Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: NATURAL HISTORY CINEMATOGRAPHY

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Christian Munoz D's Avatar
    USA-Chile-Worldwide ----Red One & Epic Owner----
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Van Laanen View Post
    Love your work Christian. I will be doing similar work in NE Wisconsin as soon as my Epic arrives. Will be happy to share some stuff here, thanks for starting this.
    Thank you Mike. Everyone is welcome to share their work here, I hope this thread turns in a good source of information for all who are interested in wildlife film-making and all aspects of natural history.
    There are interesting sittings of mountain lions in NE Wisconsin and maybe it will be a good challenge for you and your Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Very nice work Christian. I'd love to know what fluid head you were using. That's some smooth work.
    Thanks Phil. I am using the Miller Arrow 55 Sprinter II, 2-stage CF. Great lightweight support system but not the best with lens over 300mm. Over the years I have learned to use it in the wild. Not many lightweight choices out there.
    Christian Muñoz-Donoso

Equilibrio Films, LLC
    cmunoz at equilibriofilms dot com
    Studio: +1 646-397-9498
    Massachusetts, USA

www.ChristianMunozDonoso.com
    www.EquilibrioFilms.com
    www.WildViewSeries.org

Thank you Christian ,for sharing this,great work and great photography

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan De Fanco View Post
    Thank you very much for sharing--the footage is stunning but seeing your process is really invaluable. This is a side of cinematography I have immense respect for but only amateur experience with.

My first cinematography teacher was Tom Mangravite--cinematographer, sculptor, inventor, and World War II Navy Lieutenant Commander; the man shot over 3,000 commercials and 50 features. One day he suddenly broke up a lecture on filter factors-

"by tha way, ya wanna know how to shoot in the arctic and keep your downstairs warm? go to a diner, ask for a can a' peas, eat the peas, punch holes in the can, gotta be a big restaurant sized can, understand? then when you're knee deep in snow all day, hang the can from the tripod, throw some charcoal in--heats up the battery belt, heats up your lens gear, keeps the fluid in the tripod head and your arteries moving. where was I? oh yeah, filter factors..."
    It is a pleasure Ryan. Like your idea about the peas can, well I like the Idea of eating the peas and keep using my heat packs. Burning charcoal may keep away some animals and attract other ones. Maybe after a couple of hours of eating the peas will also “help” to keep the animals away , your crew too ;-)
    Christian Muñoz-Donoso

Equilibrio Films, LLC
    Massachusetts, USA

www.EquilibrioFilms.com
    www.WildViewSeries.org

Senior Member Costelloe Michael's Avatar
    Great post Christian,

Great work too, must require a lot of dedication. Ryan, you should start another thread on Tom Mangravite perhaps, 'Words of Wisdom from the field'. 'Eat the peas' has kept me chuckling for twenty minutes.

MC
    Michael Angelo Costelloe
    michael@stonecrossfilms.com
    www.stonecrossfilms.com

The NE WI cougars have not been verified yet, but there are a number of confirmed sitings in the SW section of the State. Believe me, if there is lion running around somewhere in Door County, I will find it. The wolf population has grown enough in the NW to get the species taken off the protected list. They are fairly easy to locate yet very hard to film in hardwood and evergreen forests. Let me know if you're ever in this area, would love to meet up for a cold one and talk shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Anderson View Post
    Really stunning footage Christian, as usual. As a biologist, I can attest to just how hard it can be to get close to Bobcats in the wild. Great results. And I think that it is especially cool that you are working with your son.

I'd like to add my opinion that a Natural History Cinematography section on Reduser would be really helpful and of great value for those of us engaging is this type of effort.

You out there Gibby? Kennan Ward? Others?
    Thanks Bud. Wildlife often times is challenging other times is surprising and always is inspiring and that is what makes you forget how hard is getting those shots that took days, weeks or months of your life.
    My son Moris and Christiaan from very little they worked with me, vacation time was always a shooting or location scouting trip to some place. Now my oldest son, Christiaan, just finish film school and Moris my youngest is a year away from finish film school. And I can tell you now, they are way more talented than their father :-P

Of course…. Steve, kennan, everyone! We need your voice here!

And Bud, Hopping to meet you down in Chile this year!
    Take care.
    Christian Muñoz-Donoso

Equilibrio Films, LLC
    Massachusetts, USA

www.EquilibrioFilms.com
    www.WildViewSeries.org

Really beautiful images.

This is a generous thread. Feels like its going to be around for a while.

Thanks for posting.

David
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Munoz D View Post
    I was asked several times on this forum to post my experiences and techniques shooting in the wild, but I have been a little cautious just because English is not my first language and sometimes my comments have been misinterpreted. Also I feel the main interest of this forum is about feature films and cine style cinematography.

On the other hand, I feel it can be a good contribution to our community to know all aspects of the cinematography not only cine style. Therefore, after long thought I decided to start this thread I call “Natural History Cinematography”, maybe not the perfect title but at least more elegant that “Shooting All Things in The Wild” or something like that.

Although filming wildlife and landscapes is my passion, I work on a wide range of subjects such as commercials, sports, feature films, documentaries, etc., in both EFP and cine style. So, if the client allows, I will post on this thread as much I can on the subject of Natural History shot mainly on Red One and Epic and sometimes on other kinds or camera brands if the moderators allow me, but from time to time I will throw in an off-topic subject if I feel we all can learn of it.

To start the thread, I want to share a piece on bobcats I shot in the winter of 2011 on the Red One. This piece is part of an Emmy award-wining documentary I shot primarily on Red One-M. On this specific sequence I used a motorized canon FD 150-600 f5,6 and a Canon FD 800 f5,6 both PL mount with ISO 320 through 1000. The shoot took over a week but the research period and the search for the right location and the right animals took a few years. Below there are a couple of stills with part of the setup we used and a few frames from the Red footage… enjoy!

Christian, Your work is a pleasure to see, Thank you for posting. Also your English is very good, I can offer no excuses for my non existant spanish or flakey French so so no appologies are needed !

Davez

Quote Originally Posted by SUNILPREM View Post
    Thank you Christian ,for sharing this,great work and great photography
    Quote Originally Posted by Costelloe Michael View Post
    Great post Christian,

Great work too, must require a lot of dedication.
    MC
    Thanks!
    Christian Muñoz-Donoso

Equilibrio Films, LLC
    Massachusetts, USA

www.EquilibrioFilms.com
    www.WildViewSeries.org

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Van Laanen View Post
    The NE WI cougars have not been verified yet, but there are a number of confirmed sitings in the SW section of the State. Believe me, if there is lion running around somewhere in Door County, I will find it. The wolf population has grown enough in the NW to get the species taken off the protected list. They are fairly easy to locate yet very hard to film in hardwood and evergreen forests. Let me know if you're ever in this area, would love to meet up for a cold one and talk shop.
    Thanks, Will be a pleasure. I was in Wisconsin a few months ago, interesting place. Do you know a mountain lion from South Dakota was tracked in a few different states including Wisconsin and end his journey in Connecticut not far from my home in Massachusets?
    Christian Muñoz-Donoso

Equilibrio Films, LLC
    Massachusetts, USA

www.EquilibrioFilms.com
    www.WildViewSeries.org