Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC being challenged by the 5D people...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 119
  1. #21  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    407
    nice pics Patrick.. amazing stuff.. it confirms my dream of a lamps free shoot :) Was born in CHUV hehe i miss those metros they had over the ground. I remember as a child waiting for the lights from the opposite train to appear in the tunnel. Gona definitely take my Epic (when i get it) to lausanne.
     

  2. #22  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    407
    thanks Andy.. very exciting info..
     

  3. #23  
    Senior Member Patrick Tresch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Switzerland, Lausanne
    Posts
    4,993
    And the good thing is :

    - you don't see the sensor pattern wich is really strong on the 5D. (you could've seen it in some extend with the One-M at high iso)
    - your sensor will not wary in the shot depending on sensor heat / darkness or light of the scene
    - NO blocking
    - noise is pleasing

    Pat
     

  4. #24  
    REDuser Sponsor Gunleik Groven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    13,354
    Quote Originally Posted by jorge krausch View Post
    i dont want to sound like a crazy guy.. but a deep part of me believes a future with lighting-free filmmaking. A sensor as sensitive as the human eye. Using real available light.. after all, isnt lighting basically a way to try to make an image equivalent of what the human eye sees? Lighting in the future i think will just be for artistic expression, to make images differ to what a person sees day to day. because the sensor will no longer need it. just a crazy theory
    No. Disagree! :)

    Lighting (in a dramatical/feature/fiction production) is about storytelling, moods and giving focus to what you want your audience to see and interpret.

    It is not about "being able to see what was in front of the lens" but about telling a story, giving a mood and support the actors, the plot and the story.

    Sometimes that is done in available light. Sure.
    But even then you choose a solution that fits the story....
    Life is good. So is RED...


    http://quine.no
     

  5.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #25  
    One thing to remember is that many cameras achieve their low light performance at the expense of dynamic range and resolution. REDs don't sacrifice either. I've seen low light camera tests comparing M-X to 5D2, and to say that the 5D2 looked ugly with blown highlights and posterized skin-tone is an understatement. The M-X looked just fine - best of the bunch in fact, and this was on a film-out to equalize all the cameras tested.

    Graeme
    www.red.com - 8k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    IPP2, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms
     

  6. #26  
    Senior Member Bob Gundu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,858
    I look at this way... if you don't need 4k or 5K images, why even consider a RED? Plenty of other cameras that are capable at HD. If low-light is more of a concern, than all the other goodies RED offers, I think the answer is clear what you need.
    ___________________________

    VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram
     

  7. #27  
    Senior Member Trevor Meeks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sonoma, CA
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunleik Groven View Post
    No. Disagree! :)

    Lighting (in a dramatical/feature/fiction production) is about storytelling, moods and giving focus to what you want your audience to see and interpret.

    It is not about "being able to see what was in front of the lens" but about telling a story, giving a mood and support the actors, the plot and the story.

    Sometimes that is done in available light. Sure.
    But even then you choose a solution that fits the story....
    Agreed. "Lighting free filmmaking" is just another way to say "lazy filmmaking" in my opinion.
     

  8. #28  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    407
    I totally agree Gunleik.. but thats what i meant by artistic expression or storytelling.. mood giving etc.. giving focus or molding the truth.. But it all started in my opinion because the first film stocks needed lots and lots and lots of light to get anything.
    I always found make-up and lamps-free filmmaking more fascinating. Lamps will remain but for exactly that.. mood giving and focusing us on certain things.. but real life doesnt do that.. its fiction. Which is ok if thats what you want the audience to sense.
    I dont know.. make-up and certain lights always made me conscious i was watching a film.. but thats me of course. I mean.. like those women who wake up with make-up on..
     

  9. #29  
    Senior Member Trevor Meeks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sonoma, CA
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    I look at this way... if you don't need 4k or 5K images, why even consider a RED? Plenty of other cameras that are capable at HD. If low-light is more of a concern, than all the other goodies RED offers, I think the answer is clear what you need.
    almost exactly what I was about to add to my other post. 'Nuff said.
     

  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by jorge krausch View Post
    i dont want to sound like a crazy guy.. but a deep part of me believes a future with lighting-free filmmaking. A sensor as sensitive as the human eye. Using real available light.. after all, isnt lighting basically a way to try to make an image equivalent of what the human eye sees? Lighting in the future i think will just be for artistic expression, to make images differ to what a person sees day to day. because the sensor will no longer need it. just a crazy theory
    This post makes me sad. Do people really think like this? Is this the attitude of "younger" DPs?
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts