Thread: Noisy Epic footage?

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Yes and no. Scaling the full sensor down to 2K with a good algorithm will reduce noise to some degree, but if you use either size at original rez, it'll be the same.
    Regards,

Uli

My Red is called Vertov after a Russian avantgarde filmmaker, a pioneer in modern cinematography, a true revolutionary who later suffered under Stalin's bureaucracy.

Quote Originally Posted by David Battistella View Post
    If I set a WB and look on the EPIC and paste it onto the other EPIC shot it matches perfectly.
    If I place that same look on the REDONE footage it does not match at all.This is all probably due to the different proccessing going on in each camera which is to be expected.
    Strange...

Noise wise...just about the same..but cleaner all around on the EPIC
    7:1 and RC 36
    Image wise these cameras are both excellent. One is much lighter though. :)

David

David
    That's about the same result I ended up with. The R1 is noisier, which is to be expected since it is 4K (and from my understanding using a smaller area of the sensor).

We had a good debate about exposure and the dreaded NOISE in shots. Surely, a great deal of your images comes down to exposure.

You can point your camera and adjust focus by eye, as Mark explained he does, and you could get some nice shots, like he has.

OR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqTFB...layer_embedded

If you want more tech to make sure exposure is what you are after, this video shows what most of us are talking about. Adjust the histogram for light level, try not to get too deep into noisy dark's or clipped lights. There are a few tools that can be used in camera to help with exposure as well, this video is a great/short lesson and I hope it will add confidence to your exposure skill set.

Best,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Toia View Post
    All I need to see in my monitors is that there is no blown out skies, and there is info in my black areas... It's as simple as that.
    Some of you guys are making this out to be way more than it is. Or more difficult than it needs to be.
    My kids shoot my EPICs with ease, none of them come to me with badly exposed images either and they don't even know what a histogram is or let alone understand it. I just say spin the aperture ring around until the picture looks right... So far they have 100% success rates.

I've been shooting RED for 4 years now... (yes I was a very early adopter - build 14 days.. camera 158 was out first)

Back when a highlights were a huge problem... I was getting perfect exposures then, and still get perfect exposures now.
    It's not rocket science Will... why do you think it has to be.

Also, What I see in post is what I want I shot on set... why would it be any different? ... All my data, goes to REDLOGFILM, all my onset meta data gets deleted, as I don't need it. I create new LUTS that suite my purpose, I don't use any onset meta data at all, ever.

Maybe you should get to know your cameras a bit better. :))) The word "EASY" is an understatement.
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."

Just a weird question. If we black balance with the port cap on the camera, the noise bar indicator doesn't change and is still peaked because no light is hitting the sensor. Is this correct?

I just did a quick test. I set up my Scarlet with the port cap on. I went into 1:1 mode. If you change the White Balance the noise level changes. The lower you get (tungsten and lower) it's really noisy. The closer to daylight you get the better it looks.

This is noticeable in RAW check as well. You can also see the difference in NOISE when changing the ISO. It's way less with ISO 800. Best way to see this is to set the Camera to 3200 ISO 800. Then hit the RAW check button (assigned). It's really really noticeable.

So, does this mean that changing white balance does indeed change noise level, regardless of if there are any lights on at all?

I'm going to record a couple clips and hopefully in RCX this is just metadata and doesn't really affect noise. W will see though in a bit.

Ok, so the good news. Just based by Eye at 200% viewing. All the settings done on camera can be matched exactly in RCX. So, the ISO 800 3200 Clip when set to ISO 320 5000 appears identical to the ISO 320 5000 shot in camera. Yay RAW!

In my opinion, shooting at ISO 800 tungsten is unacceptable for noise. I will shoot at 320 tungsten. as that is acceptable noise to me. ISO 800 tungsten is unacceptable to me personally.