I was asked several times on this forum to post my experiences and techniques shooting in the wild, but I have been a little cautious just because English is not my first language and sometimes my comments have been misinterpreted. Also I feel the main interest of this forum is about feature films and cine style cinematography.

On the other hand, I feel it can be a good contribution to our community to know all aspects of the cinematography not only cine style. Therefore, after long thought I decided to start this thread I call “Natural History Cinematography”, maybe not the perfect title but at least more elegant that “Shooting All Things in The Wild” or something like that.

Although filming wildlife and landscapes is my passion, I work on a wide range of subjects such as commercials, sports, feature films, documentaries, etc., in both EFP and cine style. So, if the client allows, I will post on this thread as much I can on the subject of Natural History shot mainly on Red One and Epic and sometimes on other kinds or camera brands if the moderators allow me, but from time to time I will throw in an off-topic subject if I feel we all can learn of it.

To start the thread, I want to share a piece on bobcats I shot in the winter of 2011 on the Red One. This piece is part of an Emmy award-wining documentary I shot primarily on Red One-M. On this specific sequence I used a motorized canon FD 150-600 f5,6 and a Canon FD 800 f5,6 both PL mount with ISO 320 through 1000. The shoot took over a week but the research period and the search for the right location and the right animals took a few years. Below there are a couple of stills with part of the setup we used and a few frames from the Red footage… enjoy!

NOTE: I started here on Reduser a Natural History Filmmakers Directory open to anyone who is interested in wildlife and outdoor filmmaking with any level of skills and is not required to be a Red camera owner. Feel free to visit, contact colleagues or send your info to be included on the list. Thanks: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...860#post923860

My oldest son Christiaan camo in the bush waiting for the cats.

We normally do research in different areas before select the right shooting location to be sure the animals are there and active.
Tracks and prey help us in the quest.

A few frames from the Red footage from Redcine and "color-corrected" in photoshop in order to find the right look of the sequence