studio I am launching.

Just a question (two actually :) )- Would you guys go for a GTX and a quadro or dual GTX's?

Can I hook up an external monitor from the Blackmagic card like a Plasma? (Directly from card to monitor? )

So to be clear - I am planning to hook up two Dell U2410 as primary interface monitors. Then a Panny as the calibrated monitor via the black magic card.
    If I plan to hook up another calibrated monitor on the desk where should that go? Does it come out of the black magic card and then line out from the monitor to the Panny?

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk.Attard View Post
    Hi Matt - Jeff posted his specs about the new six core based on a rampage IV in a previous thread. I'll try to find the link later on and post it here as well.. I stuck to those guidelines and am building one now for a small new studio I am launching.

Just a question (two actually :) )- Would you guys go for a GTX and a quadro or dual GTX's?

Can I hook up an external monitor from the Blackmagic card like a Plasma? (Directly from card to monitor? )

So to be clear - I am planning to hook up two Dell U2410 as primary interface monitors. Then a Panny as the calibrated monitor via the black magic card.
    If I plan to hook up another calibrated monitor on the desk where should that go? Does it come out of the black magic card and then line out from the monitor to the Panny?

Thanks guys
    I have GTX 285 and GTX 580, it's realtime for at least 15 nodes on HD. So 2x GTX works fine. Blackmagic recommends GTX 580 and Quadro 600..
    You can have HDMI and SDI outputs from Decklink card. So HDMI for the plasma, and SDI for another monitor? There's also component and composite outputs if that's what you need. And two interface monitors of course are ok.

Thanks Timo.

Do you think that the card can out put HDMI and SDI at the same time?

The Decklink card? Sure, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Teravainen View Post
    Sending Final Cut XML:s to PC Resolve haven't worked for me (same XML:s work on Mac Resolve)
    Hi Timo,

The FCP XML to Resolve/Windows works for us. Could you please check what codec you are using for these files on Mac? If it's an unsupported codec that could be the issue - nothing to do with XML itself.

Regards,
    Rohit

Thanks timo - That confirms me getting a decklink.

Just one little thing.

I see a lot of guys including myself asking their way around resolve, r3ds, back to premiere, so on and so forth.
    If anyone of you pro guys would be kind enough to make a small chart about their way they go around their workflow and what gear they use. I think it would be very beneficial to all and everyone can refer to it.

I mean the way they ingest the footage -> Edit -> export XML's or native -> to After effects if needed then finishing in resolve (on a calibrated monitor)..

Thanks. I know something like this takes time to do but I'm sure that many like me and those setting up a new suite would love a reference like this.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rohit Gupta View Post
    Hi Timo,

The FCP XML to Resolve/Windows works for us. Could you please check what codec you are using for these files on Mac? If it's an unsupported codec that could be the issue - nothing to do with XML itself.
    I had trouble with Prores PAL timeline, had to render to uncompressed QT. Also XDCAM HD or HDV quicktime wouldn't work in Windows. Prores HD works fine.

Just figured out some of my XML problems. It was a setting "Assist using reel numbers" that I had played with, and that caused XML:s not linking. I set it off, now XML import seems to work, even though there's a message after import that some clips are missing. But the timeline seems ok, which is the main thing of course. So my mistake.

Kirk, I definitely agree that a chart of different workflows and Davinci-tricks would be a great thing to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ruffo View Post
    Again, maybe I am missing something....
    Nope dont think so........