Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Its a great camera, but... some odd quality issues on #112

Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    red1225 I will jump on the pile and say that you act rude and arrogant in this thread towards the French and Mike Prevette (who I personally don't know). Handheld setups are a very individual thing for every operator and there's no "one way only" to go. It depends as much on the operator as it does on the particular camera and type of lens used - balance.

Chill and inform of us of your real name please so we know who not to hire when we're shooting in Brooklyn. No one likes arrogant know-it-alls.

Have a happy and productive New Year!

Florian Stadler, D.P., L.A.
    www.florianstadler.com
    www.buntefarben.com

Quote Originally Posted by florianstadler.com View Post
    red1225 I will jump on the pile and say that you act rude and arrogant in this thread towards the French and Mike Prevette (who I personally don't know). Handheld setups are a very individual thing for every operator and there's no "one way only" to go. It depends as much on the operator as it does on the particular camera and type of lens used - balance.

Chill and inform of us of your real name please so we know who not to hire when we're shooting in Brooklyn. No one likes arrogant know-it-alls.

Have a happy and productive New Year!
    This really IS a pile on post. I mean after all, the man DID apologize just in case he offended any french people with his earlier post. Which I don't really think he did.
    Director of Photography, Partner: Ahptic Film & Digital
    www.ahptic.com
    www.facebook.com/ahptic
    www.citycenterstudios.com

If you are going to hold the matte-box for handheld support, I wouldn't do it with the new generation of matte-boxes coming out. Arri would be a must for this as they are built to last and still I would not recommend it.Being a NY based rental house, I see the equipment coming back from jobs and I now understand how all the screws are loose and the swing away brackets are developing play, etc... and I am constantly repairing them to keep them up to par. But I cannot tell the user what to do. Just comes with the territory. If you want to keep your stuff new, do not rent them. As far as the Metric scales, try Century Optics (Schneider) as they rehouse lenses and probably can be done as a group buy? just my 2 cents.

Banned
    OK...I can tell I'm not welcome here.

No surprises with my package ok Jarred.

This thread started with "stainless steel versus aluminium7075" pl mount issue. I am not a Chemist so i was concern about that one a bit. I looked on internet for some answers. Thats what i found so far.

http://www.alcoa.com/mill_products/c...5techsheet.pdf
    "...Alloy 7075 sheet and plate products have application throughout aircraft and aerospace structures where a combination of high strength with moderate toughness and corrosion resistance are required..."

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/7075_aluminum
    "...7075 is widely used for construction of aircraft structures, such as wings and fuselages. Its strength and light weight are also desirable in other fields. Rock climbing equipment and bicycle components are commonly made from 7075 aluminum alloy..."

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/aluminfo.php
    "...7075 This is one of the highest strength aluminum alloys available. Its strength-to weight ratio is excellent and it is ideally used for highly stressed parts(...).Applications: Used where highest strength is needed..."

Maybe Aluminum 7075 its not as bad as thought first. Can anybody (RED?) tell me a little bit more about it, please? As far as i know all high end cameras use stainless steel mounts. Why did u guys pick 7075?

thanks a lot
    daniel

Quote Originally Posted by red1225 View Post
    OK...I can tell I'm not welcome here.
    You just need to be more tactful, simple as that.
    Chris Nuzzaco - Director of Photography / Colorist
    chris@chrisnuzzaco.com
    www.chrisnuzzaco.com

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    I had initially assumed the mount would be stainless steel. But I then I changed my mind with some demonstrations....

The decision was based on strength, weight and change over temperature. I saw tests with the 7075 that convinced me it was the right choice. While technical testing was done, the one that sold me was Jarred hanging from the end of a 4' steel bar that was attached to the lens mount, which was attached to the camera... and swinging from it. No change in the mount. None. Then temperature testing showed incredible stability of the mount. I think it is the way that the mount was designed... with 7075 in mind, that allows it to work so well.

The weight savings is tremendous over stainless steel. But the decision was based on the performance of the 7075 in this mount.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Jarred hanging from the end of a 4' steel bar that was attached to the lens mount, which was attached to the camera

Jim
    I can see the Ape comments flowing....

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    the one that sold me was Jarred hanging from the end of a 4' steel bar that was attached to the lens mount, which was attached to the camera... and swinging from it.

Jim
    oh boy here we go....

Wow. That was fast. Thank you Jim very much. Strong it must be. Aircraft wings use aluminum 7075. Note for dolly grips: try not to cross 770MPH speed. At that point camera will loose its warranty.