Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: NATURAL HISTORY CINEMATOGRAPHY

Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell M Johnston View Post
    Thought I would chime in here, not shooting anything high end like you guys are. One day I hope haha. Right now I am loving the new Sigma 60-600mm Sport lens. Its been great but my go to lens for wildlife work is my Sigma 120-300 2.8 and even with a 1.4x on its really sharp. I love that it does not extend during zooming and has great weather sealing. Its crazy sharp wide open as well, and for how much they cost its a no brainer really I think.
    Thanks Russel. I have not used the 60-600 but it looks like a great single lens to cover almost anything. BTW, check out the Atamos Lockdown Safari competition that Rand posted about here: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...ri-Competition. Only a few days left, but thinking it may be fun to pull my camera out over the weekend and film some garden critters.

I am planning on going out tomorrow and doing some filming and seeing what I can get for sure in that contest.

Here's a short video I put together from my last trip before the lockdown. We visited the Central Kalahari Game Reserve, Makgadikgadi and Nxai Pan National Parks in Botswana. Filmed on too many cameras: Red Weapon Magnesium, GoPro Hero 8, DJI Mavic Pro, Canon EOS RP, and Samsung Gear 360.

Not Red related, but I just found out about GoPro Labs (https://gopro.com/en/us/news/gopro-labs-launch) and it looks like it may be really useful for wildlife/nature work. You install the labs firmware on the GoPro Hero 8, then you can create QR codes on a website to activate special features, or set custom settings. Particularly interested in the motion detection option and delayed recording. As an example, you could create a QR code (and print it out or save it on your phone for later) that will tell the GoPro to start recording a timelapse 10 minutes before sunrise. So you can set up the camera in the evening, and collect it after sunrise the following morning. And the camera will turn off till it's time to record, so it won't run out of batteries. Pretty neat.

Good trick to know about, Robert. Thanks for sharing.

Think a function like that could be built into Komodo firmware? I'd guess it just needs to use internal power management and some low-power mode to keep track of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Solowiej View Post
    Good trick to know about, Robert. Thanks for sharing.

Think a function like that could be built into Komodo firmware? I'd guess it just needs to use internal power management and some low-power mode to keep track of the time.
    It would be great if it was possible. The QR thing is really neat for multicam work as well: do all the settings in one place then just point each camera at the code to apply the settings. There's even a QR code for accurately setting the camera timecode and one that activates recording when the camera reaches a preset speed. Great for a crash cam.

Here's a video that goes over some of the features: https://youtu.be/nfnCpCtaRas