Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC AND FCP TEN...(possible workflows)

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I just cut a project with a similar workflow to the first one above but with one variation. I left my project at 4K and used the proxy media setting. I had no trouble with playback on an i7 Macbook Pro, just had to wait out the background rendering of the proxy media.

I have a question about your resolve workflow. Does this relink the original R3D files? If not, is there a way to modify the XML file before importing into resolve to link the R3D files? I assume a find and replace may be in order but don't know until I look at the XML file.
    Christopher J. Hagan
    Cinematographer | Director of Photography
    Scarlet-X #647 - Steadicam Scout HD - Letus Helix #17 - Cincinnati, OH

www.cjhagan.com

Any options for editing pro res proxy media in FCPX, transfer XML back to RCX, relink with original media, color grade in RCX, bring it back to FCPX for finishing?
    Jerrod Cordell
    A.L. Productions
    www.Angry-Leprechaun.com

Or is there a way to relink to original r3ds in Resolve? Never used Resolve before so I don't know.
    Jerrod Cordell
    A.L. Productions
    www.Angry-Leprechaun.com

If the original R3D files are in your Resolve media pool, Resolve should find them without any trouble. FCPX to Resolve is actually pretty simple to manage. If you're interested, you can't go wrong by giving it a try with Resolve Lite.

If using FCP X and RESOLVE (reconnecting to R3D media) then you don't need to create ProRes 4444 4K media from redcine-x. A pro-res proxy 4K will do just fine in FCP-X. Now the reason I suggest 4K proxy instead of 720P proxy is any pan/scan you do at 720P, (in theory I haven't tested this), may not cary across to 4K media. Someone else can confirm or deny this idea. In at least FCP 7, X and Y moves are based on pixel values or some abstract value, not percentage. So a x move of 5 in 720P won't be the same distance in 4K. Any scaling should be ok since that is percentage based.

Another theory (haven't tested) is if you do have 720P proxy media, load it into a 4K sequence. It may SCALE automatically to fit, and zero out (make it act like it's 4K native material as scaling is concerned). You can check this by loading 720P footage in a 4K timeline, and see if you see a SCALE setting higher than 100% on the scale attributes. If it fills the 4K container, and scale is 100% then you are all good. If scale is 200%+ then it won't work.
    Red #2316

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hagan View Post
    I have a question about your resolve workflow. Does this relink the original R3D files? If not, is there a way to modify the XML file before importing into resolve to link the R3D files? I assume a find and replace may be in order but don't know until I look at the XML file.
    I have tested this.

I have not tried a relink in Davinci because it linked to the QT offline media from FCP.

I acutally did this and it worked.

Send from FCP X to Resolve via XML
    Open in resolve.
    Export XML from resolve
    Open XML in FCP 7
    Export FCP 7 XML
    in CLIPFINDER Run FCP workflow to relink r3ds
    OPEN Clipfinder XML in resolve.

It actually works!

David
    "I think it's time."
    Battistella

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrod Cordell View Post
    Any options for editing pro res proxy media in FCPX, transfer XML back to RCX, relink with original media, color grade in RCX, bring it back to FCPX for finishing?
    Perhaps a future version will incorporate the importing and exporting of the FCPX.xml format )because it is a new rich XML protocol not just XML because it includes roles.

This will be interesting with roles.

VFX shots can be assigned a role of VFX
    problem shots can be assined a role
    close ups
    wide shots
    day scenes
    night scenes

You get the point.

When you open this on the other end each role will show up in its own track in sequence with the track name carrying the role.

In audio terms rather than track one, two, three etc.

Dialog
    music
    fx
    ambience
    Interview location one
    interview location two
    fx 2

The roles will be split into their own tracks in protools or logic.

its like your notes to the sound designer or colorist can be defined in roles which get presplit into tracks.

David
    "I think it's time."
    Battistella

Quote Originally Posted by David Battistella View Post
    I have tested this.

I have not tried a relink in Davinci because it linked to the QT offline media from FCP.

I acutally did this and it worked.

Send from FCP X to Resolve via XML
    Open in resolve.
    Export XML from resolve
    Open XML in FCP 7
    Export FCP 7 XML
    in CLIPFINDER Run FCP workflow to relink r3ds
    OPEN Clipfinder XML in resolve.

It actually works!

David
    I wonder if that workflow would work for sending a FCPX to RCX.

Again, speaking speculatively but I wonder if this would work:

Edit in FCPX
    Use Xto7 for transferring FCPX XML to Sequence XML
    Open it up in Clipfinder
    Send Clipfinder XML to RCX or Resolve.

Also, will Clipfinder work with Epic/Scarlet and RCX Pro?

Again, never used it so I don't know.

EDIT: Well since I forgot Clipfinder no longer exists, is it possible to relink to original media in RCX Pro?
    Last edited by Jerrod Cordell; 02-01-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Had typed original on an iPhone.
    Jerrod Cordell
    A.L. Productions
    www.Angry-Leprechaun.com

So I tested it out (and finally figured it out) and this seems to work really well for if you want to color grade the original R3Ds.

1. In RCX Convert all of your clips individually to whatever file size you want in Pro Res 422 (I chose 720p to save on space and render time).

Side Note: Make sure you name your clips the same as your original R3D. It won't link back up if you don't.

2. Import Clips as original media.
    3. Edit your clips as you would a final edit. Do all of your audio in the Proxy timeline. Just don't color grade or do titles yet.
    4. When you've finished your edit, export XML.
    5. Open the .fcpxml file in Xto7 ($50 in the App Store). This will convert the .fcpxml file to a standard .xml file.
    6. Open the XML file in RCX. Select the folder containing the original R3Ds. It will relink the entire project to their original Raw files.
    7. Do your color grading in RCX.
    8. Export 4K ProRes 4444.
    9. Create new 4K Project. Import your 4K ProRes file.
    10. Copy audio files from the Proxy Project to the final project. (I have not tested this with a project containing in camera audio, so you all will have to figure that part out on your own.)
    11. Add Titles and finish.

Now you have a 4K Project that you color graded in RAW.

Note: When you're done in RCX, you can also export the XML to Resolve for further color grading.
    Jerrod Cordell
    A.L. Productions
    www.Angry-Leprechaun.com

I don't think this Xto7 is needed for the resolve workflow is it using FCPX? I haven't tried it yet.
    Chris McKechnie
    DP/Cinematographer/Editor
    web: http://digitalcinemaguy.com
    RED Epic M Package
    Zeiss Contax Cinema Glass Set (18, 28, 35, 50, 85, 100, 80-200)
    MoVI 10 System
    RedRock Wireless Follow Focus
    Wireless HD streaming
    Microplasma & LED Lighting