Thread: Easier way to re-lingk premiere to R3D files?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Easier way to re-lingk premiere to R3D files? 
    I've been doing a lot of off-lining in FCP and then finishing in Premiere. Unfortunately, when I re-link the media I have to navigate through to EACH R3D file, which is tedious. Is there an easier way for re-linking to the R3D files?

Yhanks
    Re #1313
    "Lucky!"

Just curious why you would be editing off-line files in Final Cut and then bringing it into Premiere and re-linking the R3Ds rather than editing the native files in Premiere to begin with?

To answer your question, I'm not sure why Premiere wouldn't auto-recognize the R3Ds after linking the first one, but you could fix this with a text editor. All you need to do is export a FCP XML of your edit and then batch re-name all of the referenced media to the final R3D media. Then save out and import your XML into Premiere.

YMMV on this since I haven't tried it, but that should work.

I have been having this same head ache.

I have 2 projects both cut in FCP that I've brought into Premiere via XML, which re-builds the project perfectly, but re-linking to .r3D's is a night mare and there's no fix on the internet I can find. I'm going FCP->CS5.5 because the editors of the 2 films I'm working on cut in FCP and I use CS5.5 to color grade via Premiere Pro .r3d raw access and magic bullet because we can't afford a suite.

I'd thought about re-naming via text edit but havn't had a chance to try it... I'll give it a shot this evening.

Kevin Rasmussen
    Cinematographer
    Toronto, Canada
    collectivevolution@gmail.com
    www.collectivevolution.com

4. #4 The Problem is.. 
    The problem is the nested R3D Directyories for each clip. I suppose an easy work around would be to do a finder search by .R3D and drag all the R3ds into ONE folder, nixing the proxies, which I guess are somewhat useless now, anyway. I just tried this and it works fine. It, of course breaks the proxies, but I don't use them anymore anyway. BTW, does anyone else still find Clipfinder a VERY useful tool?
    Re #1313
    "Lucky!"

Try this:

FCP 7 XML -> import into RCXP
    RCXP -> export new XML
    PPro - > import XML from RCXP

Not sure if it will work without errors, but it's worth a try.

- Oliver
    OliverPeters.com
    digitalfilms.wordpress.com

6. #6 Another element 
    I think I've discovered another part of the problem. On my edit I have a lot of long takes. and the _001 gets dropped in the XML for some reason, so you have to manual go back and link them.. Very tedious
    Re #1313
    "Lucky!"

7. #7 RCxP is the answer! 
    Well, importing the XML into RCXP and then doing a shallow export to premiere worked great with 2 caveats. 1. The audio and I don't believe transitions follow. And 2. My clips had a scaling of 0 and had to be scaled to 100% before I could see thm. I also had to make a RED sequence and copy and paste all of my clips to it, because the sequence you get from the XML import is a dv codec.
    Re #1313
    "Lucky!"

8. #8 Or use After Effects 
    I don't know why Oliver didn't mention using After Effects as the bridge to get between FCP7 and Premiere Pro. He has a great workflow tutorial on his website that worked when I tried it.

http://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2010/08/18/red-post--the-easy way iii/